ESPN's Stanford Steve picks ISU to win the Big 12

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I really don't think the outside noise is going to be a problem for this football team. Coach Campbell even addressed this potential issue at the Big 12 Media Day. He talked about how if they would've listened to the outside noise the past two years, they would've crumbled and not been able to do what they did. Nothing changes just because we have a little momentum. Coach Campbell is no doubt happy where he's brought the program but him and the other coaches are not satisfied.. They don't want the Alamo Bowl to be the ceiling, they truly believe this program is destined for better things and I'm buying into that as well.

The past two years Iowa State's worst loss in a conference came (point differential) came to Texas last year by 14. The second worst loss is OU last year by 10. The rest of the losses have been by a TD or less. Almost every one of those other losses was also decided very late in the 4th quarter. I truly believe that with how our scheduled is lined up, we have a legit shot to make the Big 12 title game and if we get there, who knows what happens. I also don't think OU or Texas gets there this year with an unblemished record. I think both of them have question marks on their just like we do, and they're going to have to figure out some things. Our defense is going to keep us in every game and if our offensive line is as good as some are saying, our offense should be much more consistent, especially the running game. If we can get to that Texas game with one conference loss, I think we beat Texas at home and win out against the Kansas schools to make the title game.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and srjclone

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I want to see the ISU o-line push opposing d-lines back at the line of scrimmage before I even entertain contending for a Big 12 championship. Our line is consistently being thrown 2-3 yards back.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Just enjoy a preseason where good things are predicted.

If we lose, it’s not going to hurt any more because we were picked 3rd.

It’s not the fans job to be the turds in the punch bowls.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I won't be surprised at all if Oklahoma falls to 9-3 or so this year. I know they are bringing in Grinch as DC but that defense was atrocious last year. Good thing they've had Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield the past 2 years to bail them out but they don't have that luxury this year. Jalen Hurts is a good player but he's not on that level. Honestly I think he's 4th best QB in conference (maybe at best)

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I won't be surprised at all if Oklahoma falls to 9-3 or so this year. I know they are bringing in Grinch as DC but that defense was atrocious last year. Good thing they've had Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield the past 2 years to bail them out but they don't have that luxury this year. Jalen Hurts is a good player but he's not on that level. Honestly I think he's 4th best QB in conference (maybe at best)
I think Jalen Hurts is very good but there are some really talented QB's in this conference this year. At Alabama, Hurts got into trouble when he had to consistently make the big time throws, which is a big reason why Tua took over. OU has been gifted to have back to back QB's that not only could beat you with their feet, but were some of the most accurate QB's in college football. Don't get me wrong, I think OU will be good this year but they're not going to have the best QB in the conference and you're right when you say Hurts could be the 4th best. Purdy, Ehlinger, and Brewer are the top three and Bowman from Tech is really good too.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think Jalen Hurts is very good but there are some really talented QB's in this conference this year. At Alabama, Hurts got into trouble when he had to consistently make the big time throws, which is a big reason why Tua took over. OU has been gifted to have back to back QB's that not only could beat you with their feet, but were some of the most accurate QB's in college football. Don't get me wrong, I think OU will be good this year but they're not going to have the best QB in the conference and you're right when you say Hurts could be the 4th best. Purdy, Ehlinger, and Brewer are the top three and Bowman from Tech is really good too.

I've rewatched our game with them last year. From my observations

A+ job by Heacock
Our defense played very well
If it wasn't for Murray playing magician running for his life and making some unbelievable plays, we hold them to several 3 and outs and make a ton of sacks.

I don't see any way Hurts can replicate that this year. I can't go so far to predict a win against them this year, but I can see it.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

A+ job by Heacock
If it wasn't for Murray playing magician running for his life and making some unbelievable plays, we hold them to several 3 and outs and make a ton of sacks.

I don't see any way Hurts can replicate that this year. I can't go so far to predict a win against them this year, but I can see it.
That and Brock

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

A+ job by Heacock

Hurts is really good at getting the "tough yards" with his feet but I don't see him having near the production that Mayfield and Murray had. I trust Heacock to put together a plan that will keep JH in the pocket and make him throw. I could see our defense really frustrate him.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Hurts is really good at getting the "tough yards" with his feet but I don't see him having near the production that Mayfield and Murray had. I trust Heacock to put together a plan that will keep JH in the pocket and make him throw. I could see our defense really frustrate him.
Our offense did an okay job last year in that OU game, but multiple times we'd stop them on defense and our offense needed to put some points on the board but couldn't get it done. We should know who we are offensively this year day 1. Last year Murray also made most of his plays while scrambling and throwing absolute dimes off of his back foot. When Hurts scrambles, he usually just takes off and tries to win the foot race. So we will see what scheme Heacock comes up with.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

A+ job by Heacock

Murray was really good at breaking contain. He was always the best athlete on the field, and he was also extremely accurate. I don't think Hurts has the quickness and definitely doesn't have the passing ability. But Riley's offense is awesome and looks easy for QBs.

I just don't see any way they don't take a step back at QB. I do think Grinch will clean up their defense pretty quickly. I hated that hire as an ISU fan.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think it's going to be a blood bath between us and Texas for the conference this year. OU I'm skeptical on. I don't think their defense will magically change over night, and the new QB was one dimensional at Alabama. Okey State and Baylor aren't there yet, but I could see Baylor surprising.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think it's going to be a blood bath between us and Texas for the conference this year. OU I'm skeptical on. I don't think their defense will magically change over night, and the new QB was one dimensional at Alabama. Okey State and Baylor aren't there yet, but I could see Baylor surprising.
Baylor's offense is going to be pretty good, however their defense is going to be not so good. They will go as far as their offense takes them.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Cart before the horse, but what is the tie breaker for title game if there's a 3 way tie for first place. For example OU 8-1 loses to Texas. UT 8-1 Loses to ISU. ISU 8-1 loses to OU?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I love how the media has succeeded in creating a “Jalen Hurts isn’t very good” narrative. No, he’s not Kylar Murray or Tua Tongvoloa, he’s just like the 3rd best QB in the nation he sucks.

Help Support Us

Become a patron