WBB: 2019-20 schedule discussion

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
With the announcement that ISU will play @ Alabama Dec 5th for the Big 12/SEC WBB Challenge, it's probably time to start a thread for discussion and details of the 2019-2020 schedule.

Known schedule (updated 8/5):

Mon 11/18 Princeton
Fri 11/22 @ NDSU
Thu 12/5 @ Alabama (Big 12/SEC Challenge)
Sun 12/22 UNI

TBD Iowa
TBD @ Drake

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I assume we'll see the following:
vs Iowa
@ Drake

We may see the following:
vs. UNI (we didn't play last year, but we were @ UNI two years ago)
vs. Eastern Michigan (technically we played @ EMU last year. Don't know if they agreed to a home and home)

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Last year was a good one for the non-conference schedule...hoping this year is more of the same, although that will be a challenge for this team at first given the replacements needed.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
We got Miami at home last year so maybe we are playing @ Miami this year? Same with Auburn. Maybe even Northern Illinois?
EDIT: Ignore this. These were all Preseason WNIT games.

We have two 4-year seniors this year. I wonder if we'll play anywhere near DC for Nia. We obviously won't be playing a home game for Camber in Sweden.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Auburn and Miami were part of the WNIT, so it would seem odd to give either one a home game just because they happened to play in Ames last year.

Five Big 12 teams have already disclosed their early-season tournament plans, so you can cross those off of the potential list:
Kansas State - Junkanoo Jam (Bahamas)
Oklahoma - Preseason WNIT
Oklahoma State - Paradise Jam (Virgin Islands)
Texas - Rainbow Wahine Classic
West Virginia - Cancun Challenge

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We had the best non-conference schedule in like forever last year so I am guessing this year will be just Iowa, @ Drake, @ Alabama and then a bunch of weak sauce opponents unless we do a tournament somewhere and draw some decent competition.

Not trying to be overly cynical here, but challenging or even interesting non-conference schedules just haven't been our modus operandi.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Auburn and Miami were part of the WNIT, so it would seem odd to give either one a home game just because they happened to play in Ames last year.

Five Big 12 teams have already disclosed their early-season tournament plans, so you can cross those off of the potential list:
Kansas State - Junkanoo Jam (Bahamas)
Oklahoma - Preseason WNIT
Oklahoma State - Paradise Jam (Virgin Islands)
Texas - Rainbow Wahine Classic
West Virginia - Cancun Challenge

Wow, that's pretty much thee list of stuff we've done in the past isn't it?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We had the best non-conference schedule in like forever last year so I am guessing this year will be just Iowa, @ Drake, @ Alabama and then a bunch of weak sauce opponents unless we do a tournament somewhere and draw some decent competition.

Not trying to be overly cynical here, but challenging or even interesting non-conference schedules just haven't been our modus operandi.
With a young team that's probably expected.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

It's almost like the coaching staff puts together the non-conference slate based on their expectations for their own squad.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's almost like the coaching staff puts together the non-conference slate based on their expectations for their own squad.

Don't really think so. Last years good schedule had to do with games not really under the staffs full control. Drake and Iowa, who we are going to play every year, were good. South Dakota, a good mid-major, was good in a return home/home game. The SEC game is between the leagues, not the schools. The other good games were the WNIT's schedule, not ours even though we got to play them all in Hilton. We have just never elected to schedule anything much in elective games in NC.

Subtracting Iowa (who we play every year as a P5 major opponent/rival) and Drake (who is good now and we play every year) here are the non-conference major opponents over the last 10 years. Only two P5's came outside of tournament or league scheduled challenges.

2018-19
Northern Illinois (WNIT)
Auburn (WNIT)
Miami (WNIT)
South Dakota
Arkansas (SEC/Big12)

2017-18
South Dakota – decent mid-major based on WNIT the year before.
Vanderbilt (SEC/Big12)

2016-17
Mississippi State (SEC/Big12)

2015-16
Duke (Cancun Challenge)

2014-15
none

2013-14
Auburn (South Point Shootout)

2012-13
Illinois (Junkanoo Jam)

2011-12
Michigan

2010-11
Virginia (Paradise Jam)
TCU (Paradise Jam)
West Virginia (Paradise Jam)
Michigan (Big10/Big12)

2009-10
Minnesota

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I would disagree, most yrs we schedule soft. Main concern for the last few yrs was to keep the ncaa streak alive even though anyone watching them all season knew there was no reason to buy tickets for the tourney because we were going to lose the first game.

Last yr was the 1st yr in a long time that I have enjoyed watching them and the challenging schedule was part of that. Beat the little sisters of the blind and lose by 30 to Baylor who cares. Last yr was a lot of fun even traveled out to the Dakotas for the game we lost if I remember right but it was entertaining. The NCAA's were fun even though we lost at home (bad shooting night and we just got beat IMO)

The effort displayed by the team last yr was what made it fun not necessarily the won loss record. With this yrs team I just want to see effort and improvement, if we make the Tourney by improving thru the yr that's awesome, if we just slide in by being mediocre I probably won't spend my money traveling to support them. Sorry for the long post we all support WBB even though at times we have differing views.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Nice post NWICY. Last season was rather interesting for the Clones. I seriously doubt that this years team will be as good, but it would be a pleasant surprise if they were. Right now it's rather hard to evaluate the Big 12 for next year. Several teams will be slightly better and several will not. Transfers going out transfers coming in. New freshman on the scene. Never know what to expect. But I do know this, it will be tough for ISU to fill the shoes of Carleton and Middleton. They had an outstanding year.

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
I think people way over estimate how much power ISU has to get good teams to come to Hilton. Basically, TV has much more sway over that than we do. When coach would do lunches in the MU, he would get the question at least every third time. And he would say, we don't have anything to induce teams to come play in Hilton. This is collegiate women's basketball, there isn't a fund for that, essentially. Smaller programs need the game, but good programs don't want to risk the loss.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I think people way over estimate how much power ISU has to get good teams to come to Hilton. Basically, TV has much more sway over that than we do. When coach would do lunches in the MU, he would get the question at least every third time. And he would say, we don't have anything to induce teams to come play in Hilton. This is collegiate women's basketball, there isn't a fund for that, essentially. Smaller programs need the game, but good programs don't want to risk the loss.

we've been down this road before, but this IMO is a fib.

There are several WBB programs that do NOT turn down any challengers to a home and home, especially in the top 25 or so level. I personally understand the risk of losing to a WGB or South Dakota, but the top programs do not shy from teams that draw big crowds, and actually seek them out. I

As we saw a couple Big 12 teams sit out of the NCAA's this year because they had weak noncons, now is not the time to revert to the sisters of the poor mentality.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Nice post NWICY. Last season was rather interesting for the Clones. I seriously doubt that this years team will be as good, but it would be a pleasant surprise if they were. Right now it's rather hard to evaluate the Big 12 for next year. Several teams will be slightly better and several will not. Transfers going out transfers coming in. New freshman on the scene. Never know what to expect. But I do know this, it will be tough for ISU to fill the shoes of Carleton and Middleton. They had an outstanding year.

I think there needs to be a "surprise" this year on the roster for the team to really excel. Oneor two of the current roster players needs to really take a step up. Nezerwa getting another year was BIG. One thing is for sure, BF will have a LOT of options, given players coming off redshirts and newcomers.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
we've been down this road before, but this IMO is a fib.

There are several WBB programs that do NOT turn down any challengers to a home and home, especially in the top 25 or so level. I personally understand the risk of losing to a WGB or South Dakota, but the top programs do not shy from teams that draw big crowds, and actually seek them out. I

As we saw a couple Big 12 teams sit out of the NCAA's this year because they had weak noncons, now is not the time to revert to the sisters of the poor mentality.

You're being kind. I'd call the "no one will come to Hilton" line utter and complete self-serving BS. UConn did a home/home with Kansas State 2015-16, 2016-17. Sherri Cole is playing UConn this season in the back of a home/home with them. Maybe she's not a good example since you can make a strong case that over the last five years or so she has overscheduled in NC but we are talking about what can be done. The staff doesn't want these games and doesn't want to own up to it. People can make a case for "we don't need these games" but people can't objectively and honestly say we would love them but just can't get them, that's just nonsense.

• Agree
Reactions: geewago

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I would like to see a competitive noncom schedule also. The issue is though how tough do you want? I can tell you that if you get too tough of a schedule and it costs us making the NCAA's there will be a bunch on here complaining about our schedule.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
When you have a young team you don’t get better by getting thrashed by UConn at home or on the road. We don’t need to play top 25 teams in our non-con. Would I like to see more like Auburn or South Dakota? Absolutely. Sisters of the Poor? Sometimes as those games are also about budget I’m guessing and allow the bench valuable playing time. Developing your depth in the preseason is incredibly valuable.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
When you have a young team you don’t get better by getting thrashed by UConn at home or on the road. We don’t need to play top 25 teams in our non-con. Would I like to see more like Auburn or South Dakota? Absolutely. Sisters of the Poor? Sometimes as those games are also about budget I’m guessing and allow the bench valuable playing time. Developing your depth in the preseason is incredibly valuable.

Well figuring Bill hardly ever goes past 8 deep that shouldn't be to hard.

Reactions: runbikeswim