Ballast Point is Dying

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Good beer. Always way overpriced. I only ever bought it on sale.

Waiting to see what other fatalities the industry sees. I'd expect that we're going to see a lot more regionalization of brands as there is some regional loyalty (for me - Surly, Bent Paddle, Summit, etc make up 75% of what I buy).

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Good beer. Always way overpriced. I only ever bought it on sale.

Waiting to see what other fatalities the industry sees. I'd expect that we're going to see a lot more regionalization of brands as there is some regional loyalty (for me - Surly, Bent Paddle, Summit, etc make up 75% of what I buy).

The survivors may be the ones who can endure a prolonged period of discounted prices.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I don't think that beer is dying that sounds extreme. I do think there is a market correction going on though. TONS of breweries have opened up in the last several years and with the high capital cost and lots of competition a chunk of them were bound to fail. I still think there will be plenty of breweries around and it should leave a good product.

I don't mind breweries trying new crazy things. It is fun to try different stuff. Some of it is bad and some of it is good. I also think some breweries are really good at whipping out new recipes and others struggle so once you learn that it is easier to try new things. Most breweries still have their flagship beers that are always around so there is always something to go to if you aren't feeling adventurous.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
One thing that has been overlooked so far is the explosion of popularity in whiskey - particularly in bourbon in the US. This is certainly having an impact on beer sales. I myself used to only drink craft beer but now drink whiskey 99% of the time and maybe only a couple cans of local brew a month now. There are dozens of people in my local whiskey group with the same story.

People who were traditionally craft beer aficianados (those looking for experiences of maximum flavor and uniqueness and willing to pay $10-20 for a 4 or 6 pack for it) have been switching over to aged spirits en masse over the last several years as they've learned that even greater levels of flavor concentration and variation exist there, plus there are no carbs and you don't have to worry about your bottles staying fresh.

Then there are those in groups that have already been mentioned who were into craft beer when it was hot, but now that cocktail culture, seltzers and RTD's are hot, they're just hopping over to the next fad, looking for less caloric options, etc.

Finally, also already mentioned, the proliferation of local microbreweries is having a huge impact on regional and national craft beer brands. I used to buy Founders, Stone, Boulevard, etc but now there are 7 breweries within a 20 mile radius of me, plus a dozen more in the state like TG, Single Speed, Big Grove, on and on and on. For anyone with even a glimmer of support-local-businesses mindset, there is literally no reason to ever buy a beer not from a local brewery, no matter what style you're looking for.

• Agree
Reactions: Walden4Prez

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Also mj being legal in 11 states must affect alcohol sales a bit.

Yes, it has definitely changed consumption habits in the legal state. The large wine and spirits distribution companies are all investing in it to hopefully offset the huge dip in sales that are projected as more states come on board.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Literally nobody in this thread has said "just drink Coors."

Without Coors, there would be no Smokey and the Bandit.

Come to think of it, Coors would probably be like some of these craft beers that you can't get everywhere. Since you couldn't get it, people wanted it. My grandpa would bring back cases for his friends when he went on trips out there before you could buy it in Iowa.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Without Coors, there would be no Smokey and the Bandit.

Come to think of it, Coors would probably be like some of these craft beers that you can't get everywhere. Since you couldn't get it, people wanted it. My grandpa would bring back cases for his friends when he went on trips out there before you could buy it in Iowa.

My father in law talks about it all the time. That stuff was liquid gold. Honestly though, if we didn't have Coors what would we drink at banquets?

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Everything that has been touched on in this thread are issues I deal with on a daily basis as a buyer. As much as I want to continue to support these regional and national brands, my consumers don't want it. The Charlotte market, which is growing rapidly in both population and breweries, has become intensely protective of the local products. People want new, fresh and local. Luckily, I have plenty of taps to work with so I continue to support guys like Cigar City, Sweetwater, Founders and Allagash, but they also tend to last for longer periods of time. This is becoming the norm in larger cities and Constellation is doing a horrible job of helping BP and Funky Buddha. All they give a **** about is their Mexican brands. At least ABI gives their "craft" some support.

As for the seltzer craze, I now have a dedicated line for it. Chicks want it and chicks bring in more guys. CANarchy brands jumped on the bandwagon and have seen overall sales increase. I don't see it as a fad. People want low-cal, low-abv options and this a great option.

• Informative
Reactions: dmclone and Cycsk

Help Support Us

Become a patron