2019 Big 12 Win Predictions

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...orite-again-but-can-texas-leapfrog-its-rival/

Iowa State:
8 wins: The Cyclones are a trendy pick to make the Big 12 Championship Game (12-1 odds to win it, per FanDuel). Personally, I'd take those odds if you're looking for a dark horse. This team is well-coached, has an excellent quarterback in Brock Purdyand -- gasp! -- a stingy defense. However, the schedule is tough. The Iowa game is always a toss-up, and the Cyclones get Oklahoma and Texas in back-to-back weeks in November. Plus, consecutive road trips to West Virginia and Texas Tech in mid-October is just setting up for an unexpected loss. Oddsmakers have this win total just about right, but given the round number, I'll take the over. -- Over +106, Under -124

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Looking at recruiting, we usually finish 6th or 7th. No wonder so many of our games are won or lost on a razor's edge. We really are overachieving if 8 wins happen, at least if you trust in the recruiting ratings. Good coaching? Strength and Conditioning? Ratings too subjective?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I started a thread, but you beat me to it by about a day. I hadn't seen it prior to that. @madguy30 alerted me.

So I'll repost my hunches, taking into account schedule strength and game locations.

Over:
ISU (my play-it-safe fandom says "push")
Baylor
Kansas
Oklahoma State

Under:
Kansas State
Oklahoma
TCU
Texas
Tech
West Virginia

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Looking at recruiting, we usually finish 6th or 7th. No wonder so many of our games are won or lost on a razor's edge. We really are overachieving if 8 wins happen, at least if you trust in the recruiting ratings. Good coaching? Strength and Conditioning? Ratings too subjective?
At some point, recruiting ratings are directly impacted by the law of diminishing returns.

For example, looking at some of the “top” recruiting classes yesterday, I noticed schools that had, say, four highly rated defensive tackles committed, or four defensive ends, plus three or four defensive tackles.,

Sure, that pushes the rankings—but they can’t all be on the field at the same time. And that doesn't even consider the highly rated signees in the classes before or after this one.

Redundancy. There is such a thing as “too much of a good thing”.

Then, as far as our own “comparative” ratings are concerned, this staff happens to be very good at identifying talent that is better than the rating given by the services. That’s a prevalent theme.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
At

Then, as far as our own “comparative” ratings are concerned, this staff happens to be very good at identifying talent that is better than the rating given by the services. That’s a prevalent theme.

Also to me they're good at finding where a player fits per their strengths.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
At some point, recruiting ratings are directly impacted by the law of diminishing returns.

Look at Tarique Milton, a .7993 rating. Yet that kid has good speed, knows how to get open, and seems to catch anything near him. Plays like a .8993!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Look at Tarique Milton, a .7993 rating. Yet that kid has good speed, knows how to get open, and seems to catch anything near him. Plays like a .8993!
Pretty sure that Tariq was rated that low because no
One expected him to qualify. The staff signed him on the quiet, and when he made grades, having faith in him paid off.

Something similar with Joe Scares—except that his offers were so far off the chart, he was never downgraded. And the staff stuck with him.