Athletic Article on Pac-10 Play for Pac-16

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Who said the money is going to be less when they renegotiate in 2022-23? And they wouldn't have been able to get $54 million per year, per school for 10-12 years. That deal was never there. With the way the media landscape is changing, do you seriously think you can project what ESPN and FOX will be able to afford in terms of conference payouts in the year 2030? ESPN might be dead at that point.

All of this came from you saying that "the Big 10" was projecting $70-$80 million per team, I assume as a way to try showing that the conference was falling well short of those numbers. That's totally false, and pretty funny given that the B1G's current revenues are in a different stratosphere than all others. A couple of nitwits with a webcam and mic saying that is a far cry from the conference projecting it.
Gonzo,

You've been in this snit about revenue for awhile. And I feel like it's beneath Larry Station. You've got to let it go. WWLSD?

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
It will be driven by how it's monetized though, right? Which is by viewership...so TV by another form/name?

Paying players only relates to realignment in that it will end football for most schools. If that happens there will be an NFL lite of ~24-32 that can afford it. But that's what Joe Six Pack wants. The idiots who couldn't stand a mythical national championship have brought us here. First the BCS, now the Playoff, next the SuperLeague...

That seems like a pretty big jump and considerably more concerning than any other realignment we have already had.

Once CA says there needs to be fair play the NCAA is going to have three options with only one being viable. A) Don't allow CA schools to compete in the NCAA events (not viable) B) Allow CA schools the advantage of paying athlete while other schools can't (not viable) C) allowing all schools to pay athletes(the only viable option). How long after that are the egotistical boosters at Texas, Alabama, Florida and the like, going to look around and go, wait we have a professional league, and we have the best access to the talent? It won't take them long to say **** the schools and the NFL, and just have professional clubs, and attempt to take on the NFL. Without the NFL stepping in and paying those schools, that will happen. And the NFL will be over a barrel because the ADs are the ones that have access to the talent pools. The CA legislation has far-reaching consequences that no one has thought through yet.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The only realignment needed right now is some rebranding of the conference names. Big 12 = 10 schools, Big 10 = 14 schools, Notre Dame = Atlantic coastal school?, Missouri considered to be in the South?, Colorado = Pacific coastal school?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I just want to know at what point there are declining benefits for the more money though. You don't want to make the least, because that puts you in a bad position trying to pay coaches competitively. We're seeing that in the Pac-12. However, at some point, you're LSU who is just throwing 10s of millions at a new locker room because you can when the added benefit is probably negligible at best.

I agree 1000%, for Texas and OU, is the added extra money worth all that they would be giving up? Neither school nor KU is hurting for money, in the last ranking UT was at the top of the rankings, and OU was 9th a believe. KU is over a 100 million in spending.
Are longer road trips, decreasing your standing in the conference, powerwise, worth the added extra dollars?
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2018/may/13/how-much-does-ku-spend-athletics-more-city-spends-/

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I agree 1000%, for Texas and OU, is the added extra money worth all that they would be giving up? Neither school nor KU is hurting for money, in the last ranking UT was at the top of the rankings, and OU was 9th a believe. KU is over a 100 million in spending.
Are longer road trips, decreasing your standing in the conference, powerwise, worth the added extra dollars?
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2018/may/13/how-much-does-ku-spend-athletics-more-city-spends-/

Never underestimate the fragility of the ego of some of these blue-blooded programs BMDs. I used to go on Land Thieves (OU fansite) a little bit and you would think that ISU and KSU were the reasons OU hasn't won a national championship lately. Just tons of BS about leaving the big 12 to increase their level of competition (SEC) or $$$ (B1G).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Never underestimate the fragility of the ego of some of these blue-blooded programs BMDs. I used to go on Land Thieves (OU fansite) a little bit and you would think that ISU and KSU were the reasons OU hasn't won a national championship lately. Just tons of BS about leaving the big 12 to increase their level of competition (SEC) or $$$ (B1G).
Hopefully this becomes a perennial reality sooner rather than later.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
A few lines in the opening couple paragraphs should've told everyone how dumb this idea was.

“We had some campus pressure to go to the Pac-10. They had destination cities like San Francisco and Seattle."

"Texas and Oklahoma could stay at the top of big-time football, and their campuses could begin rubbing elbows with academic elites like Stanford, Cal and UCLA."

Yes, I'm sure Texas fans couldn't wait to visit those college football hotbeds. And OU and academic elites? lol

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Lots of short memories in this thread. Holy crap, has it already been 10 years? I’m still puckered. But again, lots of short memories.

What was so striking last time around was how sudden it came on. No one thought of realignment being that much of a potential payday. In the Big 12, that was really overclocked by the inequality of the league (driven by some of those blue blood teams people are quick to now praise). Although that’s not much of a factor now, it’s hard to see where the giant moneygrab is going to come from in the future. Maybe streaming, who knows? That’s why I’m still puckered...it could be something radical, and all of a sudden. Getting rid of the NCAA may just be that.

Also, David Ubben?! Cancel your subscription now...wow. That guy threw a lot of sh!t against the wall during those times that stirred things up even further.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
A few lines in the opening couple paragraphs should've told everyone how dumb this idea was.

“We had some campus pressure to go to the Pac-10. They had destination cities like San Francisco and Seattle."

"Texas and Oklahoma could stay at the top of big-time football, and their campuses could begin rubbing elbows with academic elites like Stanford, Cal and UCLA."

Yes, I'm sure Texas fans couldn't wait to visit those college football hotbeds. And OU and academic elites? lol

That sounds like a Boren elitist dumb comment. Like I said they were playing politics, not worrying about football. Of course, we now know a lot more about Boren's problems and he is long gone.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I can vouch for that. Been living in Chicago for about 10 years, drive through Evanston every day, and work in the North Shore, and I have only met 1 true, diehard Northwestern fan in my life. And that happened to be Chris Collins’ son.
A few people claim it as their #2 school, but a distant second behind another Big 10 school.
I was one of them! When I lived in Chicago, I was a Northwestern Season Ticket holder - even though I am an ISU Alumnus. I enjoyed going to the games and seeing the other B1G Teams. Plus, Northwestern won a B1G Tri-Championship (2000) - when I was there. I still follow and care about those Purple Cardiac 'Cats! Let's Go State! and Go U! NU!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Some speculation on what could have happened if Texas decided to go to the Pac-16...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/17/8767533/conference-realignment-texas-pac-12

The Big 12 somehow stays afloat, but ends up the American of the new order.

Air Force
Baylor
Boise State
Brigham Young
Central Florida
Houston
Iowa State
Kansas State
Memphis
South Florida
Southern Methodist
Texas Christian

That is basically a junk drawer of every other team/school that did not end up in one of the remaining "power" conferences but too good for Conference USA... I hope.

Something like...

East = Baylor, Houston, ISU, Memphis, UCF, USF
West = AFA, BSU, BYU, KSU, SMU, TCU
When it looked like Texas, OU, etc. were heading to the Pac, I was freaking out! However, I no longer care that much. I like the Big Xii as it is or would welcome two new solids like the Arizona schools and would even be okay if ISU ended up in a blended league like this one. Of course, I am use to it living in Cincinnati for so long and seeing the Bearcats go from C-USA to Big East to AAC. Would be ironic if ISU ends up in this blended conference after I moved back to Iowa!

• Dislike
Reactions: simply1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron