I forgot that Cyclonefanatic = Hawkeye Nation

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Are you guys serious??? Like really?

I mean, our team played a horrible game yesterday. There was a lot going on. I think it's fair to say that the players and coaching staff were not prepared for the game. It is kind of hard when a key guy leaves the team just 2 days before a game.

I am honestly ashamed of so many of you that are just giving up on the team and saying this season is over, pointless and all of that. I don't see what's wrong with cheering the guys on.

If you want the program to be good, you have to support the team. If you don't, then it will never happen. If you're seriously considering not going to games for this season, or are ready to check out, then I'm sorry but turn in your Cyclone-fan card.

I have a feeling a lot of you guys never competed in sports. I didn't at the NCAA level, but with guys at this age, you need to support the team. There is so much more to the game thans wins and losses. Yes as fans we all like wins and hate losses, but I think most of you have NO IDEA what it means to compete and do so at a high level. When a program is in turmoil, we gotta cheer hard!

I go through this with so many about the bball team as well. There is improvement; you have to actually watch the games not read the box scores.

We had a setback, and it was dissapointing, but it's time to move on. If we can play close to Kansas, I don't see why we couldn't play close to Nebraska, A&M, K-State, and Colorado and perhaps win some of these games.

I'm just real dissapointed with a lot of these "fans". Giving up on the teams during rough times doesn't make you a fan. It makes you a loser.

Remember, recruits are visiting campus and all of that. If you REALLY want the program to improve, cheer on the team, root hard, perhaps we'll win some unexpected games. Let's show our team, along with visiting teams, visiting fans, and recruits what Cyclone Country is all about.

If ISU is going to be successful, it's going to start with the fans!

Cyclones78227

Oct 3, 2008
San Antonio. Tx

I mean, our team played a horrible game yesterday. There was a lot going on. I think it's fair to say that the players and coaching staff were not prepared for the game. It is kind of hard when a key guy leaves the team just 2 days before a game.

I am honestly ashamed of so many of you that are just giving up on the team and saying this season is over, pointless and all of that. I don't see what's wrong with cheering the guys on.

If you want the program to be good, you have to support the team. If you don't, then it will never happen. If you're seriously considering not going to games for this season, or are ready to check out, then I'm sorry but turn in your Cyclone-fan card.

I have a feeling a lot of you guys never competed in sports. I didn't at the NCAA level, but with guys at this age, you need to support the team. There is so much more to the game thans wins and losses. Yes as fans we all like wins and hate losses, but I think most of you have NO IDEA what it means to compete and do so at a high level. When a program is in turmoil, we gotta cheer hard!

I go through this with so many about the bball team as well. There is improvement; you have to actually watch the games not read the box scores.

We had a setback, and it was dissapointing, but it's time to move on. If we can play close to Kansas, I don't see why we couldn't play close to Nebraska, A&M, K-State, and Colorado and perhaps win some of these games.

I'm just real dissapointed with a lot of these "fans". Giving up on the teams during rough times doesn't make you a fan. It makes you a loser.

Remember, recruits are visiting campus and all of that. If you REALLY want the program to improve, cheer on the team, root hard, perhaps we'll win some unexpected games. Let's show our team, along with visiting teams, visiting fans, and recruits what Cyclone Country is all about.

What he said.

Darn fine job out of you sir.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Good grief man, we just got blown out by the perrenial bottom feeder of the Big 12!! A 4 touchdown loss only a week after taking Kansas down to the wire.

I think its OK to show some frustration, we're only 24 hours removed from quite possibly the lowest point of this coaching staff's era.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Don't worry my friend. It's just a frustration mechanism. Most of the people here will be at the Nebraska game (albeit 5 minutes into the 1st quarter). Unfortunately for the more casual fan, that may not be the case. That is what Jamie Pollard has to worry about.

Reactions: MontyBurns

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Its frustration from a lot of us. I hate to lose and that comes from competing in sports. I know there are those that didnt play sports here but some of us did are we are still upset. We as fans have gave a lot to ISU and have saw very little winning the past few years. We are frustrated. I'm getting tierd of the wait until next year, we have been doing that since 2002 in FB. Its not that our team lost its the way they lost.

Reactions: Tornado man

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Good grief man, we just got blown out by the perrenial bottom feeder of the Big 12!! A 4 touchdown loss only a week after taking Kansas down to the wire.

I think its OK to show some frustration, we're only 24 hours removed from quite possibly the lowest point of this coaching staff's era.

I guess what he is saying is....

What good does it do to rehash all the same things we have known for the last 2 years?

Just enjoy what you can this year.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Um, no. More post-loss fan bashing at it's finest.

Some of our fans are going off the deep end - but our team continues to find a way to lose football games and last night - looked completely disinterested in playing football. Fans have a right to be upset about it. I know I am.

To date, this season has been a vast disappointment. We should have started 5-0.

- Scoring just 3 points via 6 trips inside the Iowa 30? Puh-lease.
- One of the worst halves of football I've seen against UNLV in that first half. Nice comeback, just not enough.
- Up big early on a ranked team at home, then give the game away. I've seen that movie before (See ISU vs KSU 1999). No excuse for that BS.

And then we go down in what is our first beating of the season to Baylor. Now, I've been saying Baylor is better than most people think - but they're not that good. We certainly made them look the part though.

Our play at times has been impressive. At others, downright pathetic (and I'm sugarcoating it here). Our team lacks discipline...both to not commit dumb penalties (that FG drive was just moronic and another PF penalty on punt? Gah!) but to maintain a responsibility on each and ever play. IMO, we lack real leadership. I don't really see a sense of urgency from this team, a will to win. Our dumb mistakes can no longer rationally/intelligently be explained away with the "aggressive" excuse. We can be aggressive and not be dumb at the same time. Many teams do it. Maybe ours should give it a shot.

It's very concerning. We have a lot of talent, albeit young, we have talent. Clearly we can compete when we want to - sad thing is - we have yet to want it for a full football game.

I put equal "blame" on both the players and coaches. This needs to get figured out. At this point, I feel we have slightly regressed in many areas from where we were near the end of the '07 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: superdorf

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007

really? I'm gonna say the players are who are going to make us successful. Sure a great fan base is wonderful, but I go to plenty of ISU bball and fball games and I've never heard our fans not support the team or turn against them. Fans don't go out and play the games, the players do and the coaches prepare them for the game...don't even begin to blame the fans.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008

And to get to that next level, we have to win these guys over. And while i am at a loss for words right now, i'll be there on Sat bright and early (maybe a little earlier to get some more liquid courage to watch) ready to cheer. I have faith and will never turn in my fan card although i wanted to at points. I am sure the guys will get it together and put in a better all-around performance Saturday.
So stop the whining and man-up and be a fan to the team you seem to love enough to spend extra-time on a message board to express your joy or disapproval of. Not calling you out just trying to say dont give up.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Its frustration from a lot of us. I hate to lose and that comes from competing in sports. I know there are those that didnt play sports here but some of us did are we are still upset. We as fans have gave a lot to ISU and have saw very little winning the past few years. We are frustrated. I'm getting tierd of the wait until next year, we have been doing that since 2002 in FB. Its not that our team lost its the way they lost.

That is well-put, kingcy. Rep for you!
Those of us alarmed at the downturn this season are still going to show up, and then dutifully pay our NCC dues. It's the marginal fan, who may grow apathetic, that Jamie has to worry about losing.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Some of our fans are going off the deep end - but our team continues to find a way to lose football games and last night - looked completely disinterested in playing football. Fans have a right to be upset about it. I know I am.

To date, this season has been a vast disappointment. We should have started 5-0.

- One of the worst halves of football I've seen against UNLV in that first half. Nice comeback, just not enough.
- Up big early on a ranked team at home, then give the game away. I've seen that movie before (See ISU vs KSU 1999). No excuse for that BS.

And then we go down in what is our first beating of the season to Baylor. Now, I've been saying Baylor is better than most people think - but they're not that good. We certainly made them look the part though.

Our play at times has been impressive. At others, downright pathetic (and I'm sugarcoating it here). Our team lacks discipline...both to not commit dumb penalties (that FG drive was just moronic and another PF penalty on punt? Gah!) but to maintain a responsibility on each and ever play. IMO, we lack real leadership. I don't really see a sense of urgency from this team, a will to win. Our dumb mistakes can no longer rationally/intelligently be explained away with the "aggressive" excuse. We can be aggressive and not be dumb at the same time. Many teams do it. Maybe ours should give it a shot.

It's very concerning. We have a lot of talent, albeit young, we have talent. Clearly we can compete when we want to - sad thing is - we have yet to want it for a full football game.

I put equal "blame" on both the players and coaches. This needs to get figured out. At this point, I feel we have slightly regressed in many areas from where we were near the end of the '07 season.

Well put

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Been awhile...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We still struggle to get 300 yards in offense. Hey this is Big 12 football and we need to be much better to compete. Even Kansas State won.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I competed at the D1 level, not at ISU.... I am a die-hard fan of ISU and have been my whole life. I thought that the loss to Kent State last year was the low of the lows. I got that same feeling watching the Baylor game. Its not time for excuses, its time for a gut check and some coaching!

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
really? I'm gonna say the players are who are going to make us successful. Sure a great fan base is wonderful, but I go to plenty of ISU bball and fball games and I've never heard our fans not support the team or turn against them. Fans don't go out and play the games, the players do and the coaches prepare them for the game...don't even begin to blame the fans.

1) I was talking about some of the fans on this site as far as fans turning on the team. I'm hearing all this Chizik should be fired, AA should be benched bs. I've heard almost every year on how our coach should be fired (McCarney and Chizik) and how they won't go to the games, support the team, etc.

2) You are right the fans do not play the games. But guess what? No one wants to play for a school with a complete crap fanbase. If you have a complete crap fanbase, you are going to get complete crap, selfish players who don't care about fanbases, traditions, the schools, and all of that. That's the problem EIU is having.

Can you think of any college teams that are relavent year in and year out that has a crappy fan experience?

If you don't realize how the fans boost the program, you don't get how college athletics work. How do you think the money comes in to get the recruits and pay the coaching staff?

How do you think a recruit decides to go to ISU as opposed to another school? Yes, playing time and the coaches are probably the biggest reason, but the gameday experience they see or hear about is what puts us over the top when they are trying to decide between us and other schools. We've even heard guys that signed with us saying they wanted to come here because of the fan support.

3) I have NOT blaming the fans for the teams not being good. What I am saying is that if enough people stop being fans, and stop supporting the team, we will NEVER be good.

I'd rather cheer hard for my team and trust the coaching staff, as opposed to giving up and wishing that "magic" will somehow bring recruits in and make us better!

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
2) You are right the fans do not play the games. But guess what? No one wants to play for a school with a complete crap fanbase. If you have a complete crap fanbase, you are going to get complete crap, selfish players who don't care about fanbases, traditions, the schools, and all of that. That's the problem EIU is having.

So are you saying we have a complete crap fanbase? I guess I understand you are frustrated...but to be upset at fans is ridiculous...

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless

Dude, do you work for the state or fed government or possibly in a union. I show up for work and perfrom like that and I'm no longer employed. Enough is enough, time for the team to start giving something back to the fans. I have given enough already, No excuses.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I am seroius and I expect the team to have fewer penalties and to play 60 minutes.

I believe compeition at each position is needed to remind everyone to play hard and with vigor.

I know this fanbase would not mind a .500 team.

Yet to probably see a 3 win team two years in a row when you play 12 games does not bode well for recruiting. To recruit the people you need, you better win half the games.

Again, the Baylor team does not have that great of overall recruiting but their team looked sharp, well coached, and driven. Looks like Briles has done his job.

We need to improve NOW.

Last edited:

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
So are you saying we have a complete crap fanbase? I guess I understand you are frustrated...but to be upset at fans is ridiculous...

I am surprised that you're not getting what I'm saying. I'll try to break it down better:

-Our fanbase is fine thus far
- I've spent the evening ready some other threads. The attitudes that many are having is basically giving up on the team.
- It's the above attitude that will lead to having a crap fanbase.
- I am NOT blaming or faulting our fans for what has happened thus far.
- If fans start bailing on the team, we won't improve.
- Our fans have 2 choices: continue to support the team and be part of something big, OR bail and allow our program to remain how it is right now: irrelevant in the conference
- Seems kinda pointless to bail on these guys. They are good people. I'm proud of the student athletes we have on this team. The character is much better than players in previous years

Going back full circle, I'm saying that fans bailing on a team is a slippery path. So many are overreacting and I hope they are all talk. A school like ours NEEDs a supportive fanbase to get over the hump......

Get what I'm saying?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron