The Mess is Back in the Big 12

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Messingham isn't scaring me, but I think Klieman is gonna be a good fit over there. It may take a few years, but his teams have been known for their physicality and discipline. I'm not sure if they will be able to attract top-end talent at the skill positions, but I think he'll get a lot of those undervalued guys and JUCOs that play their asses off for him.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Messingham isn't scaring me, but I think Klieman is gonna be a good fit over there. It may take a few years, but his teams have been known for their physicality and discipline. I'm not sure if they will be able to attract top-end talent at the skill positions, but I think he'll get a lot of those undervalued guys and JUCOs that play their asses off for him.

That's the catch, though. Are the Snyder loyalists going to give him that much rope? Because I think he's going to struggle some the first couple years. I agree that Klieman is a good coach and given enough time he'll build a winner, but for him to succeed at K State he might have been better off replacing the guy who replaced Snyder. Big shoes to fill and I just wonder how patient the fans will be.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
That's the catch, though. Are the Snyder loyalists going to give him that much rope? Because I think he's going to struggle some the first couple years. I agree that Klieman is a good coach and given enough time he'll build a winner, but for him to succeed at K State he might have been better off replacing the guy who replaced Snyder. Big shoes to fill and I just wonder how patient the fans will be.
I think they are more grounded than you might believe. They saw what happened when The Vampire retired before.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think they are more grounded than you might believe. They saw what happened when The Vampire retired before.

Fair point. We'll see. I'll be curious to see if Bill Snyder maintains some visibility around the program. You'd think he would just step away and give the new guy some room to establish himself, but if Snyder pulls a John Thompson routine and just kind of hangs around the program he's going to cast a big shadow.

CyTron

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
NWI
I just hope he dials up a tunnel screen on 4th and 4 against us like he did against Iowa in 2013. That was a sweet play call:eek:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I still wonder how much of that was Rhoads. I remember a couple times we had big losses Rhoads thought we didn’t run enough bubble screens. I think everyone else was wondering why we ran so many.

Must have been the trusty chart.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: burn587

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Nice guy. Think he got a bad rap. I think he is probably a pretty good coach. You can only deal with the talent you have.

Didn't like his play calling and I didn't like the way he threw his players under the bus when they couldn't make the ESPN highlight plays. Granted the talent was not great back then, but he also called a lot of plays that had no chance to succeed.