KU Selling Alcohol at Games

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
It's not going to cause more drunks in the stadium, it's certainly not going to hurt tailgating, and it may 'cheapen' the club section but it's still going to sell out because it's not that much more money and people like the option of going inside when it's either too hot or cold.

It's a no-brainer but of course some people will complain about anything. The only legitimate complaint I've seen is the concession lines, but I'm sure they'll have separate ones that don't sell beer so I doubt that will be much of an issue either.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It's not going to cause more drunks in the stadium, it's certainly not going to hurt tailgating, and it may 'cheapen' the club section but it's still going to sell out because it's not that much more money and people like the option of going inside when it's either too hot or cold.

It's a no-brainer but of course some people will complain about anything. The only legitimate complaint I've seen is the concession lines, but I'm sure they'll have separate ones that don't sell beer so I doubt that will be much of an issue either.

Those south endzone seats won't sell out for half they price they are now though.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
People complain about the lines at the concession stands now. Imagine the lines for beer...

Plastic cups (which is my understanding is all that are allowed) spill. There's no place to set them down, there's no cover to prevent them from sloshing all over your seatmates. Where I went to college beer was allowed in the stands. I have spent enough time coming home wearing other peoples' beer.

Seriously, you can't make it through a game without continuous booze? Seems like a personal issue to me.
I NEVER go to the concession stands. I can go a day without food and can certainly make it through a game without concessions, especially after tailgating. I hate missing game action so I would prbably not benefit from in-game beer sales unless they had people in the stands selling.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I NEVER go to the concession stands. I can go a day without food and can certainly make it through a game without concessions, especially after tailgating. I hate missing game action so I would prbably not benefit from in-game beer sales unless they had people in the stands selling.

Here's my hot generalization on the topic...from the perspective of attending college sporting events for over 30 years...

The percentage of people attending FB (and this can apply to MBB as well) games to actually watch the game (hard core fans) is declining, while the percentage of people attending FB games as a social event (casual fans) is increasing. The beer and alcohol sales are needed for the latter, to draw them in, keep them entertained, and get them to come back. Hard-core fans will be at the game...casual fans...maybe, maybe not.

If you've got a smaller stadium and and a good base of hard-core fans, you don't need to sell booze. However, if you've got seats to fill, in-stadium alcohol sales seems to be the one of the magic tricks used to try and fill the stadium. It's no coincidence that the increase in number of college stadiums selling alcohol is occurring as college FB attendance continues to drop.

From the article below linked below:
One may think the SEC would rise above competing conferences when it comes to fans turning out on Saturdays, however, statistics showed that every Power 5 conference, sans the ACC, saw attendance decline in 2018.

For the seventh time in eight years, numbers dipped. College football attendance has now sunk to its lowest mark in 22 years. The average college football attendance last season was 41,856 among all 129 FBS programs, the least it has been since 1996.

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2019/0...-solution-how-does-it-relate-to-uga-football/

Last edited:

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I just hit the concession stand to get my mixer (coke) for the rum I smuggle in Mrs. Gaggi's bra.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
UT was selling beer and mixed drinks in the stands in Austin last year for the ISU/UT game, they had little stands off the ramps and opposite the food stands. I think beer was 8 bucks, I never purchased it myself, but I did drink one that my son brought back for me. Good variety, had some local beers, and Miller I think.
Caused no problems that I could see.
Give it a few years, we will be selling beer in JTS. It will not hurt the premium seating much at all. They also get better food and shorter lines to the bathroom, plus they can get out of the cold.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and SC Cy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is an EASY decision for JP IMO.

You sell beer stadium wide for $10 a can, and don't allow anyone to leave at halftime anymore. That would be awesome.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Jamie has said nearly all the problems we have now are because of alcohol. More of it is the last thing we need. His words not mine.