Travel Tips: Glacier National Park

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Seeking any advice from anyone who has been to Glacier. Staying in Kalispell for a week in July. Particularly interested in hiking tips but any places to eat, things to do/avoid is great. Thanks in advance, CF.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I was there a couple years ago but only for 2 nights. BIG mistake. Should have stayed 2 weeks or even months.

Only special thing I can think of is do the hike to Avalanche lake. Remote. Beautiful.

Watch out for bears, they are serious about that.

Kalispell is GORGEOUS but only drove thru it.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I wanna ride the motorcycle up there so badly. Of course I would have to be able to get away from work for a week.

• Agree
Reactions: Tri4Cy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I was there a couple years ago but only for 2 nights. BIG mistake. Should have stayed 2 weeks or even months.

Only special thing I can think of is do the hike to Avalanche lake. Remote. Beautiful.

Watch out for bears, they are serious about that.

Kalispell is GORGEOUS but only drove thru it.
What are you to do if you see a bear out there on a trail other than show them a picture of Adam Woodbury?

But seriously, what do they tell you to do?

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What are you to do if you see a bear out there on a trail other than show them a picture of Adam Woodbury?

But seriously, what do they tell you to do?
When I've been hiking in bear country they have said to make sure you are noisy enough that you never see the bear. Some even wear bells so they make plenty of noise while they hike. They will generally leave you alone if they hear you and they move on. When you are in the most trouble is when you startle them - so leave the Woodbury pic at home.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Get there really early if you want to park at Logan's pass. The parking lot fills up fast. Or take the shuttles up there instead of your car.

Hungry Horse dam is worth stopping at briefly near glacier too.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY and merx

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Haven't been to Glacier, but one of my coworkers said the following about NPs and such

1) Get going early. I did this when visiting Arches and the difference between 7 am and 10 am crowds was readily apprent (and this was in offseason)
2) Try and find the non paved road trailheads. Those trails will probably be less busy.
3) Be self sufficient (don't assume the visitor center or lodge will have something).
4) Leave No Trace
5) If the Park is slammed, see if there is a national forest nearby. They often have the same general scenery (if not better), with fewer people. The national forests do tend to operate on 'Big Boy' rules (i.e., you're pretty much on your own, don't expect much in the way of luxuries).

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1 and Tri4Cy

merx

Sep 6, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Lets see, as someone who has now lived here for several years, I don't want to give away all the secrets, but...
  • Head up to the North Fork for a day trip, road is gravel most of the way, be sure to stop at the Polebridge Mercantile for a Huckleberry Bear Claw, and then continue to Bowman Lake
  • When they say real early to get a parking spot at Logan Pass, try shortly after dawn, it seems to get worse every summer,
  • Many Glacier is worth the trip some great hiking over there,
  • Favorite hike would be, Avalanche and Hidden Lake but they can get busy, Huckleberry Lookout is good hike less crowded and not to far off the beaten path.
  • Bear spray can be rented in Apgar Village for your hike, but main thing is to be loud keep talking, maybe sing, the idea is to not surprise a bear.
  • Spend some time in Whitefish, you can take the lift to the top of the Whitefish Mountain, great local shops, lots of galleries and good restuarants.
  • Sweet Peaks Ice Cream is a must, (in Kalispell or Whitefish)
  • Mud Man Burgers in Columbia Falls, or Kalispell for a good burger,
  • I enjoy Craggy Range for a good dinner in Whitefish.
  • Coffee at Montana Coffee Traders
  • Breakfast at LouLa's in Whitefish or Echo Lake Cafe in Bigfork
  • If you like whiskey stop in Coram at the distillery, if you have kids they can race go-carts and bumper boats next door.
  • If you are staying in Kalispell I would suggest driving to south to Lakeside to see Flathead Lake and grabbing lunch and a beer at Tamarack Brewery.
  • My top three breweries for the beer in the Flathead Valley;
  1. Bonsai in Whitefish
  2. Kalispell Brewing
  3. SunRift in Kalispell

merx

Sep 6, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Haven't been to Glacier, but one of my coworkers said the following about NPs and such

1) Get going early. I did this when visiting Arches and the difference between 7 am and 10 am crowds was readily apprent (and this was in offseason)
2) Try and find the non paved road trailheads. Those trails will probably be less busy.
3) Be self sufficient (don't assume the visitor center or lodge will have something).
4) Leave No Trace
5) If the Park is slammed, see if there is a national forest nearby. They often have the same general scenery (if not better), with fewer people. The national forests do tend to operate on 'Big Boy' rules (i.e., you're pretty much on your own, don't expect much in the way of luxuries).

There are National Forest all around the park, great hiking along the southern edge of the park in the Flathead National Forest, also along the North Fork Road. Jewel Basin (in National Forest) is great place to go down by Bigfork, get breakfast at Echo Lake Cafe then head up the mountain to Jewel Basin.

Also saw somebody mentioned Hungry Horse Dam, there are some good hikes if you continue across the dam, in the Flathead National Forest.

There is also some good rafting on the Middle Fork, raft companies can be found around the West Glacier area.

Reactions: isutrevman

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
There are National Forest all around the park, great hiking along the southern edge of the park in the Flathead National Forest, also along the North Fork Road. Jewel Basin (in National Forest) is great place to go down by Bigfork, get breakfast at Echo Lake Cafe then head up the mountain to Jewel Basin.

Also saw somebody mentioned Hungry Horse Dam, there are some good hikes if you continue across the dam, in the Flathead National Forest.

There is also some good rafting on the Middle Fork, raft companies can be found around the West Glacier area.

It's a long dusty ride up to Jewel Basin. Beautiful once you get there, but not the easiet place to access.

• Agree
Reactions: merx

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
We do glacier annually - one of our favorite parks.

Many Glacier has great hikes, great scenery and we've never NOT seen grizzlies. IT does take longer to drive there.

From Logan Pass there are lots of GREAT hikes. The iconic is the garden wall hike that can take you to a back-country chalet that burned down a few years ago. Gunsight Pass and Piegan Pass are 2 great hikes from that area.

Never hiked with bells or spray. Will NEVER hike with bells ("experts" say they don't make enough noise) but will likely start with the bear spray just because I'm no longer the fastest one in the group. I had a friend mauled by a grizzly 20-ish years ago. Scary story and he only received 20 stitches!

Reactions: merx and isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Yes, there is tons of good hiking in the area outside of Glacier Park if you don't want to fight the crowd or drive up to Logan's pass every day.

Glacier has a lot of peaks that can be climbed with no climbing gear as well. Oberlin peak and Reynold's peak are accessible from Logan's Pass and you get a lot of bang for your buck with those, and avoid the crowds that tend to be on other trails like Avalanche or the high-line trail. Oberlin can be done by people that almost never hike and aren't in great shape. Reynold's is a little more strenuous but you probably can't get a better view for a 5-6 hour rounds trip hike. Both of those hikes, but especially Reynold's, can be difficult to find the trail at times so do some research before hand. Most of the path can be seen from Google Earth. I'm guessing only a handful of groups go up Reynold's each day, so its a good one to get away from the crowd.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
@merx has great advice. We stayed in Whitefish so my recommendations are centered there. The zip lining at Whitefish Mountain was pretty awesome. Bonsai had the best beer in area. Glacier Distillery was bueno. Try huckleberry everything. If you do one hike, make it to Avalanche Lake - maybe the most beautiful place I've ever been. I'd also recommend the drive to Waterton Lakes and try the poutine at Zum's.

• Agree

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We do glacier annually - one of our favorite parks.

Many Glacier has great hikes, great scenery and we've never NOT seen grizzlies. IT does take longer to drive there.

From Logan Pass there are lots of GREAT hikes. The iconic is the garden wall hike that can take you to a back-country chalet that burned down a few years ago. Gunsight Pass and Piegan Pass are 2 great hikes from that area.

Never hiked with bells or spray. Will NEVER hike with bells ("experts" say they don't make enough noise) but will likely start with the bear spray just because I'm no longer the fastest one in the group. I had a friend mauled by a grizzly 20-ish years ago. Scary story and he only received 20 stitches!

Did you have crazy mnt snowfall in Montana this year? I still can’t hike/backpack/camp my favorite spots in central CA Sierras above 7000 feet. Place I wanted to go this weekend still feet of slush that can’t even be snowshoed.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Last edited:
  • Agree

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I have a friend who guides trips in Glacier June to August PM me. He does not suggest carrying bacon in your pockets:

200w.webp