Zeb Noland misses out on starting job at NDSU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Why is Dean on this list? They know he could be a potential TE, other schools were also recruiting him as one. Not sure he deserves to be listed with the others.

If you move positions less than a week into fall camp i consider you a miss at your Position. Now i hope he ends up an all conference TE but in terms of a QB he’s a miss.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
If you move positions less than a week into fall camp i consider you a miss at your Position. Now i hope he ends up an all conference TE but in terms of a QB he’s a miss.

In all fairness, he hasn't officially switched. They're just "testing the waters" due to the current QB room.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Messi

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Were these open competitions or did they have entrenched guys?

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Yeesh. ISU is lucky we struck gold with Purdy. qb recruiting a little rough

Noland
Moore
Park (had talent but headcase)
Easton Dean

Why is Dean on this list? They know he could be a potential TE, other schools were also recruiting him as one. Not sure he deserves to be listed with the others.

Kempt and Purdy were both hits for sure.

Noland
Moore
Dean
Park

All misses

Mitchell TBD

Seriously. Dean just got here this spring, and the plan usually isn't for true freshman to do a Brock Purdy, so how is this a flop? I get the point of message boards is to be a couch-athlete but this seems quite premature!

“He spent the whole spring with the quarterbacks and we’ve been able to move him back and forth a bit,” tight ends coach Alex Golesh said. “He’s super talented and tough and smart and long and can run. All good traits. I think he has a chance to help us as a quarterback as we move along. I really think he has a chance to help us as a tight end as we move along.

To be clear, Matt Campbell said Iowa State has made no ‘wholesale’ changes in regards to Dean’s position after he signed as a quarterback in December. The Cyclones simply see multi-position potential in their freshman, and with Brock Purdy locked in at quarterback, Re-al Mitchell behind him and fifth-year senior John Kolar behind him, the program is tinkering.

Dean does possess many of Iowa State’s coveted tight end qualities. Standing next to Charlie Kolarat practice, Dean displayed a similar build, only slimmer than the 6-foot-6, 250-pound redshirt sophomore. He played basketball in high school much like his tight end counterparts, averaging 13.9 points and 9.5 rebounds as a junior before enrolling early. As a dual-threat quarterback he showcased ability as a tough, physical runner, rushing for 544 yards in 2018.

Quarterbacks often have soft hands that allow them to more easily transition as pass-catchers — see Deshaunte Jones and David Montgomery — and tight ends are the one position that must have knowledge of the entire offense. So while Dean caught all of four passes in high school, he has the requisite tools to develop into an athletic tight end.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Seriously. Dean just got here this spring, and the plan usually isn't for true freshman to do a Brock Purdy, so how is this a flop? I get the point of message boards is to be a couch-athlete but this seems quite premature!

Look who we recruited behind him for 2020.