NCAA reacts to california athlete compensation bill

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
It's still my opinion that if kids want to make money on their likeness then don't go to college. Go Pro out of high school. If you want to play your sport then go to college.

And most leave with a free education plus extras thrown in. People forget it’s a small % that go pro and not entering the workforce.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
The rich can't get a whole lot richer than they already are. When was the last time we saw a true upstart in the blue blood teams in football? Oregon, maybe? And they only did so with a vast influx of cash to the program.

Look at the recruiting rankings every year. Basically the same teams at the top. And when someone does crash the recruiting party, like say Ole Miss a few years ago, it's because they've been blatantly flaunting the rules. How much more power could the big boys possibly have? TCU already doesn't stand a chance. If you need evidence look no further than their being left out of the playoff a few years back. College athletics already has an enormous disparity between the haves and have nots, and athletes already go to the highest bidder. Letting it happen above the board isn't going to move the needle much. It's already pegged.
It could hurt parity. If you can make more money sitting on the bench at Texas than you can starting all 4 years at ISU it's gonna be a problem. It could be similar to having 95+ scholarships.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If getting free education, free housing, free food, free clothing, free coaching, free TRAVEL (sometimes to exotic places like Europe, Hawaii, and the Carribean), free fitness and nutrition isnt enough, then dont go to college. No one makes a kid do this. Changi g the compensation rules for less than 1% of student athletes sounds like special treatment to me. Hell, dont stop and think about how college help build your brand and skills to make your pro money.

God, how much I would have given to have been good enough to play football at ISU and wear school colors, be a part of a team, travel all over the country for free, and not have to work a full time job at Perkins schlepping pancakes for drunks and old people at Perkins for 5 years to pay my rent, car, and school bills.

Yeah, I know I'm getting to be an old fart, but I'm sick and tired of this entitled me me me me me me me crap.
Again, it's not about the notion of being compensated at all, it's about the freedom to maximize your compensation. It's capitalism. The NCAA artificially caps what schools can offer athletes, and then restricts them from getting any other compensation. That's fundamentally unfair, and wouldn't fly in literally any other industry. Shoot, it doesn't even fly elsewhere within the university system, where other students on scholarship, are free to make money doing other things, even the very thing that they are going to school for. A student on a band scholarship is free to make as much money as they can playing an instrument outside of school, for example. The only reason that the NCAA has the power, is because they control the primary path to the "professional" leagues.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That's not going to happen, though. Not with the money involved. That train has left the station. There's no going back.

The money is there because the butts are in the seats and the eyeballs on the screens, not because 5* John Thunderdunker is wearing the jersey for the Wildcats this year.

People are still going to show when Mr. Thunderdunker is playing for the Medicine Hat Poutines before going in the second-round of the NBA draft the next season and we are all watching the pipsqueak dude from western Nebraska play ball.

College sports fans care about the college, not the talent/players like pro fans.

Let the guys who want to be pros be pros and give me the guys who want to be student-athletes. People will still be coming to Ames even without the future draft picks.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It could hurt parity. If you can make more money sitting on the bench at Texas than you can starting all 4 years at ISU it's gonna be a problem. It could be similar to having 95+ scholarships.
Meh, some might go that route, sure. But if the NFL/NBA is still the ultimate goal, I imagine there will be plenty of guys who would be happy to be the big fish in a small pond and get playing time. Look at Allen Lazard. Would he have made more money off of his likeness going to college in Ames Iowa or Alabama? I don't know. It's probably close. There's more money at Bama, but he'd be a way bigger celebrity, here. Not every kid is going to pick Bama in that scenario.

Also, parity is not a word that should ever be used when discussing big time college athletics. Nobody is concerned about parity. Parity was taken out behind the barn and shot with a rifle a long time ago.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: deadeyededric

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Meh, some might go that route, sure. But if the NFL/NBA is still the ultimate goal, I imagine there will be plenty of guys who would be happy to be the big fish in a small pond and get playing time. Look at Allen Lazard. Would he have made more money off of his likeness going to college in Ames Iowa or Alabama? I don't know. It's probably close. There's more money at Bama, but he'd be a way bigger celebrity, here. Not every kid is going to pick Bama in that scenario.

There's plenty of money around ISU to get some top talent - they may even get MORE top talent to go there. Top talent isn't gonna go sit on the bench at Texas when they can go play for someone else, like ISU.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Not to be difficult but how about we end all of those perks the student athlete gets for tuition, room, board, and stipends.

Then let's have the student athletes get paid based of their individual market value, just like a job. I can guarantee you 90%+ would make significantly less than their current perks and benefits over the 4 years they play and unless they have academic scholarships most would be darn near broke like the rest of the student body and have to work for food services just to pay tuition, room and board. Take away the education support the college pays for as well. These kids have typically state of the art experiences. Also... ever since NCAA football and basketball games went away... how exactly are these universities profiting off the students likeness now... I'm also pretty sure these universities are putting an enormous amount of what they make back into things that benefit either the athletes or the student body in general. Let's not pretend like these universities are sitting on Scroog McDuck levels of money just playing the stock market and paying out millions in bonuses.

I am not against increasing the stipend range or evening letting them have jobs. But a lot of the arguments for paying student athletes are coming from the same crowd that wont stop talking about realignment so it goes right into the meh box for me.

Go to school as an athlete... study business or engineering... if the pros dont work out you still have a comfy job particularly with the student athlete post graduate networks out there.

Or... go to school as an athlete... study english... dont get into the pros... be irritated that you're going to make $20k after college... then advocate for student athletes to get paid while in college because you're bitter.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
Stupid law, it's not illegal for student-athletes to get paid in the other 49 states why does California feel the need to make a law to define it as being legal?

If student-athletes can get paid for their likenesses then all of KU's Adidas money will be able to buy much better players. Wonder how many ISU fans will enjoy a change to players getting paid when the shoe companies start allocating out the players on their payroll to schools as they decide.

There isn't a shortage of players looking to play college athletics under the current compensation system, the rule of supply and demand says that the market is fine with the current compensation scheme. If you want to watch pro sports go watch pro sports, there is no need to make college athletics into pro sports.

• Dislike
Reactions: Halincandenza

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Again, it's not about the notion of being compensated at all, it's about the freedom to maximize your compensation. It's capitalism. The NCAA artificially caps what schools can offer athletes, and then restricts them from getting any other compensation. That's fundamentally unfair, and wouldn't fly in literally any other industry. Shoot, it doesn't even fly elsewhere within the university system, where other students on scholarship, are free to make money doing other things, even the very thing that they are going to school for. A student on a band scholarship is free to make as much money as they can playing an instrument outside of school, for example. The only reason that the NCAA has the power, is because they control the primary path to the "professional" leagues.

So why do they sign LOI's? These rules are well known ahead of time. No one has forces them to go to college. They choose to do so.

In reality, the groups keeping these athletes from earning more is the NFL and NBA by having age restrictions.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
This is my issue. We need to go back to college athletics being college athletics and not a semi pro league.
I honestly feel like the only way the amateurism of college athletics gets fixed is by moving to a model closer to what we see in European soccer. The top flight kids sign contracts with the professional franchises while they are 13/14/15, then spend their time developing on youth teams.

The NBA has shown that the best players don't need to go to college to be competitive and to make their money. For football, if there were a viable semi-pro/minor league I'm sure you would see a decent number of kids taking that route, instead of going to college. In the immortal words of Cardale Jones, "We ain't come to play school."

The reason why these semi-pro or minor leagues haven't become a thing, is because the NCAA has a vested interest in squashing them before they can ever find a foothold. The NCAA is a non-profit that generates billions in revenue, and any challenger to their product will be eliminated before it can even begin.

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Stupid law, it's not illegal for student-athletes to get paid in the other 49 states why does California feel the need to make a law to define it as being legal?

If student-athletes can get paid for their likenesses then all of KU's Adidas money will be able to buy much better players. Wonder how many ISU fans will enjoy a change to players getting paid when the shoe companies start allocating out the players on their payroll to schools as they decide.

There isn't a shortage of players looking to play college athletics under the current compensation system, the rule of supply and demand says that the market is fine with the current compensation scheme. If you want to watch pro sports go watch pro sports, there is no need to make college athletics into pro sports.

No need? Says the guy on the side watching it all happen. That’s a pretty ridiculous argument. “They don’t need to get paid because I don’t want them to”.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

But it's really not. These are public universities, not private businesses.

If you want capitalism and 18-22 year old kids that aren't ready for professional ball or aren't good enough for professional ball to get paid, go ahead and start a semi-pro league for them and pay them.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
You were compensated, but you weren't free to negotiate. The NCAA artificially limits what you can be compensated. If I apply for a job as a cashier at Lowe's, and they say they'll pay me $12 an hour, I'm free go to Menards or Home Depot, and apply to be a cashier there, where they might offer me $13 an hour or more. I'm free to weigh the benefits of each job, and even ask for more money, which the employer could agree to of they feel I'm worth it. Maybe I'm a great cashier or something. But in college athletics, the NCAA is there saying "All cashiers can only make $12 an hour. Doesn't matter which store you work at. $12 is the maximum.". That's inherently unfair. It's artificially limiting the cost of labor. And in the case of a sport like football, the NCAA effectively controls the only path to the NFL, so players don't really have any other choice than to submit to their rules.

There's a reason why the NCAA has formed their little groups to explore some of these areas regarding compensation rules. They know just as well as anyone else that they're going to have to change sooner or later. Just a matter of time.
You just made the case against this rule change. Do we really want athletes to be able to shop for, or switch "employers" because Iowa or Texas can and will pay more than Iowa State?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I honestly feel like the only way the amateurism of college athletics gets fixed is by moving to a model closer to what we see in European soccer. The top flight kids sign contracts with the professional franchises while they are 13/14/15, then spend their time developing on youth teams.

The NBA has shown that the best players don't need to go to college to be competitive and to make their money. For football, if there were a viable semi-pro/minor league I'm sure you would see a decent number of kids taking that route, instead of going to college. In the immortal words of Cardale Jones, "We ain't come to play school."

The reason why these semi-pro or minor leagues haven't become a thing, is because the NCAA has a vested interest in squashing them before they can ever find a foothold. The NCAA is a non-profit that generates billions in revenue, and any challenger to their product will be eliminated before it can even begin.

Do you have an example of the NCAA squashing any leagues? Seems the NFL and NBA would be more likely to squash competitors than the NCAA. The pro sports have just as much vested interest in free tryouts. A lot less risk if they can see them in college before deciding whether to offer a contract.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
You just made the case against this rule change. Do we really want athletes to be able to shop for, or switch "employers" because Iowa or Texas can and will pay more than Iowa State?

The old “I need to have a good college team” argument. My favorite.