Friday OT: Bring Out Your Dad

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
"If I laughed and made someone else laugh, then I had a good day" - my favorite thing he ever taught me

"About 80% of the things you learn in college should have nothing to do with a class" - growing up in a pretty sheltered small town, this rung incredibly true

"If you have to swear, that means you're not smart enough to think of a better word" - growing up, he very rarely swore, but sows in our farrowing barns would occasionally bring out the Sam Kinison in him.

And, at any given moment, Dad would break out into song singing "Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way".

This reminded me of another of my Dad's quotes - "If you can't laugh at work, then you need to find another job."

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Unfortunately, my dad passed away when I was 18 so not a lot to go off on. That was 36 years ago. The only one I can remember was learning how to drive an automatic after driving manual shift tractors for 9 years. Yes, was driving a tractor 7 years old.

"If I ever see you brake with your left foot, I will cut it off!" Talk about scared straight!!

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
"Nothing good happens after dark or in reverse"

and also when dropping off for school/ going to work "play nice with the other children"

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
When I was young, my father always used to tell us, before school, "Act like SOMEBODY, today." It was always the last thing I heard on my way out the door before getting on the bus.
Growing up, I always used to think about what it meant. "Don't be a Nobody. Be SOMEBODY." I always found it inspiring. An unique little nugget I carried with me, encouraging me to do right and be honorable. And more than that, it just felt good to have my father impart such good wisdom to me. Made me feel special.

Then when I was on college, I was home on break or something, and I was sitting around with my dad, and he was watching Andy Griffith, as he often did. And Andy was getting Opie off to school. And the last thing he said to him as he walked out the door? "Hey Ope, act like SOMEBODY today!"

No words were exchanged between my father and I. We both knew.

Clone Head

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2018
Vancouver, WA
My dad had Alzheimer's in his later years and during a couple of visits he said a few things I had never heard before.

On one visit I told him I was changing the modem in my computer, he replied " modem is short for modulation-demodulation." He was an electrical engineer, I had no idea modem was a combination of two separate words.

On another visit I mentioned a gallon of water weighs 8 pounds. He replied "A pint is a pound the world around."

His short term memory was gone but his long term memory was well in tact.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
When I was young, my father always used to tell us, before school, "Act like SOMEBODY, today." It was always the last thing I heard on my way out the door before getting on the bus.
Growing up, I always used to think about what it meant. "Don't be a Nobody. Be SOMEBODY." I always found it inspiring. An unique little nugget I carried with me, encouraging me to do right and be honorable. And more than that, it just felt good to have my father impart such good wisdom to me. Made me feel special.

Then when I was on college, I was home on break or something, and I was sitting around with my dad, and he was watching Andy Griffith, as he often did. And Andy was getting Opie off to school. And the last thing he said to him as he walked out the door? "Hey Ope, act like SOMEBODY today!"

No words were exchanged between my father and I. We both knew.

It was still good advice he just passed it on.;)

• Agree
Reactions: Mr Janny

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
"Nothing good happens after dark or in reverse"

and also when dropping off for school/ going to work "play nice with the other children"

My dad's was similar "Nothing good happens after midnite." That also was us kid's curfew all thru High School. In college it became come home whenever you want but your still getting up at 5 to work.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I will use some of my old man's phrases, much to my wife's amusements.
"It's raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock."

One of the phrases that really sticks with me (but I don't use) is the one the old man used to use when backing things up.
"I don't have eyes in my a**h$%&."
This was often used while backing up trailers with the old '57 Case.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My first post focused on practicality, dad-advice (or "dad-vice," if you prefer) that he espoused through the year.

But almost as often, he could crack me up with an out-of-the-blue trivial observation.

Rndom example: Many years ago, I was riding in the pickup with him during a "trip to town." As we approached the FIrestone tire shop, he pointed at the sign and said, "Look — it's, 'Fearest One.'"

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My father taught me how to strip threads and break bolts off. "Tight is good, tighter is better." Spent a good deal of time unlearning that. :rolleyes:

Driving advice was always "Look out for the other guy". So frequently stated that it was mentioned in a eulogy at my dad's funeral. I don't have much cause to use it but my nieces have heard it a thousand times from my sister. ;)

Never have repeated the wake up call to anyone since I am still not a morning person and am NEVER up before anyone else. Was always "Raise and shine. The sun is in the swamp!" Accompanied by a sing songish whistle.

Reactions: cyclones500

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was probably 9 or 10 years old and my dad asked me to drive the pickup from field to field, behind the tractor. We went 12 mph and only like 5 or 6 miles, tops.

I was so excited, came home, told mom.

A few weeks later, my dad wanted me to drive the pickup again, similar deal. He told me that we didn't have to tell mom this time.

It all made sense to me some years later :D

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Stay away from those dam bohemians. They are always fighting, if someone new walks in they will stop fighting and all beat you up, throw you out and then go back to fighting with themselves. Wish I would have understood that sooner before I ended up right next to bohemian central.

They are insufferable.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
"Turn the bleeping lights on. Can't see a damn thing in here."

The garage, the basement, the kitchen, the living room, wherever. 65 years later and the house is always lit up light a Christmas tree. He would chuck flashlights under a car I was working on even if I already had one.

"That wouldn't have happened if you were wearing your bleeping shoes."

I've definitely inherited that one. The wife insists on doing physical chores wearing flip flops. Constantly stubbing her toe, kicking something, dropping something on her foot. I wear shoes from the moment I get out of the shower in the morning until it's time to hit the sack.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron