ISU Student and Champion Golfer Celia Barquin Arozamena Murdered at Coldwater Golf Course

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't know what public defenders make in Iowa, but I know a 5 year one in Colorado makes in the 60-70k range and will often have a case load above 70 without getting paid overtime. And a lot do it because it's consistent with their ideals.

An in-law of mine is a public defender in Minnesota who only works on cases appealed to the Minnesota State Supreme Court for instances of gross miscarriage of justice.

Said relative could be pulling down $150,000+ easily in private practice.

...but instead, as one of the top public defenders in the state, makes like $72,000. The lifestyle and feeling that you are doing some good for the world is worth the difference.

Some of that involves defending homicidal manics, but the veracity of their guilt is rarely in question with these cases. It is more about seeing the law properly applied and procedures properly followed, which we should all favor even for the most heinous of criminals. Jeffrey Dahmer and Ted Bundy deserved what they were legally owed, too.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: dirtyninety and Doc

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
This is a case where I wish Iowa had capital punishment. Life in prison is to good for this piece of ****.

Life in prison is certainly a leap up from what he had. This is a guy that was living in a tent in the woods who didn't know where his next meal would come from. Now he has a bed in a climate controlled building, a shower and a toilet, 3 meals a day, cable tv, and many other things. Compared to how he was living, prison will be like a five star hotel. All he had to do to get this was murder an innocent person.
Iowa 100% needs the death penalty.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Life in prison is certainly a leap up from what he had. This is a guy that was living in a tent in the woods who didn't know where his next meal would come from. Now he has a bed in a climate controlled building, a shower and a toilet, 3 meals a day, cable tv, and many other things. Compared to how he was living, prison will be like a five star hotel. All he had to do to get this was murder an innocent person.
Yes, prison is awesome. :rolleyes:

Reactions: WooBadger18

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Yes, prison is awesome. :rolleyes:
Prison in Iowa isn't the same as prison in California, Texas, or Florida. Homeless individuals have limited things that are automatics in their lives. Individuals in prison have all your basic needs and plus they can get a lot of privileges as long as they behave.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

I do not think prison is like you think it is. I also don’t think living homeless is as you think it is.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
We absolutely do not need the death penalty. If we bring back the death penalty, innocent people will be executed. Full Stop. The emotional satisfaction that we get from killing people is not worth putting innocent people to death.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to

buddy ive been 2 prison. its not a ramada inn

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
We absolutely do not need the death penalty. If we bring back the death penalty, innocent people will be executed. Full Stop. The emotional satisfaction that we get from killing people is not worth putting innocent people to death.

I think in cut and dried cases such as this there needs to be the option for the death penalty. I agree on the execution of innocents though.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I think in cut and dried cases such as this there needs to be the option for the death penalty. I agree on the execution of innocents though.
The problem, in part, becomes how you define "cut and dried cases". There have been some convictions of innocent defendants who appeared to be quite guilty given the technology available at the time of trial. I don't know that there is a better system, but our system undeniably does result in the conviction of innocent defendants on occasion (the percentage is not exceptionally high, thank God, but one is too many if that one was killed as a result of a wrongful conviction).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron