Iowa Football Recruiting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Hey, reading about that dude who is jail that was a five star recruit for Iowa several years ago. (Just for reference not digging Iowa about him) I noticed in there that he was a partial qualifier, does Iowa still take those? Or does every recruit need to get a 24? Or do they use that matrix where if you take enough qualifying classes that you can get a lower ACT?
Why “Iowa”? Every school goes by the same set of rules, and that particular set was a long time ago. No idea how such matters have evolved in the meantime.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Why “Iowa”? Every school goes by the same set of rules, and that particular set was a long time ago. No idea how such matters have evolved in the meantime.

Is that a new rule made in the last month? My son ran into several different standards, and he was being recruited last year. Teammates of his went through the same thing over the last 3-4 years. I have no idea what set of rules you are talking about.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Is that a new rule made in the last month? My son ran into several different standards, and he was being recruited last year. Teammates of his went through the same thing over the last 3-4 years. I have no idea what set of rules you are talking about.
Williams must have been recruited what, fifteen or twenty years ago? The “partial qualifier” rule changed no long after that. I’m sure it has changed several times since then, and have no idea what the standard currently is. But at one point, there was no longer such a thing as a “partial qualifier”.

Again, I have no idea what the NCAA standards currently are. But conferences also have a tendency to set their own standards inside of that framework—and each school has their own individual standards.

But that long ago Hawkeye signee was a “partial qualifier” by what were then the NCAA’s standards. Whether (and how) Iowa’s admissions department accepted him was an entirely different matter.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Williams must have been recruited what, fifteen or twenty years ago? The “partial qualifier” rule changed no long after that. I’m sure it has changed several times since then, and have no idea what the standard currently is. But at one point, there was no longer such a thing as a “partial qualifier”.

Again, I have no idea what the NCAA standards currently are. But conferences also have a tendency to set their own standards inside of that framework—and each school has their own individual standards.

But that long ago Hawkeye signee was a “partial qualifier” by what were then the NCAA’s standards. Whether (and how) Iowa’s admissions department accepted him was an entirely different matter.

So you say every school has the same rules but then say you have no idea what the standards are.............so you have no idea what you are talking about.

Btw, there is no mandatory ACT score for ISU anymore. It’s a matrix that is fluid. I know wrestlers who have went to OU because they couldn’t qualify for ISU. So schools typically set their own standards. The big XII rule is whatever the student body rule is, that the athletes must follow that. Minnesota’s is vague and anybody can get in with the right connections. Minnesota and others don’t have partial qualifiers because their rules are set to let in anybody who they feel can help the school in different ways, hence no partial qualifiers because there are no set rules.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
So you say every school has the same rules but then say you have no idea what the standards are.............so you have no idea what you are talking about.

Btw, there is no mandatory ACT score for ISU anymore. It’s a matrix that is fluid. I know wrestlers who have went to OU because they couldn’t qualify for ISU. So schools typically set their own standards. The big XII rule is whatever the student body rule is, that the athletes must follow that. Minnesota’s is vague and anybody can get in with the right connections. Minnesota and others don’t have partial qualifiers because their rules are set to let in anybody who they feel can help the school in different ways, hence no partial qualifiers because there are no set rules.

If the wrestler is from Oklahoma, it's probably a different story when it comes to being admitted into a state school. The state of Iowa has its own standards for education and the 3 major state schools all have the same entry criteria but it's more or less based upon Iowa's HS curriculum I would imagine. Probably the reason why Jalen Hunt (former Iowa recruit) was able to get into MSU since they were a little more familiar with his transcripts and courses he took in HS and how they applied to their entrance standards vs an out-of-state school like Iowa. They likely had a better idea of what summer school classes would render him eligible.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If the wrestler is from Oklahoma, it's probably a different story when it comes to being admitted into a state school. The state of Iowa has its own standards for education and the 3 major state schools all have the same entry criteria but it's more or less based upon Iowa's HS curriculum I would imagine. Probably the reason why Jalen Hunt (former Iowa recruit) was able to get into MSU since they were a little more familiar with his transcripts and courses he took in HS and how they applied to their entrance standards vs an out-of-state school like Iowa. They likely had a better idea of what summer school classes would render him eligible.

In state schools should lean in favor of in state kids imo. The U of Minnesota has certain requirements, but can be waved if you add something they feel would benefit the U as a whole such as (according to them) add to diversity of race, age, socioeconomics, religion, gender, a special ability, and a several more that I can’t remember. Basically it allows them to admit nearly anyone with that clause.

The wrestlers were from Iowa but had only been here a couple years, most of there lives they spent in neither state.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
At this point I'd be surprised if Witt ends up at Iowa. Flame away and call me a troll but where there's smoke...

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
This has to be the most even recruiting year between Iowa and ISU in as long as I can remember. If I am counting right Iowa got 3 guys that ISU wanted when they committed and ISU got 3 guys Iowa wanted when they committed.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
This has to be the most even recruiting year between Iowa and ISU in as long as I can remember. If I am counting right Iowa got 3 guys that ISU wanted when they committed and ISU got 3 guys Iowa wanted when they committed.

Who are the three guys you think Iowa wanted that committed to Iowa State? As far as I know, Hayden Pauls is the only player that Iowa was still actively recruiting when he committed to Iowa State.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Iowa wasn’t actively recruiting McDonald when he committed to Iowa State, and I doubt they had a spot open for Wilson either- they already had 5 DE commits at that point and were still waiting on the #1 DE on their board, Deontae Craig (who committed to Iowa a couple days ago).

Wilson eliminated Iowa pretty early on we agree on that, but McDonald had an offer and Iowa definitely took a safety well after his commitment. I was told that every offer was commitable at Iowa unless they were full at the position.

Reactions: CyPunch

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
Wilson eliminated Iowa pretty early on we agree on that, but McDonald had an offer and Iowa definitely took a safety well after his commitment. I was told that every offer was commitable at Iowa unless they were full at the position.

dr-evil-right-gif-7363102.gif