MBB non-conference schedule 2019-20 announced

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Even though there's a CF story on it I don't see a thread. Pretty good looking NC schedule IMHO. Should be interesting. SEC/Big 12 match TBD yet.

From Cyclones.com https://cyclones.com/news/2019/7/5/mens-basketball-mbb-non-con-schedule-release.aspx

image_handler.aspx

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, it seems really solid. I think all but 2 (MVSU and FL A&M) were top 200 teams last year.

Strange to see no Drake or UNI. But getting NIU, UMKC, and IPFW (eh, PFW!?, did they get a divorce?) all to Hilton does show the added flexibility. All very winnable games but not the cupcakes and NET killers of too many sub-250 teams.

DuneFan

Nov 7, 2015
Some questions...

Dec 4 "Kansas City". Is this an unannounced date or something? I don't know of any school to speak of in KC.

Nov 19 Southern Miss (Battle 4 Atlantis Campus Game) What is the purpose of this? If we and Southern Miss just happened to win games in just the right way, is it theoretically possible we could play them twice?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Kansas City = UMKC

They re-branded, like Nebraska-Omaha now wants to be called "Omaha."

Good post. I had missed the boat about UMKC's rebranding.

That type of thing has occurred several times thru the years (such as the IPFW to Purdue Fort Wayne example). Sometimes it's re-branding with initials instead of hyphenation.

Going way back, Nevada-Las Vegas to UNLV .. more recently, UW-Milwaukee to Milwakee; Central Florida to UCF. And so on. Also NC-Charlotte to Charlotte; Alabama-Birmingham to (F*****g) UAB;

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Might be one of the strongest non conferences I ever remember.
Florida A&M makes me laugh, as that was the first team I saw Iowa State play at Hilton. A real Johnny Orr Special! lol. Gotta give Johnny credit though, as he loaded the schedule in 1989-90 and 1990-91. The latter was particularly brutal. Unfortunately, he lost a couple of players (Mack and Baugh IIRC) which damaged both seasons.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/iowa-state/1991-schedule.html

Last edited:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Florida A&M makes me laugh, as that was the first team I saw Iowa State play at Hilton. A real Johnny Orr Special! lol. Gotta give Johnny credit though, as he loaded the schedule in 1989-90 and 1990-91. The latter was particularly brutal. Unfortunately, he lost a couple of players (Mack and Baugh IIRC) which damaged both seasons.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/iowa-state/1991-schedule.html

Damaged might be light, that's a top 5 team with them.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
My goodness that schedule is insane!
It was, and I went to the Home Games with student tickets! Either the Minnesota or the Michigan Game was on a winter storm night, and they invited everybody from the Upper Deck to come sit in the Lower Level - which made for a rowdy crowd. The Indiana game was awful, but it was fun seeing Bobby Knight at Hilton!

Reactions: Aclone and SC Cy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Pretty tough non con, especially for such a young team.

Has Iowa's non con schedule come out yet? Lately they've played one of the weakest non con's in the country.

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
Pretty tough non con, especially for such a young team.

Has Iowa's non con schedule come out yet? Lately they've played one of the weakest non con's in the country.

Still waiting on the prelim games for the LV Invite.

The B1G/ACC challenge is @Syracuse and the Gavitt Games is home against DePaul.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride