JORDAN: Is the hype justified?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Has there been a bunch of hype for this season that I've missed out on? Honestly haven't seen much so it seems like an odd article title.

We've been quieter about it than normal. Instead of our traditional, desperate looks through the schedule to justify the wins we can imagine, seems like most of us have just settled into the fact that we're good now.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My big questions:

How much was the defensive line helped last year by outstanding coverage? Can it return the favor this year for the relatively inexperienced secondary this year?

Can Purdy spread it around without that one huge bailout option streaking down field, and can the young backs keep the pressure off him by being productive both in rushing and blocking?

I think the answer to those questions will be positive, but if we see some struggles here and there, it would not surprise me to see them come from these uncertainties.

One huge part of the coverage is having 8 people back there to account for at all times. In the past we had 6, had four on the line and we always blitzed one and it was usually obvious who was coming. Those two extra cause problems. DLine gets pressure with three, you don't have to drop the qb, just make him aware you are there and it distracts him. Forces poorer throws and helps dbacks recover.

I think a difference in the passing scheme the last couple years has been a guy releasing vertically and the emphasis to crank it up when all else fails. See if you have a guy who can go after it. Scates has size and speed they say. Milton can fly so there are a couple that could be deep threats.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
IMO, if the hype is unjustified, it will be due to one reason - the loss of David Montgomery. That kid created lots of yards and first downs out of nothing.
That plus the OL development would be my concern. If I were the type to be concerned.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
We are in a position to have a really special season if the breaks go our way. That's all I ever wanted out of the football program. I am very excite!

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
One huge part of the coverage is having 8 people back there to account for at all times. In the past we had 6, had four on the line and we always blitzed one and it was usually obvious who was coming. Those two extra cause problems. DLine gets pressure with three, you don't have to drop the qb, just make him aware you are there and it distracts him. Forces poorer throws and helps dbacks recover.

I think a difference in the passing scheme the last couple years has been a guy releasing vertically and the emphasis to crank it up when all else fails. See if you have a guy who can go after it. Scates has size and speed they say. Milton can fly so there are a couple that could be deep threats.

I'm not a football guru, but I've always said we were the worst blitzing team in the country during the McCarney/Chizik/Rhoads eras. No disguises, really bad timing, no creativity...We've been so much better under Campbell, but part of that is the reason you point out....we don't have to always blitz.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’ve got to admit, I thoroughly enjoyed this article. Thanks, Jay! But maybe my very favorite thing was seeing someone spell “shoo-in” correctly.

Seriously. Halsted (for example) gives good content, but he’s horrible about such aphorisms. “Take the reins” is just one other that he habitually butchers—and he’s not the only columnist/blogger out there who does. Fingernails on a blackboard.

BTW, that’s a helpful hint, Jared. o_O

• Useful
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Trust me, I understand.

Though my “old age” may be a bit more than most “old ages” on this board.

The sad part is I put it in the Miyan Williams thread first and deleted it only to put it in the wrong thread again. What the heck.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I’ve got to admit, I thoroughly enjoyed this article. Thanks, Jay! But maybe my very favorite thing was seeing someone spell “shoo-in” correctly.

Seriously. Halsted (for example) gives good content, but he’s horrible about such aphorisms. “Take the reins” is just one other that he habitually butchers—and he’s not the only columnist/blogger out there who does. Fingernails on a blackboard.

BTW, that’s a helpful hint, Jared. o_O

“Take the reins” is correct.