Scotch Recommendations

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
One of the groomsman in my wedding party is a big scotch drinker. I'd like to get him a good bottle of scotch as his gift. However, I don't know much about scotch and was looking for some recommendations. Any assistance would be appreciated! Thanks.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
This is easy. Glenlivet 18. It's about $100+. Best bang for the buck.

glvob.18yov1.jpg

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
[/QUOTE]
Lagavulin is my favorite. It'll be ~$75 for the 16-year. It's an Islay like Laphroaig - which is ~$50 for the 12-year. Islays have a strong flavor - peaty, smoky. I'm sure that Glenlivet 18 that was noted is a good one - I expect that's a little more "easier drinking". Highland Park has some excellent ones in that category as well: Magnus is ~$40; Valykyrie is ~$75.

If you want to go Irish, you can't go wrong with Redbreast 12 - should be ~$50.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I would definitely check into his flavor profile likes.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
He has commented that he likes Scotch with a some "smokey" flavoring to it. Price range I'm looking for something around $50 to $60...if possible

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I came here to suggest the Balvenie Double Wood but cyclonespiker beat me to it. My father's favorite. I'm not huge on scotch but will drink this on occasion and enjoy it.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
He has commented that he likes Scotch with a some "smokey" flavoring to it. Price range I'm looking for something around $50 to $60...if possible
Talisker 10 year fits both the smokey flavor and your price range.

• Agree
Reactions: inCyteful

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Where are you from?
Just me, but I would rather receive something unique, and given your price point you might consider an American made whiskey with a smoke element vs a cheaper single malt scotch. If he has a liquor cabinet that already contains Peaty/smokey scotches it is likely he has Laphroiag and or Ardberg.
If you have a decent liquor store (Cyclone in Ames is a great option if you're local) they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Another vote for the balvenie doublewood. As someone who doesnt normally like scotch it's an easy drinking fruity/nutty scotch. I've bought it as a gift several times and everyone has liked it.

If they like islay scotch go with the lagavulin 16 or laphroaig. Bonus points for lagavulin since Ron Swanson drinks it.

• Informative
Reactions: Daserop

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Where are you from?
Just me, but I would rather receive something unique, and given your price point you might consider an American made whiskey with a smoke element vs a cheaper single malt scotch. If he has a liquor cabinet that already contains Peaty/smokey scotches it is likely he has Laphroiag and or Ardberg.
If you have a decent liquor store (Cyclone in Ames is a great option if you're local) they should be able to point you in the right direction.

I can appreciate what you're saying, but as a Scotch person I've had a number of people want me to try a smoky American whisky (anywhere from $30 to $200+ bottles) and while I've enjoyed trying them I've yet to have one I wanted more than a glass or two of. It's just a style difference (American vs Scotch) and most people that are into whisky prefer one or the other for whatever reason (malted barley vs corn/rye is one of them).

Last edited: