Only in Iowa...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Reactions: Phaedrus

CyJ

Apr 17, 2006
I'm not suprised either. That guy's place is about 4 miles from where I grew up.

Irresponsible

Jul 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
I love how they make a big deal about 30 feet of fence being destroyed then nonchalantly mention the combine was a total loss. Tells you how much the reporter knows about farming. The guy could have stolen and totalled a Lamborghini for less money.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
thank God he didn't wreck the party van.

Not sure if this is another jab at the van or just a joke. I've been trying to call people back home to make sure nobody was actually harmed. The area they describe the damage occurring would be within a couple blocks of my family's farm shop, and ironically enough, the very lot that the party van sat in before we bought it may have been in the wake of the destruction...

Reactions: djkent01

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I love how they make a big deal about 30 feet of fence being destroyed then nonchalantly mention the combine was a total loss. Tells you how much the reporter knows about farming. The guy could have stolen and totalled a Lamborghini for less money.

This quote also proves the reporter don't know much about farming....

Bjerke was arrested by police after the combine stopped several blocks from where it was stolen.

Did he have it parked in town?????:confused:

Two other things about this whole story that amazes me.

1. Does this idiot who took the combine realize that the insurance company will come after him for damaging the combine. If that was within 5 yrs, combine and head could be worth anywhere from $200,000 to 500,000. Might take him awhile to get that judgement lifted.

2. I never understood why farmers left there machines out sitting in the field with the keys left in them. You wouldn't let a Ferrari/Lamborghini sit out parked on a side street with the keys left in them, why would you do the same with that kind of money wrapped up in equipment nowadays. Makes you wonder how the insurance company will react to paying that claim with keys left in the machine.:skeptical:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This quote also proves the reporter don't know much about farming....

Did he have it parked in town?????:confused:

Two other things about this whole story that amazes me.

1. Does this idiot who took the combine realize that the insurance company will come after him for damaging the combine. If that was within 5 yrs, combine and head could be worth anywhere from $200,000 to 500,000. Might take him awhile to get that judgement lifted.

2. I never understood why farmers left there machines out sitting in the field with the keys left in them. You wouldn't let a Ferrari/Lamborghini sit out parked on a side street with the keys left in them, why would you do the same with that kind of money wrapped up in equipment nowadays. Makes you wonder how the insurance company will react to paying that claim with keys left in the machine.:skeptical:

I think the guy who was interviewed actually lives just outside of town, not sure where the combine was parked. That farmer has alot of his land right next to town, so the combined could have been parked in quite a few places. I'm sure the guy who took it is an idiot. My dad lives in Le Roy, so I know alot of people there around this age (I'm 23) and I've never heard of the guy. In all honesty, he's probably a meth head. This would explain a lot.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
My wifes dad has a lot on the river north of Mitchel so we are up in Mitchel county pretty often. Crazy partying crowd up there I would say.

Agree on your thoughts about being a methhead.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My wifes dad has a lot on the river north of Mitchel so we are up in Mitchel county pretty often. Crazy partying crowd up there I would say.

Agree on your thoughts about being a methhead.

My grandparents live right on the river above Mitchell. We would always go boating for our friday night pre-game when we were home for the summer. If we hit the river right after work, we could slam a few beers, wake board, and then get the boat off the river and home in time to booze cruise the back roads. Good to hear you've had good times up that way!

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
My grandparents live right on the river above Mitchell. We would always go boating for our friday night pre-game when we were home for the summer. If we hit the river right after work, we could slam a few beers, wake board, and then get the boat off the river and home in time to booze cruise the back roads. Good to hear you've had good times up that way!

As in driveway just north of the Sportsman's campground?

Absolutely the best place to be for 4th of July fireworks too. Get on the pontoon and head up about 1/2 mile up river from the beach in Mitchel. Sound affects are awesome. Everytime one of the loud ones goes off, it sounds like a war jet flying up river about 50ft off the water.

Last edited:

sweetwater

Apr 10, 2006
Thanks for the link. I grew up in St. Ansgar, so I have really enjoyed this thread.

As for McIntyre, I have had too many beers at the Redman Inn - including some on Christmas day night. It always cracked me up that they were open then.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
Thanks for the link. I grew up in St. Ansgar, so I have really enjoyed this thread.

As for McIntyre, I have had too many beers at the Redman Inn - including some on Christmas day night. It always cracked me up that they were open then.

Seems like a theme in Iowa. I know the town I grew up in and Cedar Rapids both have a few places like this and get quite the crowds that night.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
2. I never understood why farmers left there machines out sitting in the field with the keys left in them. You wouldn't let a Ferrari/Lamborghini sit out parked on a side street with the keys left in them, why would you do the same with that kind of money wrapped up in equipment nowadays.

Back when I was growing up on the farm, one John Deere key fit everything. We locked up our stuff and pulled the keys, and the equipment still got taken for joy rides on a couple of occasions because certain hoodlums had obtained JD keys.

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Dude... I don't think the Red Man or the Pit Stop EVER shut down. The Pit Stop is open from 6AM-2AM every day. Get the breakfast crowd, keep it open for coffee, bring the lunch crowd in, then around 3PM the drunks show up and close 'er down. Every day. The night before Thanksgiving is my favorite there. Great to see so many Mitchell County natives crawling out of the CF woodwork! For the record, the fireworks above the Mitchell Dam might be the best in the state...

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
He stole a Gleaner so he will be out of jail soon and then thank him for smashing the galvanized piece of junk.

On the other hand he must really have been wasted. Stealing a Gleaner would be like stealing a Pinto or a Geo Metro. There is no point, they are worthless.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
He stole a Gleaner so he will be out of jail soon and then thank him for smashing the galvanized piece of junk.

On the other hand he must really have been wasted. Stealing a Gleaner would be like stealing a Pinto or a Geo Metro. There is no point, they are worthless.

I'm about 90% more than alcohol, cough-meth-cough, was involved here.

I'm just glad he didn't steal our 9750 which was parked about a half mile away...

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Seems like a theme in Iowa. I know the town I grew up in and Cedar Rapids both have a few places like this and get quite the crowds that night.

For a lot of small town bars, their biggest nights are the night before Thanksgiving and Christmas night. Lots of people back in town with nothing to do.