Depth Chart for Nebraska Game

leg4cy

Apr 12, 2006
Humboldt, IA
Changes at right tackle and both cornerback positions. Haughton and the two freshman are listed as starters. All I can say is, thank God. We need physical corners and the upperclassmen were not getting it done as evidenced by successful bubble screen after bubble screen on Saturday night.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Changes at right tackle and both cornerback positions. Haughton and the two freshman are listed as starters. All I can say is, thank God. We need physical corners and the upperclassmen were not getting it done as evidenced by successful bubble screen after bubble screen on Saturday night.

IMO, it was our scheme that left us vulnerable on the screen. We were lining up at least 10 yards back on their wideouts.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That's why I'm surprised they made the changes - usually coaches don't do that. I'd guess Gene is pissed off and is showing the guys nobody's job is safe and that guys need to perform. If you look as well, Hamilton dropped down to third string behind Darks, Chris Weir is now the backup to Tate, etc.

leg4cy

Apr 12, 2006
Humboldt, IA
IMO, it was our scheme that left us vulnerable on the screen. We were lining up at least 10 yards back on their wideouts.

I agree. I was extremely irritated at our corners letting themselves be blocked so easily on the corner though. But then again, maybe our strategy was to just be an obstacle rather than a tackler.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I agree. I was extremely irritated at our corners letting themselves be blocked so easily on the corner though. But then again, maybe our strategy was to just be an obstacle rather than a tackler.

The screen game was a nightmare on both sides of the ball. We had some VERY poorly executed screens that there was no excuse for. Many times Baylor was covering three with two and we still couldn't block them on the screen.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
The screen game was a nightmare on both sides of the ball. We had some VERY poorly executed screens that there was no excuse for. Many times Baylor was covering three with two and we still couldn't block them on the screen.

looked liked our FR receivers (SJ) were not strong enough at the point of attack.

couple more years in the weight room.

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
My favorite change is no Michael O’Connell returning punts. Was wondering if Gene had a 10 muff/fumble grace period or something.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Bigger question...

Why is Bass #3.

He was the lone flicker of brightness on Saturday

I saw Bass whiff on at least 3 or 4 blocks.

I think he's probably the best runner we have, but as a running back he's not as reliable as Scales when it comes to pass protection.

And let's face it, we need Arnaud to stay healthy if possible, and Scales helps more than Bass does in that regard.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue

Exactly. But the question is why on earth did we continue to play that way all game? Baylor could complete quick outs and screen plays vs. the D at will. What was Coach Bolt doing? The more I watch our defense, the less confident I am that Bolt can turn this thing around. I hope his close friendship with Chizik does not end up really hurting the team in the future.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I saw Bass whiff on at least 3 or 4 blocks.

I think he's probably the best runner we have, but as a running back he's not as reliable as Scales when it comes to pass protection.

And let's face it, we need Arnaud to stay healthy if possible, and Scales helps more than Bass does in that regard.

Could be it. I thought he did an ok job, the few times I paid attention to pass protection.

(BTW - was the camera work Saturday night putrid, or what?)

But still. Nothing against A-Rob. But what did he do to deserve the nod ahead of either?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
we need some serious help at safety...yikes

Yes we do, badly...

Question about safety since it is one position I really don't know much about. There were tons of times that Griffin got out onthe edge and our safeties crashed fast for run support then Griffin just lobbed it over their heads. Shouldn't they have been playing the pass untill Griffin was commited to the run?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So did Banks get injured further or are they waiting for that cast to come off. Or, is he getting ready for a switch to strong safety (my personal preference).

cyentist

Oct 11, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Yes we do, badly...

Question about safety since it is one position I really don't know much about. There were tons of times that Griffin got out onthe edge and our safeties crashed fast for run support then Griffin just lobbed it over their heads. Shouldn't they have been playing the pass untill Griffin was commited to the run?

Have to think Gene knows we're weak there, why he signed Troy Butler out of JC.

Help Support Us

Become a patron