Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I've enjoyed Shang-Chi stories, but how many people, even comics fans, know who he is? Can't be much demand there.

Black Widow should work out for them. People are invested there. Dr.Strange probably does well and watches well.

I don't understand how they think Eternals is an appealing option. Those guys can't even make it as D-listers.

They might discover the line between genius or hubris, or they might pull it off again, but ugh.

Shang-Chi is the least known project, but China is the second largest box office behind the US. The casting of Tony Leung as The Mandarin is a big deal: a US-based comparison would be when Robert Downey Jr first landed the role of Tony Stark/Iron Man. That movie could not eclipse $200 million domestically, but could still gross over $1 billion. Marvel films that play towards an international audience have done well:

Iron Man 3 made over $800 million internationally. That version of the film had 4 minutes of extra content that was only shown in China.

Age of Ultron also made $940 million overseas and part of that was due to filming in South Korea and casting South Korean model & actress Claudia Kim as Helen Cho.

The best comparison may be Days of Future Past which cast Chinese actress Fan Bingbing as Blink. That movie made $230 domestically, but over $500 million internationally thanks to that casting.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
The first two Thor movies were trash. Don’t blame anybody for not wanting to be a part of them. Might have more to do with the director being Taika.

View attachment 65251

Plus, it’s canon now anyway.

Based on Jason Aaron's comics. My brush with fame - our kids were in the same class in Overland Park and we had common acquitances/friends. Hung out with him multiple times and a super nice, interesting guy but very shy / quiet guy.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Natalie Portman returns?

As Thor!

“Natalie Portman joined the cast on stage and wielded Mjolnir onstage. She said, “It feels pretty good,” to be back in the MCU, but with a Hammer.”​

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/07/...r-in-thor-love-and-thunder-announced-for-2021

Natalie Portman as Thor? Yikes.
Thor getting woke. She left the MCU originally because there was originally supposed to be a female director for Thor 2 and they switched it (If I remember right). Her as a female Thor makes zero sense. At least make it a more menacing female. Someone you can imagine having a strong physical persona.

• Disagree
Reactions: harimad and alarson

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Thor getting woke. She left the MCU originally because there was originally supposed to be a female director for Thor 2 and they switched it (If I remember right). Her as a female Thor makes zero sense. At least make it a more menacing female. Someone you can imagine having a strong physical persona.

She'll be roiding up and clangin' and bangin' till they start shooting.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
She'll be roiding up and clangin' and bangin' till they start shooting.
If I remember right, she has never played a tough character and she is 5', 100lbs wet and wearing boots. Better get that HGH going. Should have just made Tessa the female Thor if they went that route.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Will we get Beta Ray Bill? I need Beta Ray Bill.

706d89050a0cecc2a66bb76f83cda5c9bc615a27_hq.jpg

For anybody worried about "purity" of one Thor for all time...Thor is not exactly the Marvel comics property for you.

If they followed the comics story the Thor in Endgame/Infinity War wouldn't have even been the original Thor. Not saying I'd prefer that, but having multiple Thors or a female Thor is about the most comic book thing possible.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If I remember right, she has never played a tough character and she is 5', 100lbs wet and wearing boots. Better get that HGH going. Should have just made Tessa the female Thor if they went that route.

Annihilation she is somewhat tough. Very good movie.

Still she seems more like a tiny scientist being tough in a horror situation. She never looks like she's physically imposing, it works in that movie.

People had the same thoughts about Gal Gadot and that turned out to be the best casting this side of RDJ...yet I do share some skepticism.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Marvel Comics has been "woke" for a long time if trying female versions of their male heroes is "woke".
220px-Shehulk1st.jpg

ms-marvel-1.jpg

009.jpg

Honestly She-Hulk is probably the most popular Marvel character to not have been in an MCU movie at this point. Even in some recent times her comic titles have sold well and been well received.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You say this like Thor isnt already 1000x more powerful than Chris Hemsworth is IRL.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Marvel Comics has been "woke" for a long time if trying female versions of their male heroes is "woke".
220px-Shehulk1st.jpg

ms-marvel-1.jpg

009.jpg

Honestly She-Hulk is probably the most popular Marvel character to not have been in an MCU movie at this point. Even in some recent times her comic titles have sold well and been well received.
When I said woke, not "female" as also mentioned Tessa would have been a better option for that role and she is already in the MCU. I was talking specifically the actress. The fact Portman left over a dispute that she wasn't playing an important enough role and that it wasn't being directed by a female. I am concerned about the activism angle. The power of Thor being wielded by a female doesn't bother me at all if I buy the character on screen and they do it well.
You say this like Thor isn't already 1000x more powerful than Chris Hemsworth is IRL.
Well no ****, but image perception is important visually imo, at least initially. If they kept with that idea in mind for all the other characters, why does it all of sudden not matter now?
If you're looking for things to make sense, Thor historically isn't the place to find it. Jane Foster becomes Thor in the comics. Thor just finished a run where he is riding a magical goat throughout the galaxy.

172a91187c423f64ab2f1b3d87e7e5d4.jpg

Portman in Annhiliation

screen-shot-2017-09-27-at-10-28-00-am.png
I watched that movie, never got the impression she was tough. I did like her in that movie though. MCU gives me no reason to complain, so if they are fine with it, I'm sure it will work out but still a head scratcher to me.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

You are correct. The original director for Thor 2 was Patty Jenkins, who eventually moved to DC and directed Wonder Woman. Natalie Portman had just won an Oscar prior to filming Thor 2 and she pushed hard to get Jenkins on the project to help develop Jane Foster's character. When Jenkins left due to creative differences with Marvel it left Portman in the lurch, as she was under contract which I think is apparent in her performance in The Dark World.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Why would you give two craps about the activism angle? They'll either make a good movie or they won't, and I think it's pretty obvious Thor 2 would have been better with Patty Jenkins at the helm as opposed to whoever did it.

Love both your contributions to this thread so I'm trying to jump in here lovingly early on encouraging you guys to maybe consider tabling this thing. You guys haven't crossed any lines or anything yet, but it seems possible it may head that way. Not dealing with these back-and-forths in the past has been what has made this thread so great for so long as also so uniquely different from everywhere else. Let's not lose that and I'd hate to lose both of your good regular contributions because of this. I'm no mod. Just an earnest request.

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Why would you give two craps about the activism angle? They'll either make a good movie or they won't, and I think it's pretty obvious Thor 2 would have been better with Patty Jenkins at the helm as opposed to whoever did it.
I just don't want propoganda pushed on viewers who just want to watch a good movie is all. Marvel hasn't overdone any social agenda yet, I just hope they stay that way. No worries from me Trigger, I have no intention of arguing anything, just giving my opinion is all. To each their own.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

• Funny
Reactions: State43 and mapnerd

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I just don't want propoganda pushed on viewers who just want to watch a good movie is all. Marvel hasn't overdone any social agenda yet, I just hope they stay that way. No worries from me Trigger, I have no intention of arguing anything, just giving my opinion is all. To each their own.

I mean, marvel having a message is nothing new, i mean, look at the blatant messages in X-Men

I think too often lately a certain segment of people are going out of their way to look for that message, and then get pissed that someone is sending any message, instead of maybe listening to that message- especially since theyre usually the ones that need to hear it the most.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I mean, marvel having a message is nothing new, i mean, look at the blatant messages in X-Men

I think too often lately a certain segment of people are going out of their way to look for that message, and then get pissed that someone is sending any message, instead of maybe listening to that message- especially since theyre usually the ones that need to hear it the most.
I’m just speaking for me. I wasn’t on board with the black panther / Cap Marvel hate so...

Reactions: ThePUNisher96