Minnesota Golf Courses - Best Bang for Your Buck

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I am a big golf fan, and have played a good amount of the courses around the 20-30 minute radius around the Twin Cities. But I am regularly running into completely booked up courses (for the mornings) and it's getting a bit annoying.

To my Minnesota residents (or non residents who have played) what are some of your favorite courses a bit of a ways outside the city? I'm happy to drive up to 45 minutes probably with no question.

Some of my favorites I've played the past couple years that are in this range.

Legends Club - Prior Lake
Loggers Trail - Stillwater
Rush Creek - Maple Grove

Price isn't too much of a worry, but I'd rather not spend close to $100 for a course that can be hit or miss, or is not as good as advertised. And of course I'm always a fan of any places that have a cheap rate that are a diamond in the rough. Any recommendations are helpful!

Last edited:

DreamyFred21

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2012
Grimes
Some reasonably priced courses that I recommend:
The Links at Northfork - Ramsey, MN ($40-$50)
Riverwood National - Otsego, MN ($40-$50)
Pioneer Creek - Maple Plain, MN ($35-$45)
Edinburgh - Brooklyn Park, MN ($40-$55)
The Ridges at Sand Creek - Jordan, MN ($40-$50)

Those are probably the five courses I rotate between the most. All of them are generally in pretty solid shape and offer different challenges. Found you end up with much better course conditions, pace of place, and prices if you drive outside the city a little. The St. Paul and Minneapolis public courses get way overplayed and are overpriced for what you get, IMO. Rush Creek is a beauty, but price is a little steep for me to play out there often. Hope you find some you like!

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Some reasonably priced courses that I recommend:
The Links at Northfork - Ramsey, MN ($40-$50)
Riverwood National - Otsego, MN ($40-$50)
Pioneer Creek - Maple Plain, MN ($35-$45)
Edinburgh - Brooklyn Park, MN ($40-$55)
The Ridges at Sand Creek - Jordan, MN ($40-$50)

Those are probably the five courses I rotate between the most. All of them are generally in pretty solid shape and offer different challenges. Found you end up with much better course conditions, pace of place, and prices if you drive outside the city a little. The St. Paul and Minneapolis public courses get way overplayed and are overpriced for what you get, IMO. Rush Creek is a beauty, but price is a little steep for me to play out there often. Hope you find some you like!
Thanks for the options! I have been trying to get out to Edinburgh for a while now, and I've only heard good things about the Links. But doing a quick search those all look like nice places, with good reviews. And almost all northwest of the metro, which is great for my location in Minneapolis.

Yeah, Rush Creek I've played once where I paid, and once that was on a customer. Really like that track, but can't play it a lot.

Have you ever played Wild Marsh? I had a co-worker that used to live in Mounds and he swore by that course. lol

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
These are at the higher-priced end, with Rush Creek being the highest I've played - it was in great shape when I played on business a few weeks ago. Still, pricey. Legends is also great.

My two favorites are actually Chaska Town Course and The Meadows. They're not cheap but are a little < Rush Creek (~$90-$100 range). Stoneridge - right off I-94 in Stillwater area - is excellent as well.

It's been a long time since I played Wild Marsh, which was mentioned - was a great value the last time I played: 15 years ago. I've also heard Baker National is an excellent value, but it evidently took it really hard this winter and was in rough shape when I tried to play there in late May.

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
If you could sneak away for a weekend the best, most beautiful courses are around the Brainerd area. well worth the extra time/money for a golf-centric trip.
Played a few courses up there as well as one in Biwabik (The Quarry), and they are all beautiful. Every time I've played the Brainerd area ones is in the dead of summer and the bugs are out in full force so it takes away from the enjoyment a bit, but still beautiful and really well kept courses.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
These are at the higher-priced end, with Rush Creek being the highest I've played - it was in great shape when I played on business a few weeks ago. Still, pricey. Legends is also great.

My two favorites are actually Chaska Town Course and The Meadows. They're not cheap but are a little < Rush Creek (~$90-$100 range). Stoneridge - right off I-94 in Stillwater area - is excellent as well.

It's been a long time since I played Wild Marsh, which was mentioned - was a great value the last time I played: 15 years ago. I've also heard Baker National is an excellent value, but it evidently took it really hard this winter and was in rough shape when I tried to play there in late May.
Yeah, the ones I mentioned are a bit on the higher end, but that is to give an idea I'd be willing to pay it..if it is worth it (which I felt all of those certainly were). I obviously am open to all of the cheaper places, I just like to get some reassurance they are worth it before driving out there.

Stillwater has a lot of fun courses as well. All over the spectrum of difficult, also.

I believe my buddy and I are going to play Tanners Brook in Forest Lake tomorrow because he found a deal on GolfNow, but I'll certainly keep all of these in mind as the summer moves along!

Edit: played Chaska Town Course last summer. The buddy I am playing with tomorrow grew up there and always talked about how great it was and I never really gave it a second thought, then one day he just booked a tee time and forced us to join lol, very glad I did. Very nice track. Lots of quality courses down in that area too

Last edited: