Cy Hawk Rivalry

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Bigger than State Fair or RAGBRAI?

Bigger than RAGBRAI. Sure. Not even close.

Bigger than the State Fair. Maybe not in total numbers of people involved on one day, but it is close. However, there is not the overall excitement about the State Fair that you get for the in-state rivalry game. And I think the State Fair numbers include attendance for the evening concert which is really its own event.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Bigger than the State Fair. Maybe not in total numbers of people involved on one day, but it is close. However, there is not the overall excitement about the State Fair that you get for the in-state rivalry game. And I think the State Fair numbers include attendance for the evening concert which is really its own event.

Attendance is scanned tickets and you have to have a ticket to get into the fairgrounds.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
You never defined "biggest event". Attendance? Exchange of money? Lost hours of productivity? Altered schedules due to the event?

What metrics are you using to define "biggest"?

Feel free to define "biggest" for yourself. Most of the argument on this site comes down to assumed definitions. I don't really care if anyone else thinks something else is "bigger" than the in-state rivalry game. It is certainly "big enough" to keep it. And it would be a huge loss to not have it.

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010

I think you’re looking at these events through your own lens. The State Fair is a huge event that many people look forward to and prepare for all year. Well over a million people attended last year I believe. The Iowa/Iowa State game is another football game. A big game but a football game.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I think you’re looking at these events through your own lens. The State Fair is a huge event that many people look forward to and prepare for all year. Well over a million people attended last year I believe. The Iowa/Iowa State game is another football game. A big game but a football game.

2 million+ watched the football game. how many went to Iowa City for the game? 80k-100k?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
So if you’re counting television viewers of the football game are you going to count the untold millions who watched the state fair wrapup show on PBS?

(seriously before I get jumped this post was sarcasm)

Tens of elevens people watch it

• Agree
Reactions: Dr.bannedman

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Not necessarily our biggest game, but the biggest event in the state. The Texas game late in the season will be a much bigger game with more at stake in terms of college football. The in-state rivalry game is just that, an in-state rivalry event.
It's our biggest game - against the team we least want to lose to. Let's not try to minimize it - in order to prepare for a possible loss.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It's our biggest game - against the team we least want to lose to. Let's not try to minimize it - in order to prepare for a possible loss.

Half right, we do not want to lose to Iowa, but its not anywhere near our biggest game of the year. First its a nonconference game, so losing it does not bother us conference wise. Its only important for bragging rights within the state, and the ability to talk crap to friends of the other fan base. OU and Texas are bigger games, and I would take a win over either of them and a loss to Iowa any day.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I'll respectfully disagree that it's our biggest game of the season. The conference games are bigger IMO. I'll openly admit that a loss to Iowa stings more, than losing to Tx or OU.

• Agree
Reactions: Arkansas Cyclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Tens of elevens people watch it
dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I would prefer a win over Texas or Oklahoma instead of the hoks, but I dearly love seeing their team and fans just CRUSHED over being beaten by their big brother. Yes, we are the big brother now. Hoks are the baby brothers now.

Reactions: NWICY

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
So if you’re counting television viewers of the football game are you going to count the untold millions who watched the state fair wrapup show on PBS?

(seriously before I get jumped this post was sarcasm)

They really knock the Clogger coverage at Pioneer Hall out of the park!

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The hypocrisy of our fan base trying to downplay the Cyhawk game... We used to rag on Iowa fans for doing he same thing but here we are... The ******* game means a ton to both sides, why cheapen the rivalry?!?!

Nobody is downplaying the game, we are just saying its not the most important game on the schedule for either team. OU and Texas are both bigger games, because they are conference games and both school will ranked higher than Iowa when we play. The Iowa game is important for three reasons, 1. improve instate recruiting, 2, get a win for Campbell in the series, and last ability to talk smack to the Iowa fan base, relatives and friends that support the Hoks.

The game is at home, I think we will win this year, but its not anywhere near the most important game of the year, not even close.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy and OldEagle

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron