Friday OT - Where The Red Fern Grows

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I remember reading the Matt Christopher books and the Boxcar Children books. And the Beverly Clearly and Judy Bloom books.

Don't remember anything about them, other than I really liked them.

I also had this set of "Great Illustrated Classics" as a kid. They'd take a book like Robinson Crusoe, condense it into 200 pages, with a illustration on each page. I read almost all the "classics" in that format, which often times led me to reading the real book later in life.

Found a link for them
https://www.greatillustratedclassics.com/

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
The must not be in Scholastic arsenal right now. :( That and the library is where she sees most of the options. I'll have to see where they are at in the library.

I know they have some of them at our library, but we also got a bunch of them on amazon when the kids got hooked so they could read them in order.

Reactions: NWICY and cyrevkah

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Redwall Series, Harry Potter, Eragon, Chronicles of Narnia, Calvin and Hobbes, and Shel Silverstein.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: ThePollinator

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Lord of the Rings books
Dragonlance novels (mostly the ones by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis)
Dragon Riders of Pern books (Anne McCaffrey)
Watchers (Dean Koontz)

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I wasnt about to read another 300-400 pages. I read the last chapter or so to see what happened.

RegalFrailBlacknorwegianelkhound-size_restricted.gif

I am seriously angry with you right now.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I almost forgot in junior high I read the start of the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. They are a good read if you like light-hearted fantasy and puns.

I'm shocked to learn that Anthony has kept writing them and there are over 40 books in the series now.

• Winner
Reactions: cyrevkah

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Unlike a lot of my classmates, I actually enjoyed reading the assigned books in school that we were "forced" to read. Some have already been mentioned but here's a few:

A Wrinkle in Time
Animal Farm
Lord of the Flies
A Separate Peace
To Kill a Mockingbird
Fahrenheit 451

Edit: I should add I also enjoyed Where the Red Fern Grows to my list. It slipped my mind somehow after reading the thread title

Except for Lord of the Flies, I read all these in 7th and 8th grade. I also enjoyed 1984 and all books by Steinbeck, especially The Grapes of Wrath.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I remember reading the Matt Christopher books and the Boxcar Children books. And the Beverly Clearly and Judy Bloom books.

Don't remember anything about them, other than I really liked them.

I also had this set of "Great Illustrated Classics" as a kid. They'd take a book like Robinson Crusoe, condense it into 200 pages, with a illustration on each page. I read almost all the "classics" in that format, which often times led me to reading the real book later in life.

Found a link for them
https://www.greatillustratedclassics.com/

My mother got these for me one year and made me read a bunch of them over the summer. My grades were all A's except for my reading comprehension, which pretty much sucked. I read Moby ****, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, White Fang, Call of the Wild and Treasure Island.

I've since gone back and read all the actual books, except David Copperfield. The shortened version bored the hell out of me.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Except for Lord of the Flies, I read all these in 7th and 8th grade. I also enjoyed 1984 and all books by Steinbeck, especially The Grapes of Wrath.

Except Wrinkle in Time which was in 4th grade, that's about the same time I read those too.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
What can I say, I was at the age where reading wasnt what I wanted to be doing.

Mia Malkova was what you wanted to be doing?

One reason I'm mad is that my own son did pretty much the same thing. He gave up on book 7 after he saw the movie halfway through the book. :mad:

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Pokit N

Aug 8, 2019
- Bunnicula series
When Chester the Cat and Harold the Dog tried to drive a stake through the heart of Bunnicula, but instead of a pointy piece of wood they were using an actual piece of beef, 6th grade me was cracking up! Thanks for bringing up that memory.

I remember reading Bill Wallace books...

Trapped in Death Cave
Danger on Panther Peak
Ferrets in the Bedrooms Lizards in the Fridge
Beauty

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Angie

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Redwall Series, Harry Potter, Eragon, Chronicles of Narnia, Calvin and Hobbes, and Shel Silverstein.

One of my kids got Eragon for Christmas or something, and I set to read this book which was so popular.

It was one of the worst written things I ever read. It could have been written by an Excel macro, it was so trite, cliched, and hackneyed. Got about 3/4ths thru and just tossed it. Complete drek.

Sorry, couldn't hold it in.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Growing up I read most, if not all, of the Happy Hollisters series.
Like so many others I loved A Wrinkle in Time
Read a lot of The Hardy Boys
Any compendium of horror short stories was a must read. When we would have book fairs at school that was always what I looked for.

The Happy Hollisters!! My aunt gave me her old books when I was in first or second grade. And I loved them. I’ve even looked for copies now since I liked them so much.

I read the babysitters club and Nancy drew as a kid. I didn’t get into sweet valley high. I also loved the little house books. And the Ramona books and the Judy Blume Fudge series.

The Dollhouse Murders is a book that stuck with me.

A friend and I were just talking about when the VC Andrews books made the rounds in middle school. Those books were so gross and twisted.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
One of my kids got Eragon for Christmas or something, and I set to read this book which was so popular.

It was one of the worst written things I ever read. It could have been written by an Excel macro, it was so trite, cliched, and hackneyed. Got about 3/4ths thru and just tossed it. Complete drek.

It really was terrible. Everything was derivative of previous fantasy fiction. I read it because my then brother in law was 10 and it was one of the few books that he really enjoyed.
To make matters worse, the movie was worse than the book. I went to it with him. So, so bad.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Wow, great thread! I’ll need to read through it all when I have computer and more time. A few of mine for now:
Yes, Entropy, Little House series.Still haven’t read the “real” story Pioneer Girl I think it’s called.
Also, early lists were Bobbsey Twins, Boxcar Children, and ones about individual kids by Lois somebody- Strawberry Girl was one of these.
Anyone read Orson Scott Card’s Lost Boys? I loved that book. Happy, sad and unnerving all in one.

Still at the state fair so book access is quite limited. I did just buy this from a vendor in Pioneer Hall. Couldn’t get it all to upload - it’s Farmer’s Bulletin No. 1932 from USDA. These old pieces are among my favorites. 2214A7FF-3313-49F8-9919-3F0106058308.jpeg

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

I read it when I was young and loved it. I can't say what I would feel about it now because I haven't read it since then.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It really was terrible. Everything was derivative of previous fantasy fiction. I read it because my then brother in law was 10 and it was one of the few books that he really enjoyed.
To make matters worse, the movie was worse than the book. I went to it with him. So, so bad.
You had a 10 year old brother in law?!