ESPN's Stanford Steve picks ISU to win the Big 12

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm not concerned about the defense at all, but I won't be sold on our offense until I see it.

CMC has never had even a decent offense while at ISU yet. The OL has always been an issue, and the scheme has always been an issue as well (yes, even when Manning was here).

We've always had the talent, minus the OL, but have never been able to utilize it with a good gameplan, play calling, etc.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Our o-line has come a long way. With Montgomery, we just needed them to get in someone's way while he did his thing. This year, I expect us to mostly use running plays that are built around running backs following the blocks. Yes, we could have a better running game than last year. That isn't to say Montgomery wasn't great, but that we will be much better as a unit of running backs and o-linemen.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I think he's vastly overestimating our run blocking and also the caliber of athletes. Improvements have come, but top to bottom we have nowhere near the athletes of Texas and Oklahoma. I'm just happy we have a real 2 deep now. It's possible we can win it, but it will take hard work, some lucky bounces, and probably some bad luck for some of our opponents. It looks like a fun season is ahead.
As much as I agree with you. That appears to be the mentality that Campbell is getting away from. We all know we don't have the talent of some of the top teams, but attention to detail, preparation, and effort can beat anyone. I would love to have the talent of OU and Texas, but sometimes it seems like when you get that talent, those type of players lack some of work ethic and team first mentality that wins titles.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I'm not concerned about the defense at all, but I won't be sold on our offense until I see it.

CMC has never had even a decent offense while at ISU yet. The OL has always been an issue, and the scheme has always been an issue as well (yes, even when Manning was here).

We've always had the talent, minus the OL, but have never been able to utilize it with a good gameplan, play calling, etc.
The offense has always taken what the defense gives them. The problem is, there's not a lot to have when your oline is poor.

• Disagree
Reactions: clonedude

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Never?

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and aauummm

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

I think Manning should put Tiller in this year.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
As much as I agree with you. That appears to be the mentality that Campbell is getting away from. We all know we don't have the talent of some of the top teams, but attention to detail, preparation, and effort can beat anyone. I would love to have the talent of OU and Texas, but sometimes it seems like when you get that talent, those type of players lack some of work ethic and team first mentality that wins titles.

Campbell's job is to convince those young men in the locker room, not the fans. I don't think we'll need to worry about the hard work aspect so check that one off.

Like I said, it's possible but we aren't the favorite for logical reasons. It's possible, but I'd put our chances of winning the Big 12 at something like 10-15% chance.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Scl5rwX.gif

So, you're saying..............

clone bone krieger IUS colors.jpg

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I mean this is a segment about betting right? 7-1 odds probably is the best bet, he isn't picking us outright.
That's what I thought too, but I think he actually thinks we win it based on his comments

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
As I have said before, if we do not have an above average OL this year then we might never will. Return all 5 starters, 4 of which are seniors, so they have been in the system at least 4 years. They have all played together, so they should know each others strengths and weaknesses, there should be on miscommunication issues.
Its time for this group to take the necessary step up and become a unit of strength, instead of a weakness that it has been for years.
The talent is there, the experience is there, now its time to stop talking about it and doing it on the field.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Oline will be much improved. Manning is back for a reason folks.
Manning is back to put the whole offense together. I expect the OL to be improved. Not sure why everyone wants to credit that solely to Manning. Not only does Matt Campbell know the OL, he knows a good young OL coach when he chooses one.

As I have said before, if we do not have an above average OL this year then we might never will. Return all 5 starters, 4 of which are seniors, so they have been in the system at least 4 years. They have all played together, so they should know each others strengths and weaknesses, there should be on miscommunication issues.
Its time for this group to take the necessary step up and become a unit of strength, instead of a weakness that it has been for years.
The talent is there, the experience is there, now its time to stop talking about it and doing it on the field.
If not this year, “never”? Seriously?

When those four seniors graduate, they’ll be replaced by players with high ceilings. However successful they are in 2019, 2020 should yield fairly similar results. That group will be building around at least one, perhaps two (or more) returning starters.

Then in 2021, unless Sean Foster grabs a starting spot in his 2020 senior year, we’ll likely return all five OL starters again.

I think that’ll be an ***-kicking offensive line.

“Never” isn’t a very long time.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Manning is back to put the whole offense together. I expect the OL to be improved. Not sure why everyone wants to credit that solely to Manning. Not only does Matt Campbell know the OL, he knows a good young OL coach when he chooses one.

If not this year, “never”? Seriously?

When those four seniors graduate, they’ll be replaced by players with high ceilings. However successful they are in 2019, 2020 should yield fairly similar results. That group will be building around at least one, perhaps two (or more) returning starters.

Then in 2021, unless Sean Foster grabs a starting spot in his 2020 senior year, we’ll likely return all five OL starters again.

I think that’ll be an ***-kicking offensive line.

“Never” isn’t a very long time.
What I am saying is that all five started last year, if the recruits are that much better, then why have they not replaced the starters we have? I love the recruiting that Campbell is doing, but its not like we are loading up on 4 and 5 star offensive lineman.
Lineman at many schools are made not highly ranked. What did Campbell say, when he got to Ames, we have 3 players that could bench press 300 or more pounds. I suspect we have more than that now, a lot more.
All five started last year, four are seniors, OLine has been a weakness for years, if we can not have a strong OL this year, then when will it happen.