ISU football...Big 12 doormat

hall4cy

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX
Unfortunately for all of us cyclone fans that have been drinking the college ISU kool-aid, this weekend was a real wake-up call for our fans. Isu is a bad football team right now. Yes, we played a close game to KU, but did we win? Yes, we came back and went to overtime against UNLV, but did we win? We were in the redzone 5-6 times against iowa, but did we score? Good teams find ways to win. ISU finds ways to lose. After watching Saturday's game, I finally admitted to myslef that we are indeed the Big 12 doormat once again. Baylor outplayed Iowa state in every facet of the game and my hats off to them for a great game plan and taking the win and not letting up at halftime.

This all being said, I think Iowa state has got alot of talent, and young talent at that. But until we get the mentality that we WILL win, and we will big when the opportunity presents itself, we will continue to be a woulda, coulda, shoulda, football team. It's really disheartening to see our team struggle as it is, but this is the time of year where we put excuses to the side, and we support the team, and look to the future. I still think it is a bright one, but this year is probably going to be more of the same thing that we have seen the last 3 weeks.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I think we all realize that we're not good. But the real question is, will we rally and improve, or will we always be like this?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
fixed that for ya.

You might not have noticed this but...the season isn't over yet. One game does not a season make. I still expect a good shot at wins the next two weeks, playing in Ames.

Two wins IS better than last year. I would call that a successful seaon when most people thought we would win 4 games.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I think we all realize that we're not good. But the real question is, will we rally and improve, or will we always be like this?

well we fired our coach who once and a while took us out of that position, so I hope we get out of this rut someday.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Looking at the talent Chizik has brought in, in essentially one and a half recruiting classes, the best that I have seen in thirty-odd years of watching ISU football, I'd have to say that this one is a "Well, duh." :biggrin:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I really think that the team suffered from Phil Bates sudden departure. Pretty shocking when a popular teammate just up and quits. Supposedly a team player who abandons his teammates. I think we suffered from some shell shock. We need to regroup and go on.:yes:

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Ohhh noooo we suck again!!!!!!!!!

Well.. Doom and Gloom time..

I'm jumping ship and becoming a Hawk fan... See you losers later

Loaded with sarcasm..... Things will get better... Don't stop believing.

jrcisu79

Nov 28, 2006
Marshalltown
I hate to admit it but we are far from winning conference games, light years. We got owned by Baylor....BAYLOR!!!.... I have a real hard time believing that their last coach left them with more talent than Mac left us. Yet last night they had better guys at every position, hands down, on both sides of the ball. Every game we see the same crap, absolutely no running game, no passing down the middle, hardly any shots deep, inept red zone offense all culminating in one big showing of SH**Y football. Don't get me wrong I know how to lose being a Clone, Raiders, and Cubs fan I've perfected it. I just get sick of schools that undergo what we did a year and a half ago and show some progress far sooner. I really wanted to wait until after a couple conference games before I made up my mind on this years team, but we'll be lucky to win one more game the way we have been playing. And with that off my chest I can't wait to tailgate on Saturday!!!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We got owned by Baylor....BAYLOR!!!.... I have a real hard time believing that their last coach left them with more talent than Mac left us. Yet last night they had better guys at every position, hands down, on both sides of the ball.
I just get sick of schools that undergo what we did a year and a half ago and show some progress far sooner.

My frustration as well. Oh, well, bring on the Huskers!

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I think before we all jump off the deep end we need to remember the history of our neighbors to the south.

Mizzou was horrible in the 80s. A blurb from the SI.com article I posted in the Big XII Forum:

Missouri did not rip out the OmniTurf for 10 years -- the era was 1985-94 -- and the Tigers did not have a winning record even once over those years. It was on the OmniTurf that Colorado beat Missouri in the now famous fifth-down game, when officials gave Colorado a fifth down to punch in the game-winning score.

In 10 years they didn't have a winning season...and a little over 10 years after that look where they are. We are in much better shape than that.

Plus, college football is a lot more balanced nowadays with the 85 scholarship limit. Back in those days they were competing with Nebraska's walk on program for players.

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
Looking at the talent Chizik has brought in, in essentially one and a half recruiting classes, the best that I have seen in thirty-odd years of watching ISU football, I'd have to say that this one is a "Well, duh." :biggrin:

Where is all of this talent you are seeing? Leonard Johnson looks to be pretty good. Sed Johnson and Darks look to have potential. None of the offensive line recruits have proven themselves to be more than just average at this point. Given time maybe a lot of these guys will prove themselves, but at this point, I don't agree with your assessment.

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
fixed that for ya.

You might not have noticed this but...the season isn't over yet. One game does not a season make. I still expect a good shot at wins the next two weeks, playing in Ames.

Very young? Hmmmm....not sure I agree with you on that either. They have a decent amount of experience on both sides of the ball. Leading receiver is senior. Best DE is a senior. One starting corner is a senior. Safety=junior. Other DE=junior. Linebackers=senior, junior and junior. All of their offensive lineman returned. Two of top three running backs are seniors. Punter is senior. And on and on. It is a myth to say this team is younger than any other Big 12 team.

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
I would say that to have a "successful" season we pretty much need to win out from here or give up only one game.

I really think if we win 2 more games it would be a successful season just basing it off how good the Big 12 is this year and how young our team is. No matter how bad we played against Baylor, we do have 2 winable games left: Texas A&M and Nebbie. Are we going to win, probably not but they are "winable". Also, K-State wouldn't be impossible, but not very likely:sad:

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
The marketing about this ISU team has worn off. This "new-look" football team has achieved nothing but a new level of mediocrity.

Unfortunately, I am locked in to a road game @ CU this season. But I after that I am sticking to the cheap seats and home games until they can start getting some W's. I am not being selfish or being a poor sport here. I can handle close losses and disappointments. I can't handle getting blown out by poor football teams. I've been an exceptional fan for an unexceptional football program for years, and now I am going to wait until I have tangible reasons for getting excited about this team in the form of wins before I return to expensive road-games, donations and merchandise.

This isn't sour grapes, simply the straw that broke the camels back.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
Come on....'we got more wins than last year so we're a success.' Good lord. What's the mantra going to be in two years when we go from winning 7-8 games to winning 4-5 games? 'Well, we have to remember that we replaced OSU, aTm, and Baylor with OU, Texas, and TTech.' Quit lowering expectations.

Six was the even water mark heading into this season. Five is palatable merely due to the fact that we 'hope' we are young. Four wins is a disaster that might be tough to come back from.