Mason Chambers Commits!!! (The original thread)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It did, but it's not an excuse. ISU wasn't the only school going through a realignment scare at that point in time. KState, OKState, TTech kept going. Baylor sold their soul for it, but they improved dramatically. The only other one that tanked was Kansas.

The rest were going to stay in a major conference. We weren’t.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
The rest were going to stay in a major conference. We weren’t.
I'm not sure this is true. The only school that was really tied to another was Oklahoma State, which was tied to Oklahoma. KSU, ISU, TTech, and Baylor really had no other choice. The BIG wasn't taking KSU...only KU.

• Agree
Reactions: TheHelgo

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm not sure this is true. The only school that was really tied to another was Oklahoma State, which was tied to Oklahoma. KSU, ISU, TTech, and Baylor really had no other choice. The BIG wasn't taking KSU...only KU.

It’s not worth arguing about but the Kansas government was pushing for them to go together. They were also part of the PAC 12 talk. The Iowa government didn’t give a **** about us.

It’s easy to say now that others were in the same boat, but at the time the national media was mainly saying we were the only ones truly left out and that’s what recruits were hearing.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
It’s not worth arguing about but the Kansas government was pushing for them to go together. They were also part of the PAC 12 talk. The Iowa government didn’t give a **** about us.

It’s easy to say now that others were in the same boat, but at the time the national media was mainly saying we were the only ones truly left out and that’s what recruits were hearing.
I basically agree with this post.
Assuming 4 16 team leagues in a b12 implosion, there are 8 spots available. We have 10 teams and there remains the Notre Dame wildcard. If two teams are left out, everybody is a candidate to get left behind except Texas and OU, although I believe OSU is safe due to there ties to OU. I think KU BB is so strong that they are very safe. Reports still circulate that the B10 will push hard for Texas and OU. Everybody will want them. We have some tense times ahead again. Texas and OU have been clear they intend to shop around. It is either ominous or smart business that nothing is being planned beyond the current GOR date. Even Bowlsbys contract expires then.
I can tell you first hand that things looked pretty bleak for a while. Paul was a good man and a great Cyclone. Yes, after KSU he needed to be fired. He told several of us that he did not know how realignment would play out, but he would stick with ISU. He meant that out of loyalty.
Campbell and staff are big time. Like many, hoping he is our Bill Snyder.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
That really puts things in perspective
Let me take it a step further...

One of the biggest recruiting battles in the Rhoads era was for Tommy Mister. Remember him? If you don't, let's just say there were multiple threads on CF discussing his recruitment. People would break down ever tweet he posted, his visits, everything.

He even committed to ISU for quite a bit, and it felt like we won the lottery.

HIs college career was less than stellar, but we thought when we were recruiting him, he was going to win the Heisman.

He had a .8569 rating. Miyan Williams has a .8627 (that's a good chunk higher in 247 ratings), and we celebrated that for all of 2 days. #StandardRaised #ThisStaff

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Let me take it a step further...

One of the biggest recruiting battles in the Rhoads era was for Tommy Mister. Remember him? If you don't, let's just say there were multiple threads on CF discussing his recruitment. People would break down ever tweet he posted, his visits, everything.

He even committed to ISU for quite a bit, and it felt like we won the lottery.

HIs college career was less than stellar, but we thought when we were recruiting him, he was going to win the Heisman.

He had a .8569 rating. Miyan Williams has a .8627 (that's a good chunk higher in 247 ratings), and we celebrated that for all of 2 days. #StandardRaised #ThisStaff

Meanwhile, Hoiberg and CPR...

I think the biggest difference is CMC has been able to nab entire classes full of the "stars" CPR came away with every now and again. CPR was lucky enough to sign a few difference makers while CMC has a 2-deep of difference makers.

I don't think I've ever bashed chiz but I have taken my share of shots at CPR. In all fairness, we don't have the program we have now without the work done by CPR. He had lots of faults but passion for our school wasn't one of them. Can say the same thing on the basketball side...

• Agree
Reactions: Cyman88

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Meanwhile, Hoiberg and CPR...

I think the biggest difference is CMC has been able to nab entire classes full of the "stars" CPR came away with every now and again. CPR was lucky enough to sign a few difference makers while CMC has a 2-deep of difference makers.

I don't think I've ever bashed chiz but I have taken my share of shots at CPR. In all fairness, we don't have the program we have now without the work done by CPR. He had lots of faults but passion for our school wasn't one of them. Can say the same thing on the basketball side...
To be fair CPR also found some diamonds in the rough like Jake Knott & Hakeem Butler

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Where is Knott? Last I heard he was in jail for stealing stuff

According to Twitter, he's a ProjectManager at RAVENii - offering cybersecurity consulting/advisory services to businesses across the Midwest

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
A little insight on this...

Butler was an Ayeni recruit and he had to BEG Rhoads to let him recruit Butler. They had a big argument and everything. Ayeni saw Butler’s talent and Rhoads didn’t.
Makes sense

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
A little insight on this...

Butler was an Ayeni recruit and he had to BEG Rhoads to let him recruit Butler. They had a big argument and everything. Ayeni saw Butler’s talent and Rhoads didn’t.
Rhoads wasn't a great evaluator.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I basically agree with this post.
Assuming 4 16 team leagues in a b12 implosion, there are 8 spots available. We have 10 teams and there remains the Notre Dame wildcard. If two teams are left out, everybody is a candidate to get left behind except Texas and OU, although I believe OSU is safe due to there ties to OU. I think KU BB is so strong that they are very safe. Reports still circulate that the B10 will push hard for Texas and OU. Everybody will want them. We have some tense times ahead again. Texas and OU have been clear they intend to shop around. It is either ominous or smart business that nothing is being planned beyond the current GOR date. Even Bowlsbys contract expires then.
I can tell you first hand that things looked pretty bleak for a while. Paul was a good man and a great Cyclone. Yes, after KSU he needed to be fired. He told several of us that he did not know how realignment would play out, but he would stick with ISU. He meant that out of loyalty.
Campbell and staff are big time. Like many, hoping he is our Bill Snyder.
Why does everyone assume 16 team leagues? There are a lot of leagues that are there or have approached that for some time and the reasons for going big have been slipping away. I think by the time things blow up - if they do - no one will really want to have leagues that big. A 16 team league really isn't a league at all. The divisions are really separate leagues with agreements for interleague play.