Mosquitoes

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I was wondering how have the mosquitoes been in your area. I tried a new mosquito control and I have none in my yard, I live in a heavily wooded area with ponds in the area. With all of the flood waters this year I expected them to be bad. In the past years I could not go outside without spray on and I am wondering if it is working or it is a down year for mosquitoes. The product I tried is Mosquito Eradicator.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was wondering how have the mosquitoes been in your area. I tried a new mosquito control and I have none in my yard, I live in a heavily wooded area with ponds in the area. With all of the flood waters this year I expected them to be bad. In the past years I could not go outside without spray on and I am wondering if it is working or it is a down year for mosquitoes. The product I tried is Mosquito Eradicator.
I live in Minnesota and I can't go into the back yard even in the middle of the day without bug spray without getting eaten alive. And this is in the Twin Cities, not out in some backwoods. They have been thicker than average here in my opinion.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
They have thinned out since we hit our dry spell in July. Between the gnats and mosquitoes it was impossible to be outsider earlier in the summer.

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We have had much less this year than last year though July in KC, but their numbers have been increasing significantly these past two weeks.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Nothing bugs me more than a mosquito buzzing my ear in the middle of the night.

Lived in MN for 3 years. First year unbearable (knew why they kid the state bird is the mosquito). Second, year I'd cleaned out brush and high weeds, improved drainage, and trimmed up trees (BTW heavily wooded property). Mosquitoes were far fewer. Third year helicopters dropped pellets in the standing ponds. Mosquitoes were just plane absent. The second year modifications made the most difference. Basically, I increased airflow, thus evaporating rains and eliminating places of standing water.

Oddly, now living in the mountains of West Virginia where mosquitoes were like they were in California. Just plain missing. Not sure why. Maybe altitude. All I know is I love it.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I live in a wooded area with lots of water and they have been near existent this year in central Iowa. I think it's because of how dry it has been.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
They have thinned out since we hit our dry spell in July. Between the gnats and mosquitoes it was impossible to be outsider earlier in the summer.
This has been my experience in Marshalltown. My in-laws have a lake house in southern Iowa and they never have any mosquitoes. I don't understand why but it's awesome.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I live in Minnesota and I can't go into the back yard even in the middle of the day without bug spray without getting eaten alive. And this is in the Twin Cities, not out in some backwoods. They have been thicker than average here in my opinion.

Your mosquitos are the size of sparrows, so they should be easier to spot.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I have always said we have two types of mosquitoes in Minnesota. The little tiny ones that are able to squeeze through the little holes in the screen and the great big giant ones that rip the screen door off of its hinges.

The one time in my life where I've actually ran away from mosquitos was on a Minnesota fishing trip. Bought three Citronella candles, and we were going to fish off the dock. A swarm came in and we were both covered instantly, apparently they didn't give a **** about citronella. Could not smash them quickly enough, and just took off running.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Lot Environment: Dense woods

They were hammering us here from May to about mid July. We had slightly above average moisture with warm temps and they were thriving. We hit a dry spell about mid July and the mosquito infestation has gone down considerably.

My legs and feet are pretty veiny and they would just hammer me. I would have ten bites on each foot every day that just itches like crazy town.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The one time in my life where I've actually ran away from mosquitos was on a Minnesota fishing trip. Bought three Citronella candles, and we were going to fish off the dock. A swarm came in and we were both covered instantly, apparently they didn't give a **** about citronella. Could not smash them quickly enough, and just took off running.
About 35 years ago I was just a little further north at a relative's farm. We were going to see their cabin (literally just a hunting cabin) off in the woods. It was pretty uneventful getting there, but when we stopped at the cabin the squadrons found us. We ended up running back out of the woods. I was worried that we had left my senior citizen aunt behind but when I stopped running she was right behind me. I have never seen so many hungry mosquitoes.

This was at midday, by the way.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My wife bought a bottle of Cutter's Backyard Bug control that we still have in garage. We have not had the skeeter's or gnats that bad this year. I guess people swear by the stuff and it is suppose to last 12 weeks.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I agree that mine in DSM have gone down in the last month or so. It was the worst I'd ever seen in June. Couldn't be outside for more than 2 minutes without getting attacked.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Minnesota state bird eating a small child sacrifice at the zoo.

21585-8.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: wxman1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Soybean aphids have caused farmers to start dropping insecticide on their soybeans for about 15 years and it cleans them up pretty well by end of July.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron