Parents Little League Game Brawl in Colorado

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I'm starting year 3 of football officiating this year, not giving up yet. Granted, the fans aren't quite as close in football so that helps. Definitely have to have the right mindset for the job - I'm not out there to make friends.

Football would be the only sport I'd consider, partly for that reason, also because there are enough of you to diffuse the harassment.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
If these parents spent the time to contribute to society rather than start fights over 7-year olds playing baseball the world would be a slightly better place.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
My nephew has played travel ball the last 4 or 5 years. I've yet to see anything like what I've seen at the local little league that he played in and I coach in. I'm not saying it doesn't happen at travel ball, but from my experience it has been more relaxed at USSSA than Little League.

My daughter plays USSSA softball and as she has gotten older and moved up in classes, it seems the parents are better. We seem have more trouble with teams in my other daughter's local REC league than the USSSA team. There are a few teams in DSM that always seem to have issues but they are only a few and they have more to worry about than the umps. Overall the umps in DSM are good, just need to find ways to get younger ones. The biggest issue younger umps have is at times many seem to lose control of the game and are not confident in what they call.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
The only people who cared about his call were the coach and him. No kids were harmed with a guy being grabbed out of the bleachers to ump a bunch of turd-droppers...
I get it, but rules are rules. It'd be like a kid hitting a deep ball just left of the foul pole but giving him a homerun because "kids aren't supposed to hit it that far"

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Football would be the only sport I'd consider, partly for that reason, also because there are enough of you to diffuse the harassment.

Yeah, the crew definitely helps! Being on the sideline I get (or at least hear) most flack from the coaches. I tolerate a fair amount, but when it gets bad 1 flag typically stops it right away. Helps at the high school level that all coaches/athletes/fans are evaluated by each of us after every game.

Penguin

Aug 13, 2017
Ames
The amount of money people spend on youth sports is crazy. If you're doing it because your kid enjoys it, great. If you're doing it expecting a scholarship out of it, yikes.

It's funny on how many kids playing on youth travel teams end up quitting that sport in high school because they are burned out.

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
Someone told me that baseball is one of the few sports that could be almost completely refereed by AI/robotic tech. Could give that teenage ump a break, plus the robot could do this to the crazy parents...
1ea9X.gif

Reactions: VeloClone

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I get it, but rules are rules. It'd be like a kid hitting a deep ball just left of the foul pole but giving him a homerun because "kids aren't supposed to hit it that far"
I feel bad for the kid that was called out. What if that was the only homerun he ever hit? "ope, sorry kid. Centerfielder's throw and catcher's catch were better than your hit so I'm calling you out."

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I feel bad for the kid that was called out. What if that was the only homerun he ever hit? "ope, sorry kid. Centerfielder's throw and catcher's catch were better than your hit so I'm calling you out."
If he just forgot to tag him then it was a triple with an error. I think in my 3 years of little league I hit around 10 “home runs.” 2 were legit, the rest were just error fests.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
If he just forgot to tag him then it was a triple with an error. I think in my 3 years of little league I hit around 10 “home runs.” 2 were legit, the rest were just error fests.
Ok yeah if we're getting technical. But the kid doesn't care. Still would've counted to him.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The amount of money people spend on youth sports is crazy. If you're doing it because your kid enjoys it, great. If you're doing it expecting a scholarship out of it, yikes.

It's funny on how many kids playing on youth travel teams end up quitting that sport in high school because they are burned out.

Agreed. I played 3 sports in HS and I now have two small children. With the way youth sports are nowadays, I'm indifferent as to if they get involved. They need to be active and productive, but sports doesn't have to be the outlet for that.

I have a nephew who is in youth hockey (12 yrs old). For my brother and his wife, their sons hockey schedule is their life. They skip major family events (like Christmas) for hockey. My brother attends 3, 2 hr practices each week and all the games. Every weekend they're driving 2+ hrs for some tournament, sometimes 6+ hrs. Between hotel expenses, gas, gear (his son is a goalie), registrations, and food, my brother estimated he spends $5,000-$10,000 a year just on youth hockey. I get that many of these things are by choice, and to each their own. But to me, it does not make me interested in getting my kids involved in youth sports. I don't want my kids sports schedule to dictate life for the whole family.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think the league is at fault for allowing a 13 year old to even umpire a game. Just my thought as I have been through all ages little league as a coach and a volunteer. Parents are just awful. My son was involved with a play were the dad got involved with the umpire and then the mom came out. Some parents mentality are like that and those should be banned from attending the game. The person they hurt the worst is their kid.

As a volunteer umpire, I made my calls loud. This way it sent a message to parents that this guy means business, he is confident, and won't taking crap from anyone!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

These are the type of people most heavily breeding. Idiocracy is a real thing.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
This wasn’t the dad of a player from another team. This was the dad of one of my teammates heckling me.

As I recall, when I got to the on deck circle the next time, he shouted (10 feet from me): “hey 16, how about you try not to suck this time?”

This would have been an appropriate reaction, methinks:
melvin-ejim-flips-off-byu-crowd.gif

• Funny

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Agreed. I played 3 sports in HS and I now have two small children. With the way youth sports are nowadays, I'm indifferent as to if they get involved. They need to be active and productive, but sports doesn't have to be the outlet for that.

I have a nephew who is in youth hockey (12 yrs old). For my brother and his wife, their sons hockey schedule is their life. They skip major family events (like Christmas) for hockey. My brother attends 3, 2 hr practices each week and all the games. Every weekend they're driving 2+ hrs for some tournament, sometimes 6+ hrs. Between hotel expenses, gas, gear (his son is a goalie), registrations, and food, my brother estimated he spends $5,000-$10,000 a year just on youth hockey. I get that many of these things are by choice, and to each their own. But to me, it does not make me interested in getting my kids involved in youth sports. I don't want my kids sports schedule to dictate life for the whole family.

That's nothing. My nephews did hockey up through college. In Canada. BIL was easily spending $25k a year on that.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I recently got really into rock climbing and there are some young kids who are extremely good at the gym I climb at. I actually end up climbing with some of them as we share tips on how to solve problems. I think it's probably a lot more healthy for the mind and body than some of the youth sports competition. There are "leagues" and "teams" but it's much more you vs the wall or you vs the mountain. It's also much better exercise than every sport I've ever played except wrestling which is very similar in terms of the total body muscles used and stamina required. Every one of these kids age 8-18 I see climbing is in incredible shape like an elite wrestler would be and they got that way just by climbing around having fun challenging themselves.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I think the league is at fault for allowing a 13 year old to even umpire a game. Just my thought as I have been through all ages little league as a coach and a volunteer. Parents are just awful. My son was involved with a play were the dad got involved with the umpire and then the mom came out. Some parents mentality are like that and those should be banned from attending the game. The person they hurt the worst is their kid.

As a volunteer umpire, I made my calls loud. This way it sent a message to parents that this guy means business, he is confident, and won't taking crap from anyone!

The kids playing were 7. A 13 year old can handle a game of that nature.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron