Kempt, Lanning join ISU Football coaching staff

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
what does this mean? isn't the best option the one you get to choose for yourself?

Agreed. If Kempt thinks that coaching might be a career possibility then now's the time to scratch that itch. If it doesn't work out then he can move on with a degree in hand.

I do agree that I wish Lanning could have stuck in the pro game. But hey, maybe this doesn't slam the door on that. He's coaching now and getting experience but if an NFL (or even an XFL 2.0) opportunity came along he and Campbell would figure something out.

Reactions: beentherebefore

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Glad they are part of the program but also a bit sad. Kempt has better options available for him but if it's what he wants to do... Hoped that Joel got more of a chance to play.

This seems sort of silly. No one forced them to do it. If Kyle wants to try out coaching, he can. He can go back to his major later. And Joel may not want to play anymore. That’s hard on a body.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
what exactly will they be doing as quality control?
I have a friend that was in that role at tOSU

A quality control coach is a member of the coaching staff of an American football or Canadian football team whose primary job is preparing the team for a game, beginning sometimes two or three weeks before the actual game. ... Defensivequality control will do similar analysis of the offense.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think you're right. As much as I'd love to see Georges roaming the sideline for the Cyclones someday, I think he'd be a hell of a broadcaster or in-studio guy with his personality.

He'd be a heck of a lot better than a lot of these schmucks out there and I'm not even biased.

He had some good and funny arguments with CW in a couple of those podcasts that were much more interesting than Stephen A. and Skippy.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
He'd be a heck of a lot better than a lot of these schmucks out there and I'm not even biased.

He had some good and funny arguments with CW in a couple of those podcasts that were much more interesting than Stephen A. and Skippy.

Agreed. Loud doesn't necessarily equal entertaining. It's mostly just annoying.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Joel must have a little more between the ears than the, " couldn't learn the playbook guy that was widely speculated ". Great to have two proven winners back.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Agreed. If Kempt thinks that coaching might be a career possibility then now's the time to scratch that itch. If it doesn't work out then he can move on with a degree in hand.

I do agree that I wish Lanning could have stuck in the pro game. But hey, maybe this doesn't slam the door on that. He's coaching now and getting experience but if an NFL (or even an XFL 2.0) opportunity came along he and Campbell would figure something out.

Talked to a high school buddy of Lanning's at a 4th of July party. He said the XFL had called but he had no interest.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Two solid 'Clones for sure. Glad to have them back in some way.

If you only believe half the hype about Campbell and Co you'd still think this is a great place for them to get into coaching.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The mud is only wet out of anticipation of having Joel's finger in it...

I always wondered why he did this. Now I know.

1x8ggm.gif

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Maybe Lanning will be our off-field version of Terry Tate.

Someone tries to sneak out after curfew? Lanning comes out of the bushes and trucks them to the pavement.
Skip a class? Woo woo, get ready for the Joel-dozer !

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
In the Begining there was nothing ... then Lanning horse-collared tackled nothing and told it to get a job.

Reactions: madguy30

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I have a friend that was in that role at tOSU

A quality control coach is a member of the coaching staff of an American football or Canadian football team whose primary job is preparing the team for a game, beginning sometimes two or three weeks before the actual game. ... Defensivequality control will do similar analysis of the offense.

Wouldn’t that describe pretty much every coaching position?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Wouldn’t that describe pretty much every coaching position?
I get the impression it’s a multipurpose job title. Much more polite than, say, “gofer”. As I understand it, they do all the stuff leading up to a game that no one else wants t—er, that frees up the full time coaches for other duties.

In Tom Manning vernacular, they probably don’t get to have a whistle.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Remember when Naz talked to the team after the won the Big 12 tournament...?

That was some Hoosiers stuff there. You cannot teach that kind of leadership and poise.

Could you imagine Naz as a recruiter...?

I am glad these guys are having professional success and making money as player but, my oh my, there is a unique and special set of personalities attached to that era that you can imagine as coaches (and the same way we are starting to develop that with football).

Son has went to a couple of Naz’s camps and he just loves the way Naz interacts with everyone

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron