***Official Y Cap City Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Less than 0% :). Nixon will be a solid on-ball defender and a senior that CSP will trust. TL hasn’t earned that same trust yet. Non-conference will tell us a lot about TL.

I would have to really start questioning Prohm if Lewis is starting. He’s a liability in defense and in the half court. He lacks a da focus.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
I’ve been most impressed with Tre Jackson, Marcedus Leech and Rasir Bolton so far.

I don’t know how much Tre and Marcedus will get to play as freshman but I’m really excited to see if they get the chance. I think they are two of our best shooters on the roster. I’d probably go Haliburton, Tre and Leech as the best 3 point shooters.

I've been saying Tre is going to be REALLY good for a long while... I'm glad it's looking like I'm more right than wrong there so far. Also can't wait for the entire fanbase to get on the train, haha.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Not sure why everyone is blasting Terrence. I've had high hopes for Nixon too but he has been objectively the worse ISU player in the CCL so far. Broken wrist or not, even if you're not reactionary 26-80 is awful in that league.

I'm really excited about Tre Jackson. Kids just a gamer. He plays really good on/off ball defense for a freshman and can obviously shoot it. He looks by far the most ready of our freshmen.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Is Leech as skinny as he looks in pictures? I worry about the physicality of big 12 ball with him

Yes but with the way he plays in CapCity he surely isn't scared of contact. That carries more weight in basketball sometimes than the number on the scale (no pun intended).

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm assuming the body is capable of that... but he has the worst rebounding rate on the team and he hits 3's at a 29% rate.
Not impressive. However, Nixon’s rebounding rate at CSU was worse, although Nixon did shoot 31.4% on 3Ps as a sophomore compared to 30.8% for Lewis.

I’m guessing the mentions of Nixon being a front-runner for playing time are accurate and criticisms of Terrance’s lack of focus justified, but Nixon’s numbers aren’t notably better for a guy that had a lot more minutes and usage to facilitate getting into a rhythm. Nixon’s grit/sweat/savvy must really do all the little things that don’t show up in the metrics, or the win-loss record. Great steal numbers, though.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I would have to really start questioning Prohm if Lewis is starting. He’s a liability in defense and in the half court. He lacks a da focus.

I fully expect Nixon to start, he transferred in with expectation he's be replacing Wigginton as the starter.

If Lewis performs in practice and ends up earning a starting spot at the 2/3 for Prentiss or Rasir (assuming he get's the waiver) then there is no reason to question Prohm or the staff. It means he improved and deserves the spot, Prohm won't play him if he didn't earn it. We should assume the past two years of Terrence will be what he will be as Junior with a defined role and future pros a head of him at the position.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I fully expect Nixon to start, he transferred in with expectation he's be replacing Wigginton as the starter.

If Lewis performs in practice and ends up earning a starting spot at the 2/3 for Prentiss or Rasir (assuming he get's the waiver) then there is no reason to question Prohm or the staff. It means he improved and deserves the spot, Prohm won't play him if he didn't earn it. We should assume the past two years of Terrence will be what he will be as Junior with a defined role and future pros a head of him at the position.
I completely agree with this. We definitely should not assume Lewis is still going to be where he was as an underclassman, especially with the load of talent he had in front of him last year. However, he's also not a lock to be great just because those guys are gone and he's now older. I hope that he lives up to his potential because his development could mean we could be very good. I think Nixon being a 5th year senior and a pretty good one at that sort of solidifies him to be a starter, but if Lewis pushes him out of that spot somehow, that's good for the team. I think either way we're in a solid spot.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Not impressive. However, Nixon’s rebounding rate at CSU was worse, although Nixon did shoot 31.4% on 3Ps as a sophomore compared to 30.8% for Lewis.

I’m guessing the mentions of Nixon being a front-runner for playing time are accurate and criticisms of Terrance’s lack of focus justified, but Nixon’s numbers aren’t notably better for a guy that had a lot more minutes and usage to facilitate getting into a rhythm. Nixon’s grit/sweat/savvy must really do all the little things that don’t show up in the metrics, or the win-loss record. Great steal numbers, though.

When you combine charges taken and steals, he creates a lot of extra possessions. We didn't have anyone last season willing to stay in front of their man, let alone take a charge.

Bubba Hubba

Dec 19, 2007
I'd also argue that Leech could be that guy. Skinny like Haliburton was and seems to he able to score from anywhere...and he's not even 100% healthy yet.

Agreed. I'm more inclined to pick Jackson but it could be Leech.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Based on last night's CCL scoring, we should average over 240 points even without Bolton. :D And TH should take it even higher. No need for defense this year....:rolleyes:

Reactions: mj4cy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
When you combine charges taken and steals, he creates a lot of extra possessions. We didn't have anyone last season willing to stay in front of their man, let alone take a charge.
And when you take into account mistimed gambling on steals and blocking fouls the net impact results in modest DBPM and DRtg numbers? Even on poor teams the latter is generally favorable to guys that make possession-ending plays.

We certainly need guys that will commit to playing team defense and that can handle, which more aptly describes what we’ve seen of Nixon than Lewis. But if one is using TL’s stats like 3P shooting and rebounding rate as a standard of insufficient play, the difference between Lewis and Nixon is not that large imo.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I hope our guards this year are team-first, and not NBA-first players. Rebounds, assists, taking charges, winning 50-50 balls, team defense - CSP should consider these intangibles when deciding playing time. He might have done that last year too, because LW and THT seemed to have some playing time adjustments.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I was reminded how good Solomon Young is at interior defense. Even in the summer league his defense made a huge impact in their game. He pretty much shut down Issa Samake, the incoming Drake freshman who had looked pretty good in previous weeks. Had a few blocks on Lewis and Javan Johnson as well. I think him and Tre Jackson have given noticeable effort on the defensive end compared to what you normally see in that league. Both of them anticipate plays and are consistently in the right spot.