New Car "Advances" that you don't like

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Also I'd like point out the obvious here that probably 80% of the complaints in this thread are going to be because of user error.

Or at the very least not consulting the google machine to figure out how to change or turn off the setting they dislike.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Auto-start/stop took some getting used to but I can actually see it helping me mileage-wise in my F-150. Anticipating lights isn't hard.

Proximity keys are the bomb. Jump into my truck and not have to grab my keys out of my pocket or anything? Great! Don't have metal keys in my pocket scratching my phone screen? Great!

Backup cameras are also awesome. I can't necessarily see the cart of the people parked next to me over the toolbox in my truck bed. Now common sense would dictate they don't put the cart there in the first place but that's not always the case.

The side to side rear sensors are fantastic. Backing out of the garage and kid/dog/wife goes whipping by in the front yard? It sees that a hell of a lot sooner than I would. Backing out of the stupid perpendicular parking at Target? Life saver.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I can't stand the comfort access in my M5. I don't need the doors unlocked for me as I approach the car or grab the handle, just let me use the FOB. Also, I agree on the auto engine shutoff when the vehicle is stopped. I know it helps with gas mileage but it's completely unnecessary on a car like this. Glad I'm able to disable it.

yeah my M5 was driving me nuts too. decided to trade it in for a buick skylark at benson motors and that thing doesn't have one single piece of annoying technology!

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
One time, I got frustrated at my push-button start because it wasn't working. Absolutely no response at all. I was trying to figure out if there was a problem with the switch, or if maybe there was an issue with the battery or the starter.

It turns out I accidentally grabbed the spare garage door opener and put it in my pocket thinking it was my key fob (they are nearly identical in size).

All I could do was hang my head in shame. Thankfully this was not one of the times where my wife was in the car next to me.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
I don't like that the automatic headlights on my Hyundai don't turn on until its almost completely dark, but the always on setting will still turn them off automatically once the car is turned off so I just leave them on that.

I don't like the price tag associated with all the new features. I backed into my husbands truck parked in the middle of the driveway and damaged the blind spot sensor. Will cost $2K to repair and I don't really miss it so I haven't done it yet. I also learned in that process that my car doesn't beep when you get too close to something, so that's nice. I do miss when it would beep if a car was coming from the side while backing up like in a parking lot.

I also do not like that the climate control in my car is by degrees and it takes me like 5 or more complete turns of the dial to go from the highest to lowest setting. Seems like such a waste when no one needs to set it to exactly 71 degrees.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Grumpy old man thread, sweet. The automatic brights are nice when they work but I have had some issues with them, like brighting cops and others at inopportune moments. The best was this guy followed me home because the brights went on while I was behind him, was dusk and I guess they got confused. He turned around and followed me like a mile, didn't even realize it till I got out of the car. The look on his face going from pissed off to confused when I told him they were automatic was priceless though.

Ohh I hate auto brights... had to have the wife read the manual to figure out how to turn them off when we were on a roadtrip.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
The stop/start tech can go to hell. When the light is green, I don't want to wait for the engine to restart. The keyless fob is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. Toss it in my pocket and go. At the store with a couple bags...no issue, touch and open. I hate using my wife's car now, because I always forget to grab the keys.

People that "don't mind" this, do not drive in the city. I hate the pause.

Plus, I work with mech engineers who say this restarting is like starting your engine dry without oil everytime and will greatly diminish engine life.

I'm 50/50 on the keyless fob. I like it outside the car, but I also liked actually using a key to start the car, and not having to throw my keys into the cup holder.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I like my backup camera because sometimes it can pick up a car coming down the aisle that I may not have noticed.

I still look over my shoulder just because that’s how I was taught

Wife has a newer car with this. The alerting of cross traffic in your rear camera is so nice. It goes off way before I can see another car. Makes getting out of a space much easier.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Fog lights. Most jackwagons have them on all the time and don’t understand that they basically will be like brights on for oncoming traffic if it isn’t foggy. More an operator deficiency though.

I live where there are lots of deer. Lots of habitat, practically zero hunting. We use our fog lights all the time simply to light up as much of the shoulders as possible.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Biggest annoyance is getting out of the vehicle for a few seconds to run into a store or pick something up or just any reason to get out of the vehicle. If I don't turn it off it honks twice to remind me that I've walked away from my running vehicle. I see the point but it still annoys me. People look at you like you've done something wrong. It even does it on the BACK doors. It should be disabled if there's another butt in any vehicle seat.

Also wish I could figure out how to leave my car running and locked. Often I have the pup inside and need to leave the A/C on for the duration. I've had a bit of success by bringing both fobs - I can then leave it running and locked, but it times out in 15 minutes so pup is then in the hot box. So have to be very careful.

I had a previous car that I could use the door combo to unlock it and that worked great. New one has the combo too, but doesn't work the same.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It’s not new but the ding ding ding sound when you open the door with the keys in the ignition might be the most annoying sound on earth. Can’t stand back up cameras either.

Related but I absolutely hate how our '17 constantly beeps at you when the keys leave the car but it's running. Yes someone is running into Caseys, get a grip and stop annoying me.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Are you sure you're not just getting fat, because I have experienced the same thing and this is the conclusion I have drawn.

I'm a big build and tall guy granted, and have a very large rear genetically(used to wear jeans 2 or 3 waist sizes too big to fit my butt and thighs before relaxed fit, etc), but I'm in an Acadia, which should be "roomy" and the seat backs are below my shoulders and it is cramped. I honestly wouldn't mind a return to bench seats with an open console. Its funny how I can feel more comfortable in some cars than these popular station wagons that masquerade as an suv.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm a big build and tall guy granted, and have a very large rear genetically(used to wear jeans 2 or 3 waist sizes too big to fit my butt and thighs before relaxed fit, etc), but I'm in an Acadia, which should be "roomy" and the seat backs are below my shoulders and it is cramped. I honestly wouldn't mind a return to bench seats with an open console. Its funny how I can feel more comfortable in some cars than these popular station wagons that masquerade as an suv.
Damn, you thicc.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Oh dang Beyoncé

• Funny