Coach Messingham, I've seen both pluses and minuses ...

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Also,

Jimmy Johnson won a National Championship as a player at Arkansas and later won a Championship as head coach at Miami.

Johnny Majors won a national championship as an assistant at Arkansas and as head coach at Pitt.
Also Mike Michalske (Iron Mike), ISU head football coach 1942-1947. He won three World Championships in 1929, 1930 and 1931 as a player for the Green Bay Packers. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1970.

Mike Michalske HOF-resized.jpg

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
  • Creative
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
There's a lot of blaming Rhoads, but there was a massive drop off from Tom Herman to Mess, and I assume Rhoads micromanaged both. Mess is a below average OC at best. I don't know that he's the worst we've ever had (Steve Brickey), but he's not good. At all.
What was the name of the guy we had under Chizek that later ended up at Nebby?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I believe I said "previous" coaching staff. We're RIFE with championships with our current regime.
See post #56.

Also:

Pop Warner won national championships as head coach at Pitt in 1915, 1916 and 1918 and at Stanford in 1926.

By the way, you said previous coaching staffs.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Who here is "qualified" to give any kind of knowledgeable "take" on a college football coach? Come on.

When you hear CW say that Mess was lost and clueless then you kind of start to get an idea of how bad it really was...

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Who here is "qualified" to give any kind of knowledgeable "take" on a college football coach? Come on.

Very few of us. But we all have eyes, and we all saw his garbage offense. Exactly how much of that was his fault is debatable but you can't argue the results.

And unqualified opinions are kind of a staple of these boards. Without them what would we talk about after every game?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Very few of us. But we all have eyes, and we all saw his garbage offense. Exactly how much of that was his fault is debatable but you can't argue the results.

And unqualified opinions are kind of a staple of these boards. Without them what would we talk about after every game?
My unqualified opinions are fact - your unqualified opinions are garbage.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm and jbindm

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
It's hard to predict how Mess will do. As others have stated, his failure as an OC here was probably a result of many factors : Micromanagement, lack of talented players, inexperience, etc. People who commit to self-improvement (i.e. having a growth mindset) in their respective career, can get better - exponentially better in fact. I imagine Mess learned a LOT from his experience here - you have to in order to obtain a similar or better job. At NDSU, he served in the same capacity (job title-wise) as he did here. However, he was more experienced for sure, with more talent (unfortunately), and was in a proven system (so, it's hard to tell just how much play-calling "freedom" he had at NDSU - but it obviously may not have mattered). Anyway, I suspect that he is a much better coach now (and thus more prepared for a P5 OC job) than he was at ISU. Will that success be seen? Dana Altman (.339 Big 8 win%) and Greg McDermott are examples of "P5 rookie coach failures" who did much, much better in their second go-a-round. This could be true of Mess's KSU offense. Time will tell. We'll need to watch his play-calling ability and in-game adjustments, as well as his ability to recruit and develop players to fit his system in order to make a definitive judgment.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I zero percent miss messingham. I hope he stays there forever

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Had a buddy who played on the offensive side of the ball during those years. There were two coaches that he was happy were let go during his time on the team - Klenakis and Messingham.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron