Are Husker fans setting themselves up for disappointment?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Did not know awd4cy was a Husker fan.
I’m just not blind what’s being built over there. Doesn’t take much to see how they improved a lot in the first year even though it didn’t result in many wins. Reminded me a lot of what Matt Campbell did here in 2016. Hopefully it at least results in them beating Iowa yearly.

• Creative
Reactions: IASTATE07

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
The hype regarding Nebraska football seems to be going off the rails this offseason. Nebraska finished out the season okay but still only had 4 wins. I thought that Adrian Martinez looked talented as well but I have no idea how the rest of the team is.

Many media members have the team in the top 10 and favorites to win the BIG.

With the hype surrounding Frosty the Coachman and the Nebraska football team, are the fans and Nebraska media setting themselves up for disappointment? It sure seems that way to me.
As much as I hate Nebby, I wouldn't mind seeing them spank Iowa on a yearly basis.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I’m just not blind what’s being built over there. Doesn’t take much to see how they improved a lot in the first year even though it didn’t result in many wins. Reminded me a lot of what Matt Campbell did here in 2016. Hopefully it at least results in them beating Iowa yearly.
I would argue that what Brohm is doing at Purdue is more impressive than what Frost has done at Nebraska (so far). I don’t know if flirting with the Louisville job hurt his recruiting class or not, but he seems to have built a steady 7-8 win team out there.

• Agree
Reactions: Lafaester54

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
How easy is their schedule? 9-3 seems logical. BigWest champs, and get smoked in championship game?

I think I read they are favored in 11 out of 12 games. That was a couple weeks ago. To go from 4 - 8 last year to favored in 11 games, obviously the schedule is weak. Many teams are weak this year (WI, NW, IL, Purdue, Minnesota). So by being even marginally better, Nebraska becomes the better team. Their season essentially consists of Ohio State and Iowa.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Not really. their schedule is easy and I’d be surprised if they won less than 8-9 games. It was pretty obvious they made huge strides from their 0-5 start last year or whatever it was. Plus I really do think Frost is a great coach.

I think Frost is going to be fine, but teams in the Midwest have to play defense and be able to run the ball when the weather turns cold. They are a far cry from the black shirts from the 90s. I look for them to surprise a few teams and then have a couple head scratching losses

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The hype regarding Nebraska football seems to be going off the rails this offseason. Nebraska finished out the season okay but still only had 4 wins. I thought that Adrian Martinez looked talented as well but I have no idea how the rest of the team is.

Many media members have the team in the top 10 and favorites to win the BIG.

With the hype surrounding Frosty the Coachman and the Nebraska football team, are the fans and Nebraska media setting themselves up for disappointment? It sure seems that way to me.

Will they be better this year? I think so.

Top 10? LOL

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I think Deace said on a podcast that Nebby’s Freahman and Sophomores scored the most points in the Big 10 in his talent metric that he uses to formulate his preview.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think Deace said on a podcast that Nebby’s Freahman and Sophomores scored the most points in the Big 10 in his talent metric that he uses to formulate his preview.
Definitely interesting. I do think Scott Frost is a good coach like Campbell and fairly likable like Campbell. I don’t like seeing Nebby relevant, but at the minimum I won’t be sad if they beat Iowa yearly.

IH8Iowa24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2016
Nebraska's first season under Frost reminded me a lot of Campbell's first season at Iowa State. Struggled significantly at the beginning, started to develop and improve but blew a few leads during the mid-season, and then got it figured out towards the end. I could see 8 wins given their schedule, but I'm definitely not drinking the new year's six kool-aid.

On a side note, I still can't get over their stupid claim to lead the country in "consecutive sellouts" when a quarter of that dang stadium would consistently be empty. That booster club definitely has spent some coin picking up the tap for those remaining empty seats over the past few years...

Reactions: Lineup

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
This is a fanbase always changing the 90’s, so yes they are setting the bar too high. But I think Frost is actually a pretty good coach and has them going in the right direction.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lineup

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Will they be better this year? I think so.

Top 10? LOL
The only thing is, if they have a decent record they will get all sorts of national media hype and end up over-ranked. Just like Iowa every year.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
SIAP......But, let's also consider if Cyclone fans are setting ourselves up for disappointment. Optimism is great, though. And everyone is undefeated in July.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
SIAP......But, let's also consider if Cyclone fans are setting ourselves up for disappointment. Optimism is great, though. And everyone is undefeated in July.

This doesn’t really work on a large section of ISU fan. Some ISU fans can find disappointment in a babies first steps, or a beautiful sunrise, or fresh baked batch of grandmas cookies.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Nebby will end up like Iowa many years due to schedule. 8ish wins and look better than they actually are. Then get ***** slapped in their bowl game and leave the whole fan base wondering wtf just happened

Reactions: Acylum

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Nebraska won't be as bad as Iowa fans want them to be nor as good as Nebby fans want them to be. They will be better than last year...not hard.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The odds would say that Nebby fans will be disappointed because anything short of making the B1G Championship game will be a disappointment for them with their egos and expectations for this season.

I do think Frost will get it done there though, and that's not good for ISU recruiting. Look at Gunnerson already. And there will be more to follow if Nebby gets back to being a top 10 team.

We just have to hope we can keep winning too.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Nebby will end up like Iowa many years due to schedule. 8ish wins and look better than they actually are. Then get ***** slapped in their bowl game and leave the whole fan base wondering wtf just happened

I don't know if you knew this, but B1G teams don't do well in bowl games because they play other teams during the season.

That was always the go-to in Hokland anyway.

Reactions: JM4CY