giphy.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Props to that blonde woman. Guy in the teal shorts started back peddling after she took a swing at him for pushing another guy.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
And then we wonder why we can't get enough umpires and referees for youth sports...
The more advanced the level, the less crazy the fans are. Except soccer. They be crazy in soccer.

Seriously though, chill out. Your kid isn't the next Ken Griffey Jr. And even if they were, chill out.

Reactions: Halincandenza

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It didn't escalate to violence, but this spring at one of my eight year old's games a parent or relative of a kid on the other team started razzing the coaches, who were doubling as umps. After getting several looks from other parents and the coaches, he finally walked away after about five minutes. I just don't understand it. I mean, at that age I don't think they're even keeping score and seeing the kids turn a double play would be a legitimate miracle. At that age it's still not uncommon to see kids scoring inside the infield home runs. There are no stakes whatsoever other than let the kids have fun and do their best.

You have to assume people that pull crap like that have other problems, because there is zero reason to get that worked up over a damned little league game. Or any game, really.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I used to do quite a bit of youth and high school fast pitch softball. I quit two years ago because of parents. They're crazy and I'm actually thrilled that my daughter isn't interested in sports at all.

The last straw for me was I was doing a 12U game, I had the plate. Girl hits the first home run over the fence of her life and (rightfully) she and her teammates are over the moon excited. She runs the bases and as she's coming down the 3rd base line two of her teammates give her high fives and pat her on the back maybe 5 feet before she touches the plate. Now, by the strictest interpretation of the rule, she's out for 'assisting the runner'. I didn't even pay attention to it because 1) they're 12 and still learning and 2) I'm not taking that away from that girl.

Game gets over the team that hit the home run won by 6 or 7, so it wasn't close and I walk around the fence to a mother in my face screaming at me about how that girl should have been out and that I cost them the game because that would have changed the momentum. F bombs, nasty insults, threats, the whole deal. Just asinine behavior that we wouldn't let toddlers throwing temper tantrums exhibit.

Another fun fact, there are now state and regional rankings for softball travel teams starting at 8U. You hear parents talking about how the next game is a big one, it's against the #7 team in the Midwest. Its disgraceful that an adult is taking time and trying to put stakes on softball for kids that are just trying to have fun and learn the game. We wonder why high school sports participation is way down and why we can't find officials? We're burning kids out by the time they're 12 and its 100% on parents and anybody else trying to make a quick buck off running tournaments and leagues.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I literally coach a team of 7 year olds in Ankeny Little League. By the time the 2nd or 3rd inning rolls around, 100% of their focus is on the post game snack.

I pitch to them. There is no ump. We both allowed a double play and forced a double play in the last game (runners didn't tag on a caught fly) and both times I ran around high stepping and yelling like I just saw Vince Carter's 2000 Dunk Contest because getting a single out is an accomplishment.

The next level (where they start having the kids pitch) is even better. Unless it's a kid with a lot of natural ability most of them struggle to put the ball over the plate more than once every three or four pitches. But after four balls there was no walk, the coach would step in and pitch the rest of the at-bat. My son figured it out after the first game or two that all he had to do was take pitches until the coach took over and he'd see some good ones to hit. The bat never even left his shoulder until the coach stepped in.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I will need to see an instant replay to see if the 13 year old made the right call to determine if the 7 year old was out at first base and see if that warrented a fight.