Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I'm super stoked for Spider-Man: Far From Home, especially seeing the super good reviews and even more so knowing that I'll actually be bringing my wife with me to this one. I've said before on here, but its a little rough trying to get her to go to superhero movies with me, so I stick to only trying to get her to go to ones that I'm pretty sure she will like. While she hasn't seen all of them, whether at theater or at home, she seems to like the first couple Captain America films (didn't like Civil War as much), Iron Man 1, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and both the Ant-Man movies best. It seems that any time the character count goes up of characters she doesn't know who they are, the more she loses, especially if they are somewhat confusing over-powered characters. In fact, I've yet to get her to watch an Avengers movie yet, and in general, she like the fun movies most, with the exception of simply really loving the character of Captain America. Oh yeah, the shorter the better too, which makes the team-up movies that much harder to get her to watch beings how they are usually longer. After the Batman vs Superman debacle of bringing her to that, I now really try to cherry-pick my efforts with her, knowing I'm likely one goof away from her saying no to all of them.

Does anyone else have a spouse or girlfriend they tango a dance with similar to myself? I'd love to hear your tactical moves as well.

I'm lucky in that my wife likes all of these superhero movies, especially Marvel. My problem is that we don't get the chance to go to the theater almost ever, so we have to wait until they're on blue-ray.

Reactions: Triggermv

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm super stoked for Spider-Man: Far From Home, especially seeing the super good reviews and even more so knowing that I'll actually be bringing my wife with me to this one. I've said before on here, but its a little rough trying to get her to go to superhero movies with me, so I stick to only trying to get her to go to ones that I'm pretty sure she will like. While she hasn't seen all of them, whether at theater or at home, she seems to like the first couple Captain America films (didn't like Civil War as much), Iron Man 1, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and both the Ant-Man movies best. It seems that any time the character count goes up of characters she doesn't know who they are, the more she loses, especially if they are somewhat confusing over-powered characters. In fact, I've yet to get her to watch an Avengers movie yet, and in general, she like the fun movies most, with the exception of simply really loving the character of Captain America. Oh yeah, the shorter the better too, which makes the team-up movies that much harder to get her to watch beings how they are usually longer. After the Batman vs Superman debacle of bringing her to that, I now really try to cherry-pick my efforts with her, knowing I'm likely one goof away from her saying no to all of them.

Does anyone else have a spouse or girlfriend they tango a dance with similar to myself? I'd love to hear your tactical moves as well.

We've been tag-teaming and talking about them later. Babysitters are just too hard to track down and expensive.
Turns out it's cheaper that way, since our tiny doesn't see the toys. How did they not think of having those toys when I was a kid?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

My wife was basically a super hero movie virgin before we met. I successfully popped her cherry and she's seen almost every MCU movie and enjoyed them. She cried during End Game a few times, so I feel like that kind of emotional investment is pretty impressive for a girl who didn't see anything nerdy before we met. She hadn't even seen any of the Star Wars movies.

I want to go see Far From Home next Wednesday. I want to take the Mrs as well as the older kids, but we'll have to find someone to watch the Sprout. He'd probably love the movie but he can't sit still at the theater yet. He's two and a half and knows almost all of his super heroes and Star Wars characters. He's my little nerd baby!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
We've been tag-teaming and talking about them later. Babysitters are just too hard to track down and expensive.
Turns out it's cheaper that way, since our tiny doesn't see the toys. How did they not think of having those toys when I was a kid?

Tag teaming and toys? This sounds like a different kind of post than I was expecting.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I'm lucky in that my wife likes all of these superhero movies, especially Marvel. My problem is that we don't get the chance to go to the theater almost ever, so we have to wait until they're on blue-ray.

This year my spouse and I have been trading off to the theater and hitting up matinees while the other is with our kiddo.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

My girlfriend hadn't seen a single one until we started dating. She thought superhero movies sounded dumb. After watching them with me she now likes them (or at least does a good job pretending :)). Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America really got her into them!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
My girlfriend hadn't seen a single one until we started dating. She thought superhero movies sounded dumb. After watching them with me she now likes them (or at least does a good job pretending :)). Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America really got her into them!

One of the first movie dates with my wife was Guardians of the Galaxy. It was hilarious and she loved it.

The thing that helped with Guardians was that you didn't need to know much about the MCU in general to enjoy it.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I want to take the kiddos to spiderman but they have not seen Endgame yet. Was hoping it would be out on DVD before Spiderman came out. No such luck.

From any non-spoiler review I've listened to so far, they say seeing Infinity War and Endgame is essential to understanding Far From Home. Beings how my wife hasn't seen them, I guess I'm going to be forced to just give her a quick synopsis. While there is a small chance I can get her to watch Infinity War before Tuesday, although unlikely, there is zero chance I'll get her to go to Endgame first.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
One of the first movie dates with my wife was Guardians of the Galaxy. It was hilarious and she loved it.

The thing that helped with Guardians was that you didn't need to know much about the MCU in general to enjoy it.

While my wife seems to like the ones that are a bit more grounded, I'm going to give Guardians of the Galaxy a shot one of these days as I'm pretty sure she will dig it. Just knowing her like I do, I see her liking the GOTG1 a lot more than GOTG2.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

Go figure.

tenor.gif

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Don’t waste your time with the Endgame Re-Release:

“It seems pretty cynical for Marvel/Disney to sell this as any kind of extended cut when the film itself is the same and the reality of the new Endgame footage adds up to way less than 30 seconds.​

Unless you're a dedicated MCU completionist you probably don't need to venture out to your local multiplex for the sake of the five minutes of Stan Lee behind the scenes footage and 20 seconds of Endgame footage that's been tacked onto the end of the "new" release.”
https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/06/28/avengers-endgame-re-release-post-credit-scene-new-footage

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I'd seen some of the Iron Man and Captain America movies, and even Avengers. But what pulled me into the MCU was Guardians of the Galaxy.