NCAA reacts to california athlete compensation bill

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
You were compensated, but you weren't free to negotiate. The NCAA artificially limits what you can be compensated. If I apply for a job as a cashier at Lowe's, and they say they'll pay me $12 an hour, I'm free go to Menards or Home Depot, and apply to be a cashier there, where they might offer me $13 an hour or more. I'm free to weigh the benefits of each job, and even ask for more money, which the employer could agree to of they feel I'm worth it. Maybe I'm a great cashier or something. But in college athletics, the NCAA is there saying "All cashiers can only make $12 an hour. Doesn't matter which store you work at. $12 is the maximum.". That's inherently unfair. It's artificially limiting the cost of labor. And in the case of a sport like football, the NCAA effectively controls the only path to the NFL, so players don't really have any other choice than to submit to their rules.

There's a reason why the NCAA has formed their little groups to explore some of these areas regarding compensation rules. They know just as well as anyone else that they're going to have to change sooner or later. Just a matter of time.

I think the biggest argument to paying NCAA players is that 99% won't ever get a paycheck for playing in the pros. They do something else. Let them earn the $$$ that they generate for the NCAA while they're prohibited from being a professional....

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Playing a sport in college is not a job so I don't know why we try to compare it to one.
Okay, if you want to go that route. They're students. Treat them like students then. Students can get outside work. Students can profit from their likenesses if they wanted to and are able. Students can hire agents. Students can transfer whenever they want without penalty.

But no. The NCAA doesn't want that either. Athletes are only students when it's convenient for their argument.

Last edited:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Like that doesn't happen now? :rolleyes: The way to get rid of a black market is always to make it legal. Perhaps the league lays down some rules but they follow basic laws.

I figured you'd be one that doesn't get it. Not shocked.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You were compensated, but you weren't free to negotiate. The NCAA artificially limits what you can be compensated. If I apply for a job as a cashier at Lowe's, and they say they'll pay me $12 an hour, I'm free go to Menards or Home Depot, and apply to be a cashier there, where they might offer me $13 an hour or more. I'm free to weigh the benefits of each job, and even ask for more money, which the employer could agree to of they feel I'm worth it. Maybe I'm a great cashier or something. But in college athletics, the NCAA is there saying "All cashiers can only make $12 an hour. Doesn't matter which store you work at. $12 is the maximum.". That's inherently unfair. It's artificially limiting the cost of labor. And in the case of a sport like football, the NCAA effectively controls the only path to the NFL, so players don't really have any other choice than to submit to their rules.

There's a reason why the NCAA has formed their little groups to explore some of these areas regarding compensation rules. They know just as well as anyone else that they're going to have to change sooner or later. Just a matter of time.

Agreed, It really is nothing more than a price fixing scheme. But somehow convinced many of the players that its a great system for them. And for most sports that is a pretty good deal because their just isn't that much interest but football and basketball are different stories.

The NCAA has one interest in the end and that will be protecting their ownership of the NCAA tournament revenues.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Okay, if you want to go that route. They're students. Treat them like students then. Students can get outside work. Students can profit from their licences if they wanted to and are able. Students can hire agents. Students can transfer whenever they want without penalty.

But no. The NCAA doesn't want that either. Athletes are only students when it's convenient for their argument.

I am not going to change your mind and you aren't going to change my mind. I've experienced it first hand, knew what I was getting into when I got in it and was perfectly happy with the experience.

I just know opening it up will open a whole new can of worms.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78 and Ozclone

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with this company called Adidas.

Perhaps more should be done to correct the corruption rather than continuing to facilitate it. Again, not shocked you're the primary one incapable of grasping this.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
  • Agree
Reactions: Mr Janny

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When a team like Alabama can clearly demonstrate selling more gear and show more eyeballs on their games every Saturday this rule would create just another advantage to those schools in recruiting when an athlete can see that they can make more money off of the likeness when they go to 'Bama than another school.

If 'Bama and their championship dynasty the last decade is an unfair comparison, let's try Notre Dame who aren't what they used to be but still can brag about being a "national brand". A player who has a decision between Notre Dame and TCU who is comparable on the success stage the last few years will have an easy financial decision when he sees how much more merch he can sell to all of those national fans. TCU wouldn't stand a chance. The rich will become richer and another nail will be nailed in the coffin of those teams trying to fight their way up from fun story to national contender.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
When a team like Alabama can clearly demonstrate selling more gear and show more eyeballs on their games every Saturday this rule would create just another advantage to those schools in recruiting when an athlete can see that they can make more money off of the likeness when they go to 'Bama than another school.

If 'Bama and their championship dynasty the last decade is an unfair comparison, let's try Notre Dame who aren't what they used to be but still can brag about being a "national brand". A player who has a decision between Notre Dame and TCU who is comparable on the success stage the last few years will have an easy financial decision when he sees how much more merch he can sell to all of those national fans. TCU wouldn't stand a chance. The rich will become richer and another nail will be nailed in the coffin of those teams trying to fight their way up from fun story to national contender.
The rich can't get a whole lot richer than they already are. When was the last time we saw a true upstart in the blue blood teams in football? Oregon, maybe? And they only did so with a vast influx of cash to the program.

Look at the recruiting rankings every year. Basically the same teams at the top. And when someone does crash the recruiting party, like say Ole Miss a few years ago, it's because they've been blatantly flaunting the rules. How much more power could the big boys possibly have? TCU already doesn't stand a chance. If you need evidence look no further than their being left out of the playoff a few years back. College athletics already has an enormous disparity between the haves and have nots, and athletes already go to the highest bidder. Letting it happen above the board isn't going to move the needle much. It's already pegged.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Perhaps more should be done to correct the corruption rather than continuing to facilitate it. Again, not shocked you're the primary one incapable of grasping this.

Correct the corruption. The NCAA.... :D:D:D:D:D:rolleyes:

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Correct the corruption. The NCAA.... :D:D:D:D:D:rolleyes:
Exactly. How do you clean the mud from a mud puddle?

If this passes, and the NCAA's bluff is called, how quickly do you think the legislatures from states with SEC schools will pass similar bills? Over/Under is 2 months.

But, it won't get to that. The NCAA will lose this one. The cat won't go back in the bag. Players will have the ability to profit from their own name/likeness within 3-5 years, in my opinion. I don't think there's any stopping it.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
How about the "elite" recruits and players for football and men's basketball (who we are really talking about here) all start going pro or into minor/developmental leagues somehow and skip college entirely. Say there are no more 5* players (roughly) in either sport because of that. Those guys are gone, and the remainder become student-athletes.

I am still going to watch Iowa State as much as I did before hand even if we never have a guy like Lindell or Talen on the roster again because they are playing for money after high school. I think most college sports fans would feel the same way. The truly valuable thing with college sports is the game itself and the fan bases' connections to their schools, programs, and their traditions, not any particular set of athletes wearing the laundry that season.
This is my issue. We need to go back to college athletics being college athletics and not a semi pro league.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
That's not going to happen, though. Not with the money involved. That train has left the station. There's no going back.
Actually I think it is more likely to happen than actually paying players. The NCAA isn’t going to accept paying players. I think we are going to see the leagues continue to improve their developmental programs and we will see more players skip.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Actually I think it is more likely to happen than actually paying players. The NCAA isn’t going to accept paying players. I think we are going to see the leagues continue to improve their developmental programs and we will see more players skip.
They aren't going to have a lot of choice in the matter. Players having control of their likenesses is right around the corner. Anti-trust lawsuits are already chipping away at the NCAA'S business model. It's only a matter of time. The NCAA is doing their best to slow it down and shape the changes in their favor, but their model is crumbling.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
If getting free education, free housing, free food, free clothing, free coaching, free TRAVEL (sometimes to exotic places like Europe, Hawaii, and the Carribean), free fitness and nutrition isnt enough, then dont go to college. No one makes a kid do this. Changi g the compensation rules for less than 1% of student athletes sounds like special treatment to me. Hell, dont stop and think about how college help build your brand and skills to make your pro money.

God, how much I would have given to have been good enough to play football at ISU and wear school colors, be a part of a team, travel all over the country for free, and not have to work a full time job at Perkins schlepping pancakes for drunks and old people at Perkins for 5 years to pay my rent, car, and school bills.

Yeah, I know I'm getting to be an old fart, but I'm sick and tired of this entitled me me me me me me me crap.