Tiller to be I State Backup QB!

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
From the DM Register.

ISU football: Prized recruit Tiller to be Arnaud backup

By ANDREW LOGUE • [email protected] • October 13, 2008
Waco, Texas — Who's the backup quarterback?

That was the question hovering over the Iowa State football program following Phillip Bates' sudden departure last Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
From the DM Register.

"The bottom line is, Jerome Tiller is our backup," Chizik said. "And we're going to try and keep his redshirt year intact.

"That's going to possibly play out in different scenarios, but that's what we'd like to do right.

This isn't exactly "news". :wink:

In other words, Tiller probably won't play if it's an issue of a play or two. Just like we've been saying.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe JT will be the starter next year if he can run and thow as well as stated.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I hope they don't burn his RS if we only need a series or two. Its not worth blowing his year on a 2-4 win season. If Arnaud is out for a few games then that is different, but I guess I want them to think twice about putting him in if AA gets the wind knocked out of him or something..

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The team needs to be more focused and play sixty minutes. With our non conference schedule, we should be a .500 team with all the hype from the last few years. Kent State, UNLV, and SDSU and Iowa are not overwhelming. That should keace us with 2 or 3 wins in Big 12 at home by end of year. If not, we have not progressd from the last administration. Sorry. And the because we are young card is old - you better compete some each year. Our best game is apparently a loss to KU whereby we detonated on the last series in overtime just like we have done a few times in the past. Nothing has changed yet. Looking forward to next tier improvements. It is there for the taking. NE, KSU and CU are possibilities but we do need to play better as a team than we have shown.

Last edited:

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
The team needs to be more focused and play sixty minutes. With our non confernce schedule, we should be a .500 team with all the hype from the last few years. Kent State, UNLV, and SDSU and Iowa are not overwhelming. That should have left 2 oe 3 wins in Big 12 at home by end of year. If not, we have not progressd from the last administration. Sorry. And the because we are young card is old - you better compete some each year. Our best game is apparently a loss to KU whereby we detonated on the last series in overtime just like we have done a few times in the past. Nothing has changed yet. Looking forward to next tier improvements. It is there for the taking. NE, KSU and CU are possibilities but we do need to play better as a team than we have shown.

Why does everyone think the KU game went to OT? Were you there??? Did you not watch it?? The game ended in regulation folks.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Why does everyone think the KU game went to OT? Were you there??? Did you not watch it?? The game ended in regulation folks.

It ended with four and out and was very similar to overtime. We had a great chance to win and it went poof. The same four and out (in overtime) and poof happened at UNLV. Last year we had Toledo and some might argue Oklahoma. However, we did pull out Iowa last year with PB catch and Shaggy kick and Colorado wihen they vaporized. Still waiting for signature win this year. NE?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This is all you need to know. If AA gets the wind knocked out of him one of the ther QB's will be in there I'm sure. Significant to me means he comes out of the game and they wait until afterwards to determine who plays QB the next game.

"If we see there is any type of injury," Chizik explained, "that is significant, where we'd have to replace Austen (Arnaud), then Jerome is the guy we're going to get ready to play next week."

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Did anybody notice that AA only had three carries in Waco? GC knows our QB has to be able to run and saturday he didn't let him. If he's going to be that cautious, we may not win another game this year. AA's running ability in part is what kept Bates on the sideline.

RiverCy

Oct 13, 2008
Dubuque
Keep the rulers in your pockets, boys...

Barring a season ending injury to AA, we would be better off in the long run playing Mahoney at QB than wasting Tiller's redshirt this year.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Tiller has a cannon

The cannon will hopefully stay on the bench. Chizik just mentioned on the call in show that he essentially hasn't practice yet this year being #3 on the depth chart for much of it. They in no way envisioned him getting playing time. I don't care what his talent level is, if he get's in the game it will be ugly. The playbook would be alarmingly small and simple.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I hope that AA does not get hurt this year or any year, but if that happens this season then I think the coaches will use Tiller depending upon the injury. We need some wins yet this year period and if Tiller can maybe come in and deliver I am all for it. We can always recruit another good qb right?