Nebraska High School monthly drug testing adding Nicotine to banned substances

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
As a wrestler who cut a lot of weight, we always went to the locker room at lunch to chew instead of being tempted by food ( I realize how dumb this was now). No teacher that went into the locker room cared and looked the other way. None of us were of age but different times I guess. We were a rural school so that probably had a lot to do with it but I have no doubt that wouldn’t fly now. I was in school over a decade ago.

• Agree
Reactions: Fate

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Most kids today are hooked on caffeine and sugar. Good thing they don't screen them for Red Bull, or one of the other thousand "energy drinks" that are out there. Beer is healthier than that crap.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Most kids today are hooked on caffeine and sugar. Good thing they don't screen them for Red Bull, or one of the other thousand "energy drinks" that are out there. Beer is healthier than that crap.

Let's be real - that's no different than any other generation. I was in HS 25 years ago and I had to have a can of Mountain Dew before I went to bed just to sleep normally.

• Funny
Reactions: Gunnerclone

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
I heard signing an in season agreement works.

dazedpic2_Fotor.jpg
Well they may play ball but they will never sign that.:cool:

Reactions: isukendall

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Was at a golf outing last year where proceeds go to buy Defibrillators (AEDs) for local schools. They had a dad speak about how his son died at school because of energy drinks. I cringe everytime I see a kid buying them.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
If they tested for roids/pro hormones in my hometown during my HS years there would have been dozens of guys ineligible.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
https://journalstar.com/news/local/...cle_b613f60c-c34e-5c8a-8c59-de4fdf2805b0.html

I found this article kind of crazy. I didn't realize high school drug testing was at least somewhat common, and adding nicotine to it seems like the wrong way to push back against the vaping fad.

It is not a fad. My county of residence has this:

AN ORDINANCE FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROHIBITING THE USE OF ELECTRONIC SMOKING DEVICES IN PUBLIC PLACES; PROVIDING A PENALTY; AND ESTABLISHING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.

The vaping fad things have UP TO 30% more nicotine than cigarettes.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

AN ORDINANCE FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROHIBITING THE USE OF ELECTRONIC SMOKING DEVICES IN PUBLIC PLACES; PROVIDING A PENALTY; AND ESTABLISHING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.

If you choose to get stupid with it, yes. When you make the switch, they ask how much you typically smoke and then recommend a content level. You don't get anything from increased nicotine content except increasingly crappy taste.

It's a great way to quit smoking by switching, and then dialing down the nicotine content.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Let's be real - that's no different than any other generation. I was in HS 25 years ago and I had to have a can of Mountain Dew before I went to bed just to sleep normally.

Except that energy drinks are probably 5 times worse for you than a can of Mountain Dew.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I can’t imagine how hard HS sucks right now. I’m hoping to send my son to Amsterdam for his HS years.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Well the nicotine in cigarettes isn’t what is giving you lung cancer so.....

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclonepride

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I wonder if eggplant could set off the test. A portion is only 1% of the nicotine in a cigarette and it's not like many American high school kids are even eating eggplant but it would be kind of funny like Elaine's poppy seed bagels. I know it would be my first excuse in a pinch...I had eggplant parmesan last night!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I wonder if eggplant could set off the test. A portion is only 1% of the nicotine in a cigarette and it's not like many American high school kids are even eating eggplant but it would be kind of funny like Elaine's poppy seed bagels. I know it would be my first excuse in a pinch...I had eggplant parmesan last night!

Not sure about that, I see kids using the egg plant emoji A LOT!

• Funny
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
As a wrestler who cut a lot of weight, we always went to the locker room at lunch to chew instead of being tempted by food ( I realize how dumb this was now). No teacher that went into the locker room cared and looked the other way. None of us were of age but different times I guess. We were a rural school so that probably had a lot to do with it but I have no doubt that wouldn’t fly now. I was in school over a decade ago.

Chewing probably does get rid of a little bit of water weight. We'd all suck on a jolly rancher in the bus to the meet to get saliva going. I'm not sure how tobacco might affect you in that tired weakened state before you get back to fully hydrated but I've never been a tobacco user.

My English teacher once caught a glimpse of me sketching in my notebook (always been an artist) during class and tried to have an intervention to save me, she was just being sweet. I had all these detailed drawings of pizza, a huge turkey, burgers, fries instead of taking notes on whatever we were covering...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Drink coffee kids!

I've told several people trying to loose weight and get in shape to switch to coffee or tea from those energy drinks or soda. They could even put two packets of sugar in and probably still reduce their sugar astronomically.

Coffee or tea really aren't that bad for teens as long as they have something to keep busy with and aren't having it before bed. The heavy cream and syrup Starbucks sells kids with a splash of coffee is really bad for humans of any age.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyched