Are Husker fans setting themselves up for disappointment?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The odds would say that Nebby fans will be disappointed because anything short of making the B1G Championship game will be a disappointment for them with their egos and expectations for this season.

I do think Frost will get it done there though, and that's not good for ISU recruiting. Look at Gunnerson already. And there will be more to follow if Nebby gets back to being a top 10 team.

We just have to hope we can keep winning too.

I think so too, but their fans need to do some soul-searching on what “getting it done” means.

I think Frost will get back to Bo’s 8-10 win year, maybe a breakout 11 win year here and there where he wins the big game Bo couldn’t. They need to realize their days as a perennial NC contender are over.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not sure if Nebraska will ever be 'back' due to various reasons but they'll put together a few 10 win seasons together occasionally and maybe break through to bigger things.

I'm not as concerned on the recruiting end...keep getting the 3-4 star types and keep CMC happy and ISU will continue to be decent which is way better than the norm.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm not as concerned on the recruiting end...keep getting the 3-4 star types and keep CMC happy and ISU will continue to be decent which is way better than the norm.

Not sure where Frost will focus recruiting, but is there much of an overlap between target areas? NU's roster right now has quite a bit of Nebraska -- I don't know if we even have anyone from Omaha (just a quick glance at the rosters). Campbell probably has a consistent pipeline for Ohio (and perhaps Pa. & Mich.). I think Nebraska has maybe two from Iowa (?)

• Funny
Reactions: Lineup

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Not sure where Frost will focus recruiting, but is there much of an overlap between target areas? NU's roster right now has quite a bit of Nebraska -- I don't know if we even have anyone from Omaha (just a quick glance at the rosters). Campbell probably has a consistent pipeline for Ohio (and perhaps Pa. & Mich.). I think Nebraska has maybe two from Iowa (?)
Just taking a quick look at their commit list from 19 and for 20, its kind of all over the board in terms of location. Other than Gunnerson and Grant Treiber, I'm not sure Campbell and Frost have gone against each other on the recruiting trail much so far.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Probably for this year but this is part of the growing process. I’m not a big Nebby hater (I just don’t care) but Frost is legit and they are going to be a ND kind of program in that tier below the perennial playoff teams like Clemson, Bama, OU pretty soon. That’s just the way it’s going to be.
I'd put them more in the perennial conference title contenders category. They win the west every other year and occasionally win the title game. That's not to say they're actually that close to playoff glory, but rather they're the strongest small fry in the west. Actually comparing Notre Dame and Nebraska is flattering to Nebraska. Notre Dame's tv deal isn't as special as it used to be, but they still have national and religious pull and the prestige that comes with independence. Nebraska has lost it's traditional recruiting territories, rivals, inequal revenue distribution, and a good chunk of its prestige. And their ability to take partial qualifiers and bankroll their walk-on program.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The odds would say that Nebby fans will be disappointed because anything short of making the B1G Championship game will be a disappointment for them with their egos and expectations for this season.

I do think Frost will get it done there though, and that's not good for ISU recruiting. Look at Gunnerson already. And there will be more to follow if Nebby gets back to being a top 10 team.

We just have to hope we can keep winning too.
As long as Campbell stays, I am not worried about him or his staff getting quality guys to come here..

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'd put them more in the perennial conference title contenders category. They win the west every other year and occasionally win the title game. That's not to say they're actually that close to playoff glory, but rather they're the strongest small fry in the west. Actually comparing Notre Dame and Nebraska is flattering to Nebraska. Notre Dame's tv deal isn't as special as it used to be, but they still have national and religious pull and the prestige that comes with independence. Nebraska has lost it's traditional recruiting territories, rivals, inequal revenue distribution, and a good chunk of its prestige. And their ability to take partial qualifiers and bankroll their walk-on program.

I’m talking purely results when comparing those two programs. I think you’ll see Nebraska get a couple scattered playoff births and also have a season like ND’s 2016 where they need to retool for just a season for another build up.