Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
There were a couple of times when the problem was really forced, and the bus scene was one of them. Why couldn't he just tell E.D.I.T.H. what to do?

I didn't hate this movie but actually felt like it was the weakest of the recent Marvel movies I've seen (haven't seen them all) and it kind of felt like they're running on fumes.

Maybe some of the others will be better.

I'm still more in the middle on it, but I'll be seeing it again tomorrow, and I'm guessing I will like it more after that. Compared to the more recent Marvel movies, it was still stronger than Captain Marvel for sure, but nowhere near the level of Endgame. Honestly, it is fairly close to Ant-Man and the Wasp and even shares other similarities with that movie.

I think some people really love Mysterio after this movie, but while I liked him, he isn't a Top 5 MCU villain for me. Just in the Spider-Man world, I liked the Vulture much more. Keaton was amazing. I still have nightmares of that car scene.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/taika-waititi-direct-thor-4-1224464

According to THR, which is a very legit news outlet, there will be a Thor 4 coming out and Taika Waititi will be back to direct. This is great news!!!! While I'm excited for all the new and semi-new characters we've got ahead of us in future MCU films, its good to still have one of the old guard original Avengers continuing on their saga.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/taika-waititi-direct-thor-4-1224464

According to THR, which is a very legit news outlet, there will be a Thor 4 coming out and Taika Waititi will be back to direct. This is great news!!!! While I'm excited for all the new and semi-new characters we've got ahead of us in future MCU films, its good to still have one of the old guard original Avengers continuing on their saga.

Agreed. This is a nice way to keep the momentum going.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Off-topic tangent:
It boggles my mind that Waititi starred alongside Ryan Reynolds in Green Lantern. That film should have been a career-ender for all involved, but in actuality I think it’s helped get comic book movies to where they are at today. Deadpool’s jokes wouldn’t hit as hard if not for GL. Also it’s a testament to see an actor like Mark Strong appearing again in other comic book films like Kingsmen & Shazam! Maybe DC can bring back Waititi and let him take a stab at Green Lantern Corps.

Reactions: Triggermv

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Thor 4 will also be a guardians movie basically right? It should also introduce the next cosmic villain to replace Thanos. I am assuming it will be Thor 4 that introduces us to Adam Warlock but the next Guardians movie is when we find out he is friend, not foe as he joins them to oppose the next villain.

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Another off topic tangent: they should not be making a live action Akira. The original is still really good and man those live action anime remakes never work out. Never.
YeAh, they have to embrace the feel of anime but not the absurdity. I am patiently waiting for several classic anime’s to be made that probably never will (Berserk, Naruto, R. Kenshin, and a few others.). Dragon ball was god awful, Ghost in the Shell was okay at best but Bleach wasn’t horrible for a low budget Japanese movie.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Thor 4 will also be a guardians movie basically right? It should also introduce the next cosmic villain to replace Thanos. I am assuming it will be Thor 4 that introduces us to Adam Warlock but the next Guardians movie is when we find out he is friend, not for as he joins them to oppose the next villain.

I saw some hedging about Thor and Guardians, I'm not sure there's a plan for sure.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Thor 4 will also be a guardians movie basically right? It should also introduce the next cosmic villain to replace Thanos. I am assuming it will be Thor 4 that introduces us to Adam Warlock but the next Guardians movie is when we find out he is friend, not for as he joins them to oppose the next villain.

Its actually pretty confusing as of this moment. With this Thor 4 announcement movie, that means there is BOTH a Guardians 3 (James Gunn is back to direct) and now a Thor 4 in the pipeline. Based on the ending of Endgame, one would think that it would go Guardians 3 first with Thor being a part of the gang in that, then followed by Thor 4. However, beings how James Gunn has to make Suicide Squad 2 first before he can even get to Guardians, that would really push Thor 4 really far down the line, which I'm not sure makes sense either. With Taika dropping Akira, it sounds sooner than later for a Thor 4. Regardless, we likely will know more soon enough by Saturday of Comic Con.

As for the next big overarching bad, I wouldn't be so certain that villain will be a cosmic one. There has been a lot of rumors that Normal Osborne will be that guy. Again, I think we may learn more on this front come Saturday.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So, I saw Spider-Man: Far From Home for a second time last night with my daughter (this was her first seeing in a theater) and I thought it might be worth posting a few spoilery thoughts after a second viewing:

-While I thought I would like Far From Home more after a second viewing, I was actually surprised to say this wasn't really the case. It stayed about the same for me as a lower mid-tier MCU movie for me.
-Any scene Happy Hogan was a part of were the best scenes of the movie. I thought he was kind of a jerk in Far From Home, yet I loved him in this movie.
-I've come to the final consensus that I simply just don't love the character of Mysterio period. I didn't like him in the comics or the cartoons, and I didn't love him in this. I've boiled it down to the fact that I both don't like how all his powers are fake and illusions and I also don't love his motivations for why he does what he does. Even in this movie, I felt like they had to take some pretty big jumps in motivations.
-The mind-trippy visuals, which I know many people loved just don't do anything for me. Focusing too heavy on that stuff was a lot of why I didn't love Doctor Strange, and its also why I think Inception is overrated.
-Spider-Man ultimately battling a bunch of drones in the final scene wasn't the final battle I was hoping for even though it was inevitable based on Mysterio's actual powers
-Regardless of my thoughts on Mysterio as a character, Jake Gyllenhaal in the role was great.
-The bus scene didn't work as good the second time
-I still don't love the trekking around Europe setting for this movie, even though I get why they wanted to go that route
-I'm still on the fence about Spider-Man's identity getting revealed this early in his character's timeline. I wanted to see at least one more movie with his kid-like high school innocence before something this tide-turning got thrown into the mix. In fact, give us a couple more Spidey movies before you whip that one out.
-I still hope Kraven is the villain of the next Spidey movie

Regardless of my second-viewing thoughts, it was really fun to take my 4 year old daughter to her first MCU movie in the theater. I thought about taking her to Endgame, but ultimately said no due to its run-time. While it was obviously a little confusing for her at parts, she ended up loving Far From Home. I'd still say that Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse seems to be her favorite Spidey movie though. She absolutely LOVES that movie, and thinks Spider-Ham is the funniest and best character ever to grace a movie.

Reactions: State43

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Its actually pretty confusing as of this moment. With this Thor 4 announcement movie, that means there is BOTH a Guardians 3 (James Gunn is back to direct) and now a Thor 4 in the pipeline. Based on the ending of Endgame, one would think that it would go Guardians 3 first with Thor being a part of the gang in that, then followed by Thor 4. However, beings how James Gunn has to make Suicide Squad 2 first before he can even get to Guardians, that would really push Thor 4 really far down the line, which I'm not sure makes sense either. With Taika dropping Akira, it sounds sooner than later for a Thor 4. Regardless, we likely will know more soon enough by Saturday of Comic Con.

As for the next big overarching bad, I wouldn't be so certain that villain will be a cosmic one. There has been a lot of rumors that Normal Osborne will be that guy. Again, I think we may learn more on this front come Saturday.
I didn’t mean to say the next cosmic villain would be “the villain” of the movie, but rather it would introduce us to the new puppet master of sorts. Who the long game villain down the line will ultimately be.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

People are wondering if he'll still be Thor Lewbowski.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
So, I saw Spider-Man: Far From Home for a second time last night with my daughter (this was her first seeing in a theater) and I thought it might be worth posting a few spoilery thoughts after a second viewing:

-While I thought I would like Far From Home more after a second viewing, I was actually surprised to say this wasn't really the case. It stayed about the same for me as a lower mid-tier MCU movie for me.
-Any scene Happy Hogan was a part of were the best scenes of the movie. I thought he was kind of a jerk in Far From Home, yet I loved him in this movie.
-I've come to the final consensus that I simply just don't love the character of Mysterio period. I didn't like him in the comics or the cartoons, and I didn't love him in this. I've boiled it down to the fact that I both don't like how all his powers are fake and illusions and I also don't love his motivations for why he does what he does. Even in this movie, I felt like they had to take some pretty big jumps in motivations.
-The mind-trippy visuals, which I know many people loved just don't do anything for me. Focusing too heavy on that stuff was a lot of why I didn't love Doctor Strange, and its also why I think Inception is overrated.
-Spider-Man ultimately battling a bunch of drones in the final scene wasn't the final battle I was hoping for even though it was inevitable based on Mysterio's actual powers
-Regardless of my thoughts on Mysterio as a character, Jake Gyllenhaal in the role was great.
-The bus scene didn't work as good the second time
-I still don't love the trekking around Europe setting for this movie, even though I get why they wanted to go that route
-I'm still on the fence about Spider-Man's identity getting revealed this early in his character's timeline. I wanted to see at least one more movie with his kid-like high school innocence before something this tide-turning got thrown into the mix. In fact, give us a couple more Spidey movies before you whip that one out.
-I still hope Kraven is the villain of the next Spidey movie

Regardless of my second-viewing thoughts, it was really fun to take my 4 year old daughter to her first MCU movie in the theater. I thought about taking her to Endgame, but ultimately said no due to its run-time. While it was obviously a little confusing for her at parts, she ended up loving Far From Home. I'd still say that Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse seems to be her favorite Spidey movie though. She absolutely LOVES that movie, and thinks Spider-Ham is the funniest and best character ever to grace a movie.

I enjoyed FFH, but I find that I'm trying to talk myself into liking it more than I did. I can't put a finger on what didn't quite work for me, though. Every critical thing I come up with can be explained away.

In the end, I think Mysterio's appearance, immediate acceptance and 'villain turn' all felt choppy somehow. Also, I know the tech aspect had to be put in place to bridge the gap between Tony and Peter and then to Mysterio, but I prefer my Spider-Man using his abilities and mind more than gadgets. I'm ok with some fun modifications on his suit, but I don't want Iron Man Spider-Man.

As far as the identity reveal, I think it sorta fits with the normal cartoon I remember. Aunt May was occasionally put in danger because some villain knew Spidey's identity and used her against him. I think they would be smart to address it with one villain, but then squash it by having Spider-Man and Parker in the same room at the same time (or some way to show that they are definitely not the same person). I think they'd paint themselves into a boring plot corner by having the option of villains putting Aunt May in danger all the damn time.

Reactions: Triggermv

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Marvel Studios comic con panel begins at 7:15 PM on Saturday. There have not been any future MCU films announced yet, despite the fact they are currently filming Black Widow and multiple casting announcements for projects like The Eternals and Shang Chi. It’s likely that we’ll get formal announcement of Black Widow, along with the release date and we’ll probably see an appearance from some of the cast of The Eternals.

Any other guesses or things you hope to see? An appearance by James Gunn would bring the house down.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Again last derail here, but the absurdity of anime is a big part of the appeal for a lot of fans. I mean you take that out, you've taken out the appeal for me. Berserk for example - I want my Guts to have a huge ass sword and be cutting people in half taking out monsters as the Black Swordsman. That movie would be the most violent movie ever created if it was done with any sort of nod to the source material. Without that ridiculous over the top violence it's just another rando fantasy story. Just doesn't really work.
I was thinking of the comedic absurdity. I agree with what you said.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Marvel Studios currently presenting in Hall H at SDCC.

The Eternals has been formally announced and will be in theaters November 6, 2020

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
3 Marvel movies in 2020 and 7(!) in 2021

Edit: not all of these are theatrical films, as the Disney+ series will be under the MCU/Marvel Studios umbrella too.

Last edited: