Ballast Point is Dying

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
A hard seltzer is literally flavored seltzer water with alcohol in them.

RTD's (Ready to Drink) are cocktails that are premixed and ready for consumption.

Yep these are all the wife buys for herself. They aren't terrible

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Victory at Sea and Sculpin are both legendary mainstream beers. They are too expensive compared to what you can NOW get locally. With that said, when I go to SD I always visit their taprooms. For me, if I'm going to pick a mainstream beer, I'm probably going to choose Two Hearted instead.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
I really don't get the obsession with always needing something new. I will try new things because I might like them but those will be few and far between. Give me a really good beer, at a good price and I will drink a good amount.

New is not better but then again I have a lot of German heritage and their beers are like 500 years old.

I'm in this camp. I will drink anything but don't need the milkshake sour hazy whatever. Blvd unfiltered beer was one of my gateway beers but its crazy now.

But I am screwed for now, beer in NI sucks for the most part. Guiness (but fresh) and lagers. Not much for distro from the good breweries in England. So I started trying whiskeys and turns out whiskey helps with weight loss.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
For all those saying "just drink coors". It's kind of like cars. Some people are happy driving their good old reliable Buick for 10 years straight. For me, I like to drive a Ferrari California, followed by a Dodge Challenger Hellcat, followed by a Tesla Models S.....

Yes, I'm paying more but the beer tastes better and they are not in the same league. Plus the beers I drink usually have 2-3 times the alcohol content so I don't drink as much. I'd much rather drink 3 cans of Bell's Two Hearted than 6 Bud Lights.

• Agree
Reactions: Bewilderme

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I'm in this camp. I will drink anything but don't need the milkshake sour hazy whatever. Blvd unfiltered beer was one of my gateway beers but its crazy now.

But I am screwed for now, beer in NI sucks for the most part. Guiness (but fresh) and lagers. Not much for distro from the good breweries in England. So I started trying whiskeys and turns out whiskey helps with weight loss.

No calories in whiskey. An approved Keto diet drink :D

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
For all those saying "just drink coors". It's kind of like cars. Some people are happy driving their good old reliable Buick for 10 years straight. For me, I like to drive a Ferrari California, followed by a Dodge Challenger Hellcat, followed by a Tesla Models S.....

Yes, I'm paying more but the beer tastes better and they are not in the same league. Plus the beers I drink usually have 2-3 times the alcohol content so I don't drink as much. I'd much rather drink 3 cans of Bell's Two Hearted than 6 Bud Lights.

Literally nobody in this thread has said "just drink Coors."

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
This is a bummer. Not that there aren't great replacements, but a couple of their beers are really unique and on my list. Love the flavored sculpins, especially grapefruit.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
A hard seltzer is literally flavored seltzer water with alcohol in them.

RTD's (Ready to Drink) are cocktails that are premixed and ready for consumption.

Gross.

I guess I don't mind the RTD's like Smirnoff but then I grew up.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
No. Zima was wine cooler.

These things now are just alcohol infused seltzer waters.

How would you make one? Would it be like ordering a Jack and Coke but use seltzer water instead? A watered down alcohol with some carbonation, yum. o_O

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I really liked the Grunion and Bonito (sp?), but they are pretty expensive and there are cheaper beers that are just as good.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Have never drank much of their beers but tried Passing Haze and Mango Even Keel a couple of weeks age and was very disappointed on both.

I think the industry is facing a number of challenges. One is the amount of true brewing talent is not keeping up with the number of breweries. Secondly, the race to put out 10 new beers a year is crazy and some of it ends up being crap. Lastly, one thing great about craft beer is it can be very fresh. But, as stores and taverns carry more and more selection, the freshness is bound to suffer.

I've seen Toppling Goliath Bombers sitting warm on the shelf of just about every Hy Vee in Cedar Rapids. It clearly says on the bottle to keep chilled.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was in Australia in 2003, and they had lots of those RTD's. But things like Rum&Coke in a can. I always wondered why we never had them here. I could have sworn they had had Jack&Coke, but that was many years and many RTD's ago.
vauEUgn.gif