Friday OT - Where The Red Fern Grows

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
A new series Z picked up looks interesting. It's called Upside Down Magic. It's about kids who go to school to learn how to use their magic, but their magic is not normal to how it should work. For example; one kid's dad can get all animals to like him and follow his instructions. The kid's magic makes all animals fear her.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I remember reading the CRAP out of Shel Silverstein books when I was four through seven. That photo on the back of each of his big, dirty foot may have instigated my horror of human feet, IDK.

Reactions: NWICY and cyrevkah

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Where the red fern grows is obviously on there, some others:

My side of the mountain- 30 years later I still have these fantasies about just leaving it all behind, taming a falcon, maybe fighting off a moose.

Hatchet- similar to ^, as an adult I'm really into Lewis and Clark, Robert Thompson, Mackenzie etc...all the early explorers of North America, I think that obsession started by reading survival stories like this.

Maniac Magee -was my favorite book for years. The kid in this book runs everywhere, for about 4 years (9-13) so did I. Just a goofy book with a little bit of a sports twist.

Any books by the author Matt Christopher, all of his books were sports related. I liked them all but my favs were Tough to Tackle, The Kid Who only hit Homers, Wild Pitch and Catcher with a glass arm. My early elementary years were all about these books.

Reactions: Angie

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I remember reading the CRAP out of Shel Silverstein books when I was four through seven. That photo on the back of each of his big, dirty foot may have instigated my horror of human feet, IDK.

I also remember books like Rikki Tikki Tavi and Tiki Tiki Tembo and when I was very little I LOVED Alexander and Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I also remember books like Rikki Tikki Tavi and Tiki Tiki Tembo and when I was very little I LOVED Alexander and Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Those were all awesome! I've read the Alexander books to my kids a ton, and they just love them. Haven't seen the movie w/Alicia Silverstone, though.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Found these in box while cleaning out my mothers attic a couple years ago. So, of course, I took a picture because that's what I do. Covers a range of years obviously. Tween Boxster loved him some Doc Savage reprints. Also used to get lots of sci-fi books 2nd hand from a friend of my parents.

N2Tl545AZSBuh6ms1tpfCOaViT--MIJ66KYVOm6mALKthjmNu1zHrh_Br7hR5ahbQzNggR8e_MLGe2MDA-uS4vvyUvKdBNrHkRK4SVit19xzHsAUjPhU4uQhOzj-_Tczl16lIRsFgwOVNJaujd45M8_Cytkj5n8Bq1Co5jnOabdHOwqeftY2dxO2cnjXcR0PdZdmCJnplVqtkTjX-DsCwhE6WTZZ6c7XvssI_UsBK6rOwaI9WJdpzu_VzuzLjWpM5osr8tVH1pcL9wh-JqWgRVEHXjKJPU_LAfxCuc-kvh4aq_xlKKCTd16i3j_AI0WtdmLCEjTnJ2cScdUtI5LV_-HvIsLPVPOdOzuiIHcpLLEd_P_00dcciKa3R7mwMu-1Y-5TL2sqDZS1j76rMQ3jPfoHTnPaP0LhlJVZ91CqAppe3XjrIG_9g4V8zaEIqZkOmMAdmkd5owYIu20jI4LqpNn3FLphSN7rCgtaeuActkb6Hc9OdwDddecP4RY3K5pwbCoUXRlnPadngd7iMmpem8ueGKUjleHoV8ZwSpCahDs_igK_cFtMtfe0SerOx__0pp2ATQCqzTW1RxqeNWjnMNV6ACoc7zOCrrVfYtSrir8edjiMIPkMmeYCGZqESMFBe6qYvCZyRRAXKFi3_WJfrRM1ZzTtZCc=w1024-h576-no

Reactions: Angie

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Can't believe I haven't seen it yet.

Series of unfortunate events was a go to.

My wife is a school librarian, and if you want to jump into a fantastic series right before the 3rd book comes out here soon, you need to read the Scythe series by Neal Shusterman. Fantastic dystopian world very different from any other.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I had to go and look up some of the D&D books I remember stealing from my brother. The artwork pulled me in with most of them. One of the big influences in making Fantasy my favorite reading genre.

878976.jpg
220px-Dungeon_of_Dread.jpg

5176HgnC5dL._SL300_.jpg
763976e79f158b03c1eb1ebecbc5dde9.jpg
images
804f8cd75925c788101a1f92ab7e9cef.jpg

I know I had the Revolt of the Dwarves and Return to Brookmere books. Those covers instantly brought back memories

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
A new series Z picked up looks interesting. It's called Upside Down Magic. It's about kids who go to school to learn how to use their magic, but their magic is not normal to how it should work. For example; one kid's dad can get all animals to like him and follow his instructions. The kid's magic makes all animals fear her.

I'll have to look into those. My kids are into the Magic Tree House series. They're about a brother and sister who travel back in time in a tree house powered by Merlin. Most of them that I'm aware of are about actual events in history too, so kind of educational.

Reactions: NWICY and cyrevkah

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
Speaking of Where the Red Fern Grows

During my student teaching experience I thought a book study for the entire 6th grade class. We were reading the story out loud, and when one of the dogs dies I started crying, then the male student reading started crying, and when I looked up every male student was crying, and so was my mentor teacher.

That book hit hard.

Harris and Me by Gary Paulson was one of the first books I ever read. Taught me not to piss on an electric fence.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My folks had the World Book as well and many year books. They also had a Childcraft set. This is a 1964 set and might be exactly what we had.
s-l640.jpg

It had a craft book that was "Make and Do", a poem book, a story book, "Holidays and Customs", "World and Space", "How Things Work", "How We Get Things", etc.

I would often just open a volume of the World Book and start reading things at random.

When young I read Just about every Dr. Seuss I could find. We had a lot and I got the rest at the library.

Later I read Encylopedia Brown, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, etc.

When still a little older I read every single Louis L'Amour book and then The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings, Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

In high school I tried to read as many classics as I could like Gone With the Wind, a bunch of Dickens, Les Miserables, a bunch of Asimov, etc.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I'll have to look into those. My kids are into the Magic Tree House series. They're about a brother and sister who travel back in time in a tree house powered by Merlin. Most of them that I'm aware of are about actual events in history too, so kind of educational.

The must not be in Scholastic arsenal right now. :( That and the library is where she sees most of the options. I'll have to see where they are at in the library.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron