WBB: Joens and Scott at Team USA tryouts

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
USA beat South Korea 89-67 in game #2 (which I didn't watch). It looks like neither Joens nor Clark had a spectacular game, but most of the USA offense was generated in the frontcourt. Of the five players with efficiencies of at least 10, Bueckers was the only backcourt player.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
They beat Canada to get into the semi-finals.

The semi (vs Belgium) is actually at a watchable time: 7:30 AM Saturday morning. Looks like it should be streaming on ESPN+, but I believe it'll continue to be on youtube and facebook as well.

Australia and Spain are playing in the other semi (5 AM). The final is 7:30 AM Sunday.

Reactions: BenEClone

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Seems like Joens is having some shooting struggles...she is right around 20-25% overall for the tourney thus far. I'm wondering if is due to the further out 3-point line? She is rebounding well and doesn't seem to be having any turnover issues.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
USA won a close one 67-59. USA leaned on its top players a lot, and Joens only played about half a minute. Another player got a DNP-CD. 65 of the 67 points were scored by 6 players.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19women/2019/game/2707/USA-Belgium#tab=boxscore

USA has a rematch vs Australia in the final. USA won the first game against them 79-56.

Odd box score. USA only shot 4 threes and Belgium attempted 26. Haven't watched any of the games, is that USA's normal game?

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
USA wins gold with 74-70 OT win over Australia.

Ashley played 3:42 with 0 points, 1 rebound and 1 steal.

Caitlin Clark played 7:29 with 3 points on 3 of 4 free throws.

I watched the highlights on You Tube; USA was fortunate to force OT, as Australia had the lead and the ball as regulation time ran down. An Australian elbow met the face of a pressing US player - ref initially called the foul on USA but reversed it after going to the monitor...

While Ashley didn't have a particularly impressive tournament, she did play in every game and won a second gold medal representing the USA; let's hope she can use the international experience to improve her college game!!!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
USA wins gold with 74-70 OT win over Australia.

Ashley played 3:42 with 0 points, 1 rebound and 1 steal.

Caitlin Clark played 7:29 with 3 points on 3 of 4 free throws.

I watched the highlights on You Tube; USA was fortunate to force OT, as Australia had the lead and the ball as regulation time ran down. An Australian elbow met the face of a pressing US player - ref initially called the foul on USA but reversed it after going to the monitor...

While Ashley didn't have a particularly impressive tournament, she did play in every game and won a second gold medal representing the USA; let's hope she can use the international experience to improve her college game!!!

Man, how good are some of these high school kids that play while college Div I experienced players on the squad are deep bench subs. Pretty impressive.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Man, how good are some of these high school kids that play while college Div I experienced players on the squad are deep bench subs. Pretty impressive.
Amen. Bueckers as good as advertised, and South Carolina is getting an absolute warrior in Aliyah Boston.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
EAmDI7BX4AUyCh4.jpg

Help Support Us

Become a patron