Friday OT: Bring Out Your Dad

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
@Angie is temporarily occupied, so I’ll take the wheel this week and try to keep the car on the road.

Father’s Day is Sunday. (Yes, it’s an actual holiday. Who knew?!)

Anyway: What are some things your dad has said through the years, and you find yourself uttering something similar, perhaps without realizing it. Not limited to “words of wisdom," but any ol’ thing he commonly says (or said), and you’ve carried on the tradition.

Last week’s FOTs:

Reactions: Angie and cyowan

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Not necessarily an exact repeat, but I am the oldest of 4 kids - 3 boys, 1 girl. My dad would always say things to me like, "Ctown, of all the sons I have, you're one of them" and "Ctown, you're the son that made me a father."

I've changed those expressions when talking about my kids (1 boy, 4.5 years old; 1 girl, 1 year old). "MiniCtown, you're the best son in the whole house!" He turns it around on me and says, "You're the best Dad in the whole house!"

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
giphy.gif

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Another thing that has stuck with me evolved from him making fun of one of his partners. This particular partner would say something like, "I had to go in to work at 3 AM in the morning", which is redundant. So my dad started saying things like that when we were around him, and it was kind of like our little inside joke. We still do that, even though that guy left town 25 years ago.

Reactions: Angie

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
First of all, love the thread title. Well done. Made me think of:
giphy.gif

OK, to answer the question, there are so many lines I use of his. Here are a few I thought off right away.

"Well, that was the program for today." (after something happened, usually when wildlife was involved)
"Be proud of what you shoot." (always said on our way out into the woods hunting, but I realized this was good for all sorts of other things in life, too)
"Keep your powder dry."
"Was you der, Charlie?" (said during card games to his partner, usually needing help)
"Junk on the bunk" (inspection time, this probably came from his days in the Marine Corps)

Reactions: cyclones500

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My father wrote amazing weekly letters to me when I was in college. By the end of my first semester word had spread, and half my floor would show up to hear me read it. But the one that has stuck with me the most is the very first one, which I still have in a box somewhere downstairs.
It read:
My dearest daughter -
DON'T!

If I think of anything else, I'll send another letter.

I love you -
Dad

He was far more verbose after the first one. :D

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Getting everyone up in the morning - "Let's go; daylight's burning!"

Asked how close were to a destination on a long road trip - "We're conquering miles!"
That first one is similar to a John Wayne quote from "The Cowboys" - "We're burning daylight!"

My hubby started using that after I introduced him to the movie. :D

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
From my dad's "advice glossary," subcategory "somewhere you've gotta be." I don't repeat these much, but they're ingrained in me.

* "Leave a little time on the other end." Gist: On the surface, it suggests "arrive earlier than necessary," but actually, it's departing early enough to account for delays you don't expect. (I strive for this, but have failed numerous times)

* "The sooner we go, the sooner we'll get back." Gist: I don't really want to go, but I'm obligated, might as well get it out of the way).

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
"If I laughed and made someone else laugh, then I had a good day" - my favorite thing he ever taught me

"About 80% of the things you learn in college should have nothing to do with a class" - growing up in a pretty sheltered small town, this rung incredibly true

"If you have to swear, that means you're not smart enough to think of a better word" - growing up, he very rarely swore, but sows in our farrowing barns would occasionally bring out the Sam Kinison in him.

And, at any given moment, Dad would break out into song singing "Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way".

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
My father wrote amazing weekly letters to me when I was in college. By the end of my first semester word had spread, and half my floor would show up to hear me read it. But the one that has stuck with me the most is the very first one, which I still have in a box somewhere downstairs.
It read:
My dearest daughter -
DON'T!

If I think of anything else, I'll send another letter.

I love you -
Dad

He was far more verbose after the first one. :D

I'll bet your dad was really cool.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman