WW2 bomb goes off in German corn field

SolonCy

Aug 23, 2008
  • Informative
Reactions: CyclonesRock

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Here is a ground level picture for scale.

gettyimages-1151692624-1-1561397654.jpg

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a28170164/crater-germany-world-war-ii/
Yup, definitely not 'merican. If it was from the red white and blue it would've covered an entire city block or more.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
We were in Berlin last week and a guy we were chatting with said his apartment was evacuated for a day because they found a bomb while doing construction next door. Interesting stuff!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
When we visited Normandy a few years back, we took a D-Day tour. The tour guide said about once a month a few of them will go out into the fields and try to find WW2 artifacts. They've even come across human remains and he described the whole process they have to go through when this happens.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
There was a farmer that hit a natural gas line in IL a couple of years ago. Farmer was putting in a tile line and had a rep for the gas line company there to make sure they were all clear. I guess the tiling machine hit something, but the gas rep said that it was a rock or something and put tractor on front of the machine to help pull it through, unfortunately it was the gas line and the rep, farmer and the farmer's son perished in the explosion.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
That is not even counting the artillery shells from Dubya Dubya One and Two.

Plus there is this whole thing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

1280px-Thames_Richard_Montgomery_KC_7722_%28Modified%29.JPG

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20151027-the-ticking-time-bomb-of-the-thames

The ship lies just 1.5 miles (2.4km) from shore in the mouth of the bustling Thames estuary. Clearly visible from the land – its rusting masts rising ominously from the water – the sunken vessel contains disturbing cargo: 1,400 tonnes of high explosives which many fear could go off at any time, potentially causing one of the most devastating non-nuclear peace-time explosions ever seen [...] However, estimates paint a worrying picture. According to a survey carried out in 2000 by the UK government’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA), the ship likely contains a staggering assortment of more than 9,000 US-made explosives. These include 286 giant 2,000lb ‘blockbuster’ bombs, 4,439 1,000lb devices and – perhaps most worryingly of all – more than 2,500 cluster bombs. Unlike most of the other items on board, cluster bombs would have been transported with their fuses in place, leaving them more prone to detonation.

I say set if off for the 4th of July.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
There was a farmer that hit a natural gas line in IL a couple of years ago. Farmer was putting in a tile line and had a rep for the gas line company there to make sure they were all clear. I guess the tiling machine hit something, but the gas rep said that it was a rock or something and put tractor on front of the machine to help pull it through, unfortunately it was the gas line and the rep, farmer and the farmer's son perished in the explosion.

Damn. Make me feel lucky, I hit a gas line in my yard with a skid loader. Luckily it didn't explode but I got everyone out of the house, called the fire department and alliant came to fix it. I was expecting a fine or something but nope nothing.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Damn. Make me feel lucky, I hit a gas line in my yard with a skid loader. Luckily it didn't explode but I got everyone out of the house, called the fire department and alliant came to fix it. I was expecting a fine or something but nope nothing.

Count your blessings!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron