Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
After-credits scene spoiler
this is explained by the fact that it wasn't actually Nick Fury there the entire time

Yeah, I guess I can buy that. I personally wasn't a fan of that after-credit scene, so I sorta dismissed the significance it played in my complaint.

Disclaimer - In general, I'm not a huge fan of the shape-shifting plot device (Mystique and Morph in X-Men, The Skrulls, Arya in GOT) I feel like it often leads to some lazy and overly convenient outs.

Last edited:

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
So your one gripe is actually explained. After-credits scene spoiler
this is explained by the fact that it wasn't actually Nick Fury there the entire time. It was the skrull, Talos, filling in for him

It was this exact reason I was so suspicious of this Nick Fury/Maria Hill during the course of the movie. I knew going in that Mysterio is often known for lying and creating illusions, but after awhile I started to consider "OK, maybe this Mysterio is ACTUALLY from an alternate reality? If so, I think this Nick Fury is from the same reality and is in cahoots with Mysterio."

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I thought the movie was pretty good overall. I thought it was much better post-twist than it was pre-twist, but knowing the character of Mysterio, I could see it coming. The best scenes were the reality-bending fight sequences near the end.

Worst scene was probably that drone strike scene on the bus when Peter is first learning to use E.D.I.T.H. How that scene ever made it past test audiences is beyond me.

Overall, I felt that the strong performances by the entire cast helped to buoy a terribly written story. They leaned a little too hard on Tony Stark's absence and whether or not Peter Parker/Spider-man should take up the mantle. There's other superheroes that survived Endgame.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
For those of you who know me, you know there might be nothing I love more than ranking stuff. So, with that said, now that I've posted my usual updated MCU rankings to include Spider-Man: Far From Home, I figure we would all be remiss if we didn't jump in and throw up all our own Spider-Man movie rankings. So, to kick things off, here are mine:

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  2. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  3. Spider-Man 2
  4. Spider-Man
  5. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  6. The Amazing Spider-Man
  7. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
  8. Spider-Man 3
Honestly, my 1-3 are all pretty much interchangeable to some extent as well as 4-6 too in their own little grouping. Then, 7-8 are both a LONG ways down there in there own garbage pile category. Again, please critique mine and post your own. I want to see them.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
For those of you who know me, you know there might be nothing I love more than ranking stuff. So, with that said, now that I've posted my usual updated MCU rankings to include Spider-Man: Far From Home, I figure we would all be remiss if we didn't jump in and throw up all our own Spider-Man movie rankings. So, to kick things off, here are mine:

3. Spider-Man 2
  4. Spider-Man
  8. Spider-Man 3
Honestly, my 1-3 are all pretty much interchangeable to some extent as well as 4-6 too in their own little grouping. Then, 7-8 are both a LONG ways down there in there own garbage pile category. Again, please critique mine and post your own. I want to see them.

Spider-Man 2 was just on FX last evening, holds up well even at age 15.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

3. Spider-Man 2
  4. Spider-Man
  8. Spider-Man 3

I've still never watched either Amazing Spider-Man movie, but I feel like they'd have to suck pretty bad to move Spider-Man 3 from it's last place spot on my list. I think we have pretty similar rankings. I'd like to put FFH up above the original two, but I think nostalgia is getting in the way.

I'm curious to see how big of a roll Spidey is going to be in the next phase and whether they can balance the increased responsibility with the humor normally associated with him.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I've still never watched either Amazing Spider-Man movie, but I feel like they'd have to suck pretty bad to move Spider-Man 3 from it's last place spot on my list. I think we have pretty similar rankings. I'd like to put FFH up above the original two, but I think nostalgia is getting in the way.

I'm curious to see how big of a roll Spidey is going to be in the next phase and whether they can balance the increased responsibility with the humor normally associated with him.

I actually really enjoy the first Amazing Spider-Man movie, but I'd call the second one an equivalent-type drop-off that we saw with Spider-Man 3. Honestly, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is pretty much equally as bad as Spider-Man 3, as hard as that might be for you to believe. In fact, Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Batman vs Superman hold the titles for my biggest superhero movie disappointments in my lifetime after walking out of the theater. Directly comparing Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, TASM2 probably has better highs, but lower lows than Spider-Man 3, so Spider-Man 3 is probably just more consistently bad. However, if you average out the movies, they are pretty comparable. I only ranked TASM2 higher because it had a few higher highs, particularly the Gwen Stacey stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yeah, honestly I like Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone a lot, but having them play high school kids was just not great. Holland and Zendaya are both in their early 20s but look like they are 16.

I never saw Spider Man 3, because I heard how bad it was, and quite frankly I love Spider Man and I don't want to see a crap version of it.

My list is really similar except I like the new Spider-Man movies more than the Raimi ones. I just think the casting is better and they are a lot less cheesy, (especially the first one).

And I'll say it again, Spider-Verse is just astoundingly good. My youngest loves it. We watch it probably every day for a little bit. There is just so much in it with the comics panels/inner monologue boxes, and some other stuff that I think just put it in the lead from just a pure enjoyment perspective.
  3. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  4. Spider-Man 2
  5. Spider-Man
  8. Spider-Man 3 (didn't see, not going to bother)

Spidey 3 has a handful of OK moments, and that's the nicest thing I can say about it. You're making the right call.
Saw a bit of it on TV last week. A couple minutes made me say, "Sure, that's OK, more made me say, "Yeah, leaving the rails here." Then I saw Peter heading to the restaurant that became the dance number. That's time to walk away.

I think my list would match this one exactly, too.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Yeah, honestly I like Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone a lot, but having them play high school kids was just not great. Holland and Zendaya are both in their early 20s but look like they are 16.

I never saw Spider Man 3, because I heard how bad it was, and quite frankly I love Spider Man and I don't want to see a crap version of it.

My list is really similar except I like the new Spider-Man movies more than the Raimi ones. I just think the casting is better and they are a lot less cheesy, (especially the first one).

And I'll say it again, Spider-Verse is just astoundingly good. My youngest loves it. We watch it probably every day for a little bit. There is just so much in it with the comics panels/inner monologue boxes, and some other stuff that I think just put it in the lead from just a pure enjoyment perspective.
  3. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  4. Spider-Man 2
  5. Spider-Man
  8. Spider-Man 3 (didn't see, not going to bother)

Haven't seen the Verse thing, so drop it off and that's my list.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I actually really enjoy the first Amazing Spider-Man movie, but I'd call the second one an equivalent-type drop-off that we saw with Spider-Man 3. Honestly, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is pretty much equally as bad as Spider-Man 3, as hard as that might be for you to believe. In fact, Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Batman vs Superman hold the titles for my biggest superhero movie disappointments in my lifetime after walking out of the theater. Directly comparing Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, TASM2 probably has better highs, but lower lows than Spider-Man 3, so Spider-Man 3 is probably just more consistently bad. However, if you average out the movies, they are pretty comparable. I only ranked TASM2 higher because it had a few higher highs, particularly the Gwen Stacey stuff.

Andrew Garfield was an awesome Spider-Man, but a terrible Peter Parker.

• Agree
Reactions: Rural and Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So, we've got interviews lately with both the Spider-Man: Far From Home director, as well as the screenwriters where they both say that they would love to do Kraven the Hunter as the villain for a 3rd Spider-Man movie. One of the screenwriters is even quoted as saying this: "It's also so tough because we're dealing with MCU and Sony with it all, and some office would be like, 'Well, you can't use that one.' Or what about this villain? 'Oh, well, Fox owns that villain.' But now that things have changed with Disney with Fox..."
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spid...llains-they-want-to-see-in-the-sequel-a169353

Then, you combine this with reports a week or so ago that Sony has been pushing Marvel Studios to get Venom into a 3rd Spider-Man movie:
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/spiderman-home-director-confident-spideyvenom-crossover-hit/
Now, is anyone else as nervous about these combined reports as I am??? Don't these sound eerily reminiscent of EXACTLY what happened with the big debacle that was Spider-Man 3, where director Sam Raimi DID NOT want to use Venom in his movie, yet did so because Sony producers forced him to. In fact, I still resent Amy Pascal and Avi Arad for doing that, and is where my dislike for those two started. I would HATE to see the exact same thing happen again. While I don't trust Sony further than I can throw them, I sure hope Marvel Studios wouldn't let this happen.

Personally, I've been aboard the Kraven train for the villain of the 3rd movie for a long time now. Even after seeing Far From Home, I think he just makes too much sense at this point, which is why I also think the Director and screenwriters want him. To me, I'm not necessarily opposed to Venom showing up at some point, but I'd prefer it happens further down the line when it makes more organic sense, particularly sometime after Venom 2. Is anyone else as nervous about seeing this stuff as I am?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.slashfilm.com/spider-man-contract/

Latest rumors are that there is a stipulation in the contract between Sony and Marvel Studios over the next Spider-Man movie where Sony could take full control away from Marvel Studios on Spider-Man's 3rd contracted movie with Tom Holland if the previous movies fail to clear the $1.0 billion mark. Spider-Man: Homecoming was close at $880 million worldwide. As for Far From Home, while final numbers aren't in yet, the fact that it is already at $589 million worldwide after only a week pretty much guarantees it will eventually clear the $1.0 million mark. So, it looks as of now like we are in the clear, but even if for some reason it doesn't, I have to hope that Sony isn't stupid enough to think that they could do any better on their own. At the same time, I've underestimated Sony's stupidity before.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
https://www.slashfilm.com/spider-man-contract/

Latest rumors are that there is a stipulation in the contract between Sony and Marvel Studios over the next Spider-Man movie where Sony could take full control away from Marvel Studios on Spider-Man's 3rd contracted movie with Tom Holland if the previous movies fail to clear the $1.0 billion mark. Spider-Man: Homecoming was close at $880 million worldwide. As for Far From Home, while final numbers aren't in yet, the fact that it is already at $589 million worldwide after only a week pretty much guarantees it will eventually clear the $1.0 million mark. So, it looks as of now like we are in the clear, but even if for some reason it doesn't, I have to hope that Sony isn't stupid enough to think that they could do any better on their own. At the same time, I've underestimated Sony's stupidity before.

Nothing says reasonable like a billion dollar threshold.
Reminds me of the clickbait headlines a while back that Endgame was underperforming expectations.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Man, what I wouldn't give to see this in the next Spider-Man film:

5rntsnutoh931.png

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I thought the movie was pretty good overall. I thought it was much better post-twist than it was pre-twist, but knowing the character of Mysterio, I could see it coming. The best scenes were the reality-bending fight sequences near the end.

Worst scene was probably that drone strike scene on the bus when Peter is first learning to use E.D.I.T.H. How that scene ever made it past test audiences is beyond me.

Overall, I felt that the strong performances by the entire cast helped to buoy a terribly written story. They leaned a little too hard on Tony Stark's absence and whether or not Peter Parker/Spider-man should take up the mantle. There's other superheroes that survived Endgame.

There were a couple of times when the problem was really forced, and the bus scene was one of them. Why couldn't he just tell E.D.I.T.H. what to do?

I didn't hate this movie but actually felt like it was the weakest of the recent Marvel movies I've seen (haven't seen them all) and it kind of felt like they're running on fumes.

Maybe some of the others will be better.

• Funny
Reactions: State43