WNBA: Bridget Carleton and general WNBA stuff

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thought I'd start a new thread to follow Carleton and the WNBA. Posted in WBB rather than Pro Forum since it makes more sense to me since the WBB fans are here in this forum. Might reduce the "but I hate women's sports" posts.

Randoms:

Bridget has still not played in a game. :(

Jessica Shepard of the Lynx went down with what looks like maybe a bad knee injury yesterday after playing 25 minutes. :( MRI today.

The Sun fans hardily booed ex-Sun Chiney Ogwumike the entire game the other day. Classy. :oops: Supposedly she was ready to walk away from the WNBA this season and pursue her ESPN career. Who would blame her, she can maybe make real money doing that. Sun traded her to LA where ESPN studio LA is literally across the street from the arena. I get fans maybe thinking this trade was "forced" but otherwise she wasn't going to play anyway and you won't have gotten a 1st round draft choice in return. Not impressed with those fans.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Thought I'd start a new thread to follow Carleton and the WNBA. Posted in WBB rather than Pro Forum since it makes more sense to me since the WBB fans are here in this forum. Might reduce the "but I hate women's sports" posts.

I

Randoms:

Bridget has still not played in a game. :(

Jessica Shepard of the Lynx went down with what looks like maybe a bad knee injury yesterday after playing 25 minutes. :( MRI today.

The Sun fans hardily booed ex-Sun Chiney Ogwumike the entire game the other day. Classy. :oops: Supposedly she was ready to walk away from the WNBA this season and pursue her ESPN career. Who would blame her, she can maybe make real money doing that. Sun traded her to LA where ESPN studio LA is literally across the street from the arena. I get fans maybe thinking this trade was "forced" but otherwise she wasn't going to play anyway and you won't have gotten a 1st round draft choice in return. Not impressed with those fans.

I dunno....having a star player saying trade me to LA so I can play with my sister, or I'll quit and get signed as a free agent is a pretty douche move if you ask me. Delle Donne screwed over Chicago that way too who was going to hire a lawyer to challenge collective bargaining rights. WNBA teams need more control over their top draft choices.

• Agree
Reactions: mwwbbfan

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Megan Gustafson re-signed with Dallas last week so she is in the WNBA now. Just saw this in an article kinda lambasting them for cutting her in the first place and not investing in their draft since they are in a rebuilding phase anyway. Of course, I am in Minnesota and this was probably news in Iowa.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
I dunno....having a star player saying trade me to LA so I can play with my sister, or I'll quit and get signed as a free agent is a pretty douche move if you ask me. Delle Donne screwed over Chicago that way too who was going to hire a lawyer to challenge collective bargaining rights. WNBA teams need more control over their top draft choices.

I think the lower salaries actually makes it easier for players to force moves like this. Cambage did the same think, though I think she was stuck in Tulsa so I don’t blame her.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think the lower salaries actually makes it easier for players to force moves like this. Cambage did the same think, though I think she was stuck in Tulsa so I don’t blame her.

Agree, if the teams want more control they need to pay better. They can't have it both ways.

I actually think the NBA would like to kill the league based on their lack of effort as a league to promote. Decent PR here locally because the Wolves and Lynx share management and promotional staff that seems to know what they are doing. Also smart enough to get some local interest by getting Whalen to play for them.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Sunday, the Chicago Sky started the game hot, and continued to play well, and the Connecticut Sun couldn't answer.

The Sky are doing better this year than I suspected, and they can play really fast on offense with Vandersloot pushing and dishing the ball. They can also move the ball around beautifully.

Bridget got to play the whole 4th quarter Sunday. She looked pretty good on both ends of the floor, had some great assist passes that other players missed their shot. The one thing I did notice was some of her normal 3 point shots she used to take with confidence, she was hesitant to take. I was so hopeful I'd get to witness her first WNBA points, but she missed all her shots she took.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Bridget got to play the whole 4th quarter Sunday. She looked pretty good on both ends of the floor, had some great assist passes that other players missed their shot. The one thing I did notice was some of her normal 3 point shots she used to take with confidence, she was hesitant to take. I was so hopeful I'd get to witness her first WNBA points, but she missed all her shots she took.
Thanks for the summary - I hope Bridget has left a legacy for her teammates to imitate, like:
1. Playing with joy and enthusiasm
2. Playing with a physicality and not minding contact, even initiating it; and not looking to the refs for calls
3. Effort at all times and striving to reach all of her potential

Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
they waived Bridget to bring back Natasha Heidman who is more of a point guard. Losing Clarendon forced the move.

It's a tough business if you are the 12 on a roster of only 12 with only 12 teams and the team you are on is competing and not building. Little like Lacey as #12 and behind Sue Bird. :(

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Don't know about egging but the guy who was mocking Gustafson more than celebrating Carleton after the opening day rosters were announced has a little egg on his face. :oops:

Going to Chicago Sky game today and they will be playing Dallas. I expect to see a whole bunch of black and gold as Iowa wbb ran a huge promotion and a bus for tickets to support Megan. Too bad ISU didn't do this while Bridget was playing.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Going to Chicago Sky game today and they will be playing Dallas. I expect to see a whole bunch of black and gold as Iowa wbb ran a huge promotion and a bus for tickets to support Megan. Too bad ISU didn't do this while Bridget was playing.

We don't do much of that. I tried when Allison Lacy was playing. Got a handful of fans but really no interest from Ames. IIRC most of the WBB admin was at a wedding of a former player or something. Also did one for Monte when he was playing the Wolves this winter. Again almost nobody came and little interest in promoting it in Iowa. Timberwolves ticket guy came down to chat with me and didn't have any trouble picking me out of the section as the lone Cyclone guy. We travel well as a fan base to see our teams, not much interest I've ever seen in doing the same for alumni players.

Last edited: