ISU vs Auburn in Big 12 SEC Challenge

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
ideally we'd probably like to have an equal home/rd split between BE challenge, SEC challenge, Iowa, and whatever BCS home-home we have (OSU this year).

so this year we get Seton Hall and Iowa at home and Auburn and Oregon state on the road.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
ideally we'd probably like to have an equal home/rd split between BE challenge, SEC challenge, Iowa, and whatever BCS home-home we have (OSU this year).

so this year we get Seton Hall and Iowa at home and Auburn and Oregon state on the road.

Add the Atlantis tournament and it’s a nice non-con.

Will be good tests for our guys before they get into the conference grind.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
This sounds like the toughest non-con schedule that I can remember.

I remember towards the beginning of Fred’s tenure people bemoaning the non con being loaded with cream puffs. This is much better, but I don’t think it’s daunting either.

If this team can work it’s way into the NCAA, you can’t say they won’t be battle tested

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I give our schedule an A+.

We've finally got the invites to the big time tourneys (Maui, Atlantis), B12 stepped up and now we get two BCS challenges, keep the in-state rivalry game, and Prohm even managed to sign up a home-home with the Pac12. Home run.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This sounds like the toughest non-con schedule that I can remember.
Probably is unless you can remember 1990-91.
Maui Invitational
.. Chaminade
.. Syracuse
.. Santa Clara
Houston
UNC
Minnesota
@ Baylor
@ Iowa.
@ UNI.
@ Michigan.
Indiana
Fiesta Bowl Classic
.. Temple
.. @ Arizona
Drake
@ Creighton
UIC

Not surprisingly ISU went 6-10 in that non-con. Surprisingly @ Michigan was one of the wins.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Maui Invitational
.. Chaminade
.. Syracuse
.. Santa Clara
Houston
UNC
Minnesota
@ Baylor
@ Iowa.
@ UNI.
@ Michigan.
Indiana
Fiesta Bowl Classic
.. Temple
.. @ Arizona
Drake
@ Creighton
UIC

Not surprisingly ISU went 6-10 in that non-con. Surprisingly @ Michigan was one of the wins.

I knew there was a season in the middle-Orr years when the schedule was brutal, couldn't recall which year. Wow.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Maui Invitational
.. Chaminade
.. Syracuse
.. Santa Clara
Houston
UNC
Minnesota
@ Baylor
@ Iowa.
@ UNI.
@ Michigan.
Indiana
Fiesta Bowl Classic
.. Temple
.. @ Arizona
Drake
@ Creighton
UIC

It's the beginning of my CBB super fandom. Michigan sucked that year. That was the year before the Fab Five.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maui Invitational
.. Chaminade
.. Syracuse
.. Santa Clara
Houston
UNC
Minnesota
@ Baylor
@ Iowa.
@ UNI.
@ Michigan.
Indiana
Fiesta Bowl Classic
.. Temple
.. @ Arizona
Drake
@ Creighton
UIC

What year did they play at Michigan State? Too lazy to look. Lost a close one...I happened to catch it on CyTV a while ago.

And why do they put losses on Cy TV?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Check Orr's first year schedule and then think about going into it with next to no players.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
such a different era back then. only 14 conf games, no one cared about RPI, coaches just scheduled games with their coaching friends, etc.

and for all you kids out there, just think about the environment today for that kind of season. best player flunks out of school, next best commits armed robbery, and we start the season 0-8? Orr would've been fired at 95% of schools today.

Hoiberg came to the rescue, the guy has saved our program twice!

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It didn't have anything to do with the 1 and 2 seeds getting beat in the Round of 32 and Sweet 16 with us being the highest seed left?

Sure, that was part of it. But it's impossible for the narrative to exist unless Georges gets hurt. He was not only playing well in the tournaments, but he had turned into a team mascot of sorts.