MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Seems like a weird take after last season, losing game 163. Do I agree the season could be decided in much fewer than 162 games? Absolutely. But that's how many they play, and had the Cubs lost one less game last year, they likely would have had a different postseason fate.

And every game isn't game 163.
Good days, bad days, but every day isn't do or die.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
And every game isn't game 163.
Good days, bad days, but every day isn't do or die.
Last season, every game was literally the equivalent of game 163. Move just one L to the W column, and they win the division outright.

Granted, every season doesn't come down to 163. But I see no reason to believe the Central won't be hotly contested, perhaps by 3+ teams, and the Cubs have pissed away an opportunity to create some breathing room.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Last season, every game was literally the equivalent of game 163. Move just one L to the W column, and they win the division outright.

Granted, every season doesn't come down to 163. But I see no reason to believe the Central won't be hotly contested, perhaps by 3+ teams, and the Cubs have pissed away an opportunity to create some breathing room.

Of course you don't. You take every day with a paranoid intensity.
It's a long season. Feel free to take a breath.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Of course you don't. You take every day with a paranoid intensity.
It's a long season. Feel free to take a breath.
I'm not like that but I have to agree that a huge opportunity was wasted during this last month. If the Cubs were just barely above average for the month they would still be in first place. There is no way to put lipstick on the pig of getting passed for first place by a team that went .500 on the month.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I'm not like that but I have to agree that a huge opportunity was wasted during this last month. If the Cubs were just barely above average for the month they would still be in first place. There is no way to put lipstick on the pig of getting passed for first place by a team that went .500 on the month.

Sure, it was definitely wasted. Still, every game doesn't matter. That's just baseball.
It's way too early in the season to go that route.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
That's the first thing I thought of after the first two innings last night. You don't go from relatively impressive in two starts to getting smacked around like it's BP if they didn't see him tipping something on film. Makes too much sense given the context.

I think this team needs a shakeup, but I'm not sure where. I don't think it's pitching. The offense needs to be more consistent, but it's not like it's a weak 1-8 (or 1-7, 9 for Joe). If anything, I feel like Joe's message is just getting a bit stale. They aren't playing like a team that thinks "every game matters." I was hoping the bitter pill of last season would wake this team up and help them avoid these swoons. But a team that's one off the NL lead in errors doesn't fill me with confidence that they believe every game matters.

I don't feel like Joe will be around next year unless we win it all again, which seems very unlikely. I will always love Joe, but he needs an uber-young team with something to prove to be effective. His routine likely gets old and wears on more experienced players I would think.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I don't feel like Joe will be around next year unless we win it all again, which seems very unlikely. I will always love Joe, but he needs an uber-young team with something to prove to be effective. His routine likely gets old and wears on more experienced players I would think.
I think there's some truth to this. I'm sure his approach is refreshing at first, especially for players who have played for a hard ass. But I'm not sure how I can reconcile his general laissez faire approach to managing with the urgency that he was trying to inject into this season with his "every game matters" motto from spring training. They seem somewhat contradictory.

• Agree
Reactions: Walden4Prez

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Girardi would love the job.

• Winner
Reactions: HoustonClone

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I think there's some truth to this. I'm sure his approach is refreshing at first, especially for players who have played for a hard ass. But I'm not sure how I can reconcile his general laissez faire approach to managing with the urgency that he was trying to inject into this season with his "every game matters" motto from spring training. They seem somewhat contradictory.

Apples and oranges, but I think you could argue this is similar to why Fred’s laid back coaching worked in college but didn’t translate well to the pros.