• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I really wanted to take my girls to spiderman so I took them to Endgame re-release for the $5 tickets. Now gotta find time before we go on vacation Saturday.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I'm super stoked for Spider-Man: Far From Home, especially seeing the super good reviews and even more so knowing that I'll actually be bringing my wife with me to this one. I've said before on here, but its a little rough trying to get her to go to superhero movies with me, so I stick to only trying to get her to go to ones that I'm pretty sure she will like. While she hasn't seen all of them, whether at theater or at home, she seems to like the first couple Captain America films (didn't like Civil War as much), Iron Man 1, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and both the Ant-Man movies best. It seems that any time the character count goes up of characters she doesn't know who they are, the more she loses, especially if they are somewhat confusing over-powered characters. In fact, I've yet to get her to watch an Avengers movie yet, and in general, she like the fun movies most, with the exception of simply really loving the character of Captain America. Oh yeah, the shorter the better too, which makes the team-up movies that much harder to get her to watch beings how they are usually longer. After the Batman vs Superman debacle of bringing her to that, I now really try to cherry-pick my efforts with her, knowing I'm likely one goof away from her saying no to all of them.

Does anyone else have a spouse or girlfriend they tango a dance with similar to myself? I'd love to hear your tactical moves as well.
My wife goes to more super hero movies than I do. I haven’t been to any DCU movie and she has been to a few. She has watched every MCU movie and watches all MCU and Arrowverse TV shows with me.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-spoilery Thoughts) So, I saw Spider-Man: Far From Home yesterday with my wife and I had a good time. While I liked the movie, I can't necessarily say that I loved it. Here are a few of my thoughts:

-I thought a lot of the Peter Parker stuff was better than the Spider-Man stuff
-Like in Homecoming, this MCU Spider-Man is quite a bit different than the Spider-Man I'm expecting, so the transition in my mind to this MCU one has been a bit jarring for me in both his solo outings, and takes a while for me to adjust
-To me, this movie is a better MCU world-building movie than it is necessarily a Spider-Man movie
-The Peter Parker and MJ relationship is awesome and one of the best parts in the movie
-I loved Jake Gyllenhal in the role of Mysterio, but had a few qualms about Mysterio's story arc in general
-The action wasn't my favorite in this movie as it got a bit too out there at times for me, particularly in the last battle scene
-Happy Hogan was great in this movie
-Tom Holland is both an amazing Peter Parker and an amazing Spider-Man
-The post-credit scenes were great, but there is one thing in one of them I'm not super stoked for
-This movie sets up the future of the MCU well, and at the same time, ties in well to its history with some fun callbacks

With all this said, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a slow adjuster to MCU Spider-Man verses my traditional Spider-Man in my mind, and I'm positive it affects my viewing pleasure on first viewing for these solo outings. I was the exact same way after Homecoming, but after time and repeat viewings, I've gone from just simply enjoying it to it being one of my all-time favorite top-shelf MCU movies. Therefore, now that I can adjust my expectations, I'm excited to see my thoughts on this movie after second viewing, as I can almost guarantee they will rise. Regardless, even if it rises for me, I'm guessing it still will not be as good as Homecoming for me. Ultimately, I just think I'm not the biggest Mysterio guy in general, which inevitably will hold it back for me to some extent.

Look for me to follow this up soon with my updated MCU rankings to include this movie. For fun, I'll even throw a ranking of all the Spider-Man movies as well.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Ok, Far From Home question:

My middle son hasn't seen End Game yet. What End Game spoilers outside of Iron Man's death should I prepare him for? He know's that Iron Man died in End Game.

Copley305

Apr 10, 2006
(Non-spoilery Thoughts) So, I saw Spider-Man: Far From Home yesterday with my wife and I had a good time. While I liked the movie, I can't necessarily say that I loved it. Here are a few of my thoughts:

-I thought a lot of the Peter Parker stuff was better than the Spider-Man stuff
-Like in Homecoming, this MCU Spider-Man is quite a bit different than the Spider-Man I'm expecting, so the transition in my mind to this MCU one has been a bit jarring for me in both his solo outings, and takes a while for me to adjust
-To me, this movie is a better MCU world-building movie than it is necessarily a Spider-Man movie
-The Peter Parker and MJ relationship is awesome and one of the best parts in the movie
-I loved Jake Gyllenhal in the role of Mysterio, but had a few qualms about Mysterio's story arc in general
-The action wasn't my favorite in this movie as it got a bit too out there at times for me, particularly in the last battle scene
-Happy Hogan was great in this movie
-Tom Holland is both an amazing Peter Parker and an amazing Spider-Man
-The post-credit scenes were great, but there is one thing in one of them I'm not super stoked for
-This movie sets up the future of the MCU well, and at the same time, ties in well to its history with some fun callbacks

With all this said, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a slow adjuster to MCU Spider-Man verses my traditional Spider-Man in my mind, and I'm positive it affects my viewing pleasure on first viewing for these solo outings. I was the exact same way after Homecoming, but after time and repeat viewings, I've gone from just simply enjoying it to it being one of my all-time favorite top-shelf MCU movies. Therefore, now that I can adjust my expectations, I'm excited to see my thoughts on this movie after second viewing, as I can almost guarantee they will rise. Regardless, even if it rises for me, I'm guessing it still will not be as good as Homecoming for me. Ultimately, I just think I'm not the biggest Mysterio guy in general, which inevitably will hold it back for me to some extent.

Look for me to follow this up soon with my updated MCU rankings to include this movie. For fun, I'll even throw a ranking of all the Spider-Man movies as well.

I saw it yesterday, too, and I was also not blown away. Was it good? Yes. Does it deserve to be a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes and thus one of the highest rated MCU movies? No.

My largest qualms were (1) the locales used throughout the movie (as far as MCU characters, Spider-Man's setting (New York) may be more closely tied to the character than any other MCU character, so not seeing him in that setting was weird), (2) Mysterio's genesis and arc, (3) how the battles played out, and (4) the end credits scenes.

I'm not sure there's been any MCU end credits scenes that have had as much of an impact on the MCU universe as these, and I'm not totally on-board yet.

Maybe a second showing will help, but I'm not as impressed with this movie as the majority of others, apparently. Oh well.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I saw it yesterday, too, and I was also not blown away. Was it good? Yes. Does it deserve to be a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes and thus one of the highest rated MCU movies? No.

My largest qualms were (1) the locales used throughout the movie (as far as MCU characters, Spider-Man's setting (New York) may be more closely tied to the character than any other MCU character, so not seeing him in that setting was weird), (2) Mysterio's genesis and arc, (3) how the battles played out, and (4) the end credits scenes.

I'm not sure there's been any MCU end credits scenes that have had as much of an impact on the MCU universe as these, and I'm not totally on-board yet.

Maybe a second showing will help, but I'm not as impressed with this movie as the majority of others, apparently. Oh well.

I totally agree with everything you just said. The locales point you brought up also is something I'm struggling with.

ThePUNisher96

Mar 14, 2019
I would rate Spider-man Homecoming as my favorite MCU movie. Michael Keaton as the Vulture was amazing and Tom Holland is awesome as Spider-man.

As I'm going to see Far From Home later tonight, the biggest question I have is: Is it a big let-down of a sequel from Homecoming or does it mostly hold its own?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I would rate Spider-man Homecoming as my favorite MCU movie. Michael Keaton as the Vulture was amazing and Tom Holland is awesome as Spider-man.

As I'm going to see Far From Home later tonight, the biggest question I have is: Is it a big let-down of a sequel from Homecoming or does it mostly hold its own?

While it isnt necessarily a top-tier MCU movie for me, I also wouldn't call it a letdown. It was still lots of fun and enjoyable. As for Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, absolutely those were letdowns.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
We went this afternoon - four thumbs up.

Got home and Andrew Garfield 's "Amazing Spiderman" is playing on FX.

It's from 2014 (just 5 years!) and what we got now is so much better.

The (now) 35 year old Andrew Garfield and 30 year old Emma Stone are playing high school kids.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Took the girls tonight, great movie, lots of fun. The two post scene credits were interesting.
are we to assume Hill and Fury were skrulls the whole time or just after endgame? Have to assume the latter as it wouldn’t make sense otherwise. Would love to know what direction they plan to go next

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
After posting my full review of Spider-Man: Far From Home, the following is my updated MCU rankings to include it:
  1. Avengers: Engame - The perfect culmination of 10 years of storytelling helped along by an amazing script, which gave fans everything they could have ever wanted and more
  2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Thought this movie had the best drama and best writing and story line of all the movies. Its action sequences were probably only second to Civil War as well.
  3. Marvel’s The Avengers – Iconic way to pull everything together with the best villain in the MCU. The final battle was so epic and unlike anything we had ever seen up until that point.
  4. Captain America: Civil War - Most fun movie, produced the best action sequences, had some of the best character moments, and showcased the best balancing act of so many characters. Biggest weakness was having a very good, but not amazing story.
  5. Avengers: Infinity War - Amazing put together culmination of all the movies and characters so far. While it suffered at times from that weight, maybe Marvel's best villain help to pull everything together.
  6. Marvel's Daredevil: Season 3 - Tremendous long-form storytelling with two amazing villains and the perfect crescendo ending. One of the best seasons of television in all of TV.
  7. Iron Man – Epic way to start the Universe with an unbelievable star for a headliner. Never got into the Iron Monger villain though.
  8. Guardians of the Galaxy – Best space epic since the original Star Wars movies. Also was probably the funniest movie of the MCU so far. Had a fairly generic villain though.
  9. Marvel's The Punisher: Season 1 - Very complete Marvel series with great pacing, great story, superb casting, and amazing acting. Ben Barnes as Billy Russo is now one of my favorite actors and one of the best Marvel villains. Very stand-alone series with not enough crossovers.
  10. Marvel's Daredevil: Season 2 - The introduction of Punisher in Season 2 was what truly made this season great and better than Season 2. Had a few pacing issues, but overall, the series improved all the characters within it from Season 1. Didn't love Elektra stuff.
  11. Spider-Man: Homecoming - Amazing casting on this movie with Tom Holland being the best Spider-Man yet. Also featured one of the greatest villains in the MCU in Michael Keaton, with one of the best scenes and best twists.
  12. Marvel's Agents of Shield: Season 5 - Overall good season wrapped up by spectacular ending, which tied together all the character arcs as good as any series out there. Sticking the landing is what ranks this season so high.
  13. Marvel’s Daredevil: Season 1 – Loved the street-level and darker tone of this show. Also contains probably the second best villain in the MCU. Being on Netflix is a great way to remove all the normal problems of making a TV show for network viewing.
  14. Ant-Man - Had super-low expectations, but walked away pleasantly surprised. Yet another weak villain, but contained some great comedy with some great actors. Paul Rudd won me over as a fan.
  15. Captain America: The First Avenger – Epic first-half of the movie with Cap’s origin story, but believe it or not, I found Red Skull a little underdeveloped. Loved the WWII time period aspect of this one.
  16. Black Panther - Very good movie with great characters, superb character development, a good story arc, and a top 3 Marvel villain. However, its biggest downfall is some very poor action and CGI work.
  17. Marvel's Agents of Shield: Season 4 - Awesome season with a very good two-part story line. Ghost Rider was movie quality all around (casting, acting, visuals, story) and fit perfectly into the story. Tons of fun with a lot of great emotion.
  18. Thor: Ragnarok - While I still find this movie to be a bit too much of a Taika Waititi film and not enough an MCU film, I've grown to like this movie more over time. Yes, it does go too comedy heavy, but I appreciate Marvel trying something new.
  19. Spider-Man: Far From Home - Fun unique movie with an amazing cast and lots of twists. While Mysterio was well-acted and fun, his start-end motivations fell short a bit.
  20. Ant-Man and the Wasp - Fun, hilarious smaller-stakes movie that is truly enjoyable to watch. However, the villains are forgettable and I found myself wishing for more emotional depth. Not quite as good as the first one.
  21. Marvel's Luke Cage: Season 2 - Awesome season with lots of emotional depth, great story-telling, superb multi-dimensional villains and improved action. It also greatly improved upon many so-so characters from S1.
  22. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Huge on the laughs, fun and heart, but a little mediocre on the story and substance. Also, went a little overboard at times where things got a bit campy. Characters were more fun than story.
  23. Marvel's Jessica Jones: Season 1- Series filled with great actors, great drama, and one of the best villains in the MCU (Kilgrave). Series suffered most from having 3-4 too many episodes, poor pacing, and not enough ties to the overall MCU.
  24. Iron Man 2 – Many will mock me, but I really enjoyed this movie and actually enjoyed it more than Iron Man 3. Make fun of me all you want, but I thought Whiplash was alright. I think this movie gets unfairly criticized.
  25. Doctor Strange - This was a Marvel formulaic origin story with some ground-breaking visual effects, a mediocre villain, an innovative ending, and some great characters. However, its biggest problem was probably how they introduced magic and the limiting weird rules around it.
  26. Avengers: Age of Ultron – Fun movie, but suffered from too much CGI action, too many characters, and too many storylines.
  27. Iron Man 3 – Just never really got into this one, and it probably had something to do with the big Mandarin villain twist. Also never really liked Killian either. Again, I surprisingly like Iron Man 2 better
  28. Thor– Don’t know what it is, but I just never got into this storyline or villains as much as the others. However, it is growing on me over time and I now like this more than Thor: The Dark World
  29. Captain Marvel - Decent origin story that fit well into MCU canon, but lacked the charisma, vulnerabilities, and charm I wanted from its main character
  30. Marvel's Luke Cage: Season 1 - Loved the music angle, Cottonmouth was great, loved the first 4 episodes. However, after the big twist, the second half of the season really went downhill.
  31. Thor: The Dark World – Criticize me if you will, but I actually liked this movie more than probably most, but after re-watching it recently, it did fall some in my rankings. I now have the origin Thor above it.
  32. Marvel's Runaways: Season 2 - Much improved from S1 with more action, more suspense, better budget, and better writing. Still suffers from some weak-link child actors.
  33. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 2 – Liked the less cheese and more serious tone than the first season. Also, loved the Inhuman’s storyline. Used to hate Skye, but now don’t mind her.
  34. Marvel’s Agent Carter – Loved the period timepiece aspect of this. Great show with good movie tie-ins.
  35. The Incredible Hulk – Good movie, but not great. Never liked Norton for the role or the look they gave Hulk, so I was glad when the switch was made and they remade the Hulk's appearance.
  36. Marvel's Iron Fist: Season 2 - Good. Much better story, acting, villains and fighting than S1, but still suffers greatly from Finn Jones being miscast as Iron Fist
  37. Marvel's Jessica Jones: Season 2 - Had some great character moments that draw you in as well as some decent pacing, but overall struggles mightily from being a really slow burn. Didn't love villain.
  38. Marvel's Cloak and Dagger: Season 1 - Slower at times, but also very good at times. Overall, this was a good season that just didn't stick the landing. Loved how they developed Cloak and Daggers powers.
  39. The Punisher: Season 2 - Amazing amped-up action sequences throughout (some of the best in the MCU), but weighed down by poor writing and dialogue of certain characters.
  40. Marvel's Runways: Season 1 - Had a good tone as well as some good character work throughout. However, the series lacked action, didn't have great action for what it had, and didn't really stick the landing.
  41. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 1 – Struggled hardcore in the first half-dozen episodes, but then finally picked up when Winter Soldier story line set in and the cheese started to fade. Overall, ended up really enjoying this.
  42. Marvel's Agents of Shield: Season 3 - Was VERY up and down throughout. There was times I really liked what they were doing, whereas other times I didn't. Overall, the series got a little tired, too many forced fistfights, and still too high on the cheese factor.
  43. Marvel's The Defenders: Season 1: Started out alright including a great hallway fight scene, but then everything fell apart from there, mostly dragged down by Iron Fist being Iron Fist, poor storytelling, and really poor dialogue.
  44. Marvel's Agent Carter: Season 2 - Great actors and characters combined with a poor stand-alone story, which lacked substance and true stakes to the MCU
  45. Marvel's Iron Fist: Season 1 - A combination of terrible casting/acting from Danny Rand, boring story, poor fight sequences, and too low a budget resulted in Marvel's first major dud for a TV show. Back half of season was slightly better than front half.
  46. Marvel's Inhumans - Garbage TV show all around. Bad acting, costumes, sets, directing, characterizations, special effects, and storytelling. This TV show was intentionally made fast and cheap as a money-grab and it shows.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just got back from FFH.

This really just hit all the right notes for me. Tom Holland is great, as usual, in his role, with just the right amount of awkwardness. Love how they do the relationship with him and MJ. And love how many parallels and callbacks there were to Iron Man.

The one thing that i didnt necessarily like was mysterio's original motivation. It kind of felt like that'd been done already.

That mid-credits scene though. Man, i want to know what happens right after that.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Saw FFH today as well. Holland is great! He just nails Peter and Spider-Man equally well. Also, there was a perfect amount of humor and awkwardness.

My one gripe:
Mysterio comes out of nowhere, yet the ever-suspicious Nick Fury doesn't possess or use basic facial recognition software to know his alternate dimension story is a bunch of ****? Seems like his vetting process has gotten a bit lax.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Saw FFH today as well. Holland is great! He just nails Peter and Spider-Man equally well. Also, there was a perfect amount of humor and awkwardness.

My one gripe:
Mysterio comes out of nowhere, yet the ever-suspicious Nick Fury doesn't possess or use basic facial recognition software to know his alternate dimension story is a bunch of ****? Seems like his vetting process has gotten a bit lax.

So your one gripe is actually explained. After-credits scene spoiler
this is explained by the fact that it wasn't actually Nick Fury there the entire time. It was the skrull, Talos, filling in for him

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron